Does David Bell deserve an extension?

1 hour ago, brown4 said:

Is that a fact that he's the only one to do that?  I find that hard to believe, but I can't find any examples anywhere through googling.

No, it’s not. It happens every year to someone. Not terribly long ago an AL manager filled out his lineup card wrong and played an entire game without a DH.

Things happen.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

No, it’s not. It happens every year to someone. Not terribly long ago an AL manager filled out his lineup card wrong and played an entire game without a DH.

Things happen.

Gotcha, that's what I thought.  So the basis of him being without a doubt a top 5 worst manager in the league is based on something that is simply not true.  Mainly just someone else's personal opinion with no facts being presented as to why.

Little things like that have always bothered me.  Saying someone is bad, or one of the worst, but presenting no legitimate reasonings as to why is just so lazy to me.

4 hours ago, brown4 said:

Gotcha, that's what I thought.  So the basis of him being without a doubt a top 5 worst manager in the league is based on something that is simply not true.  Mainly just someone else's personal opinion with no facts being presented as to why.

Little things like that have always bothered me.  Saying someone is bad, or one of the worst, but presenting no legitimate reasonings as to why is just so lazy to me.

Yardbarker.com has Bell rated 25th

bleacher report ranked dad Buddy as THE worst manager in baseball history, apple far from the tree??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brown4 said:

Don't forget, he lost 100 games last year.

• Like 1

We’re starting to fall apart

Why leave Diaz in for a 2nd inning, now you’ve lost him for tomorrow night most likely, AND that’s the 2nd time Diaz has given up multiple runs this year, the other in Philly when Bell sent him back out for a 2nd inning???  More brilliant managing by our boy!!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

We’re starting to fall apart

Why leave Diaz in for a 2nd inning, now you’ve lost him for tomorrow night most likely, AND that’s the 2nd time Diaz has given up multiple runs this year, the other in Philly when Bell sent him back out for a 2nd inning???  More brilliant managing by our boy!!!

Maile can pitch tomorrow, he'll be rested.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Lost CES for the game, he would’ve batted in the 9th against a lefty, up 3-1 why do it?  He does stuff like he did in this game all the time is what aggravates me

Exactly. There are fans in every sport that will nitpick every move a coach or manager makes that doesn’t pan out, but it doesn’t make that move wrong at the time.

Bell put speed on the base paths to try to get an insurance run while upgrading outfield defense and infield defense by going from Steer to Benson and CES to Steer. I make that change up 2 runs later in a game every single day. 

If the game ended up being blown by a bad defensive play after a switch wasn’t made or CES couldn’t score on a ball in the gap people would complain about the speed still being on the bench.

The manager can only do so much. In the 9th the leadoff hitter got on, there were 2 intentional walks, you had the bases loaded and stole 2 bases (because the manager made the correct move to pinch run then too). If you can’t score in that scenario you don’t deserve to win.

Fans are the same way about his decisions on pitching, which I often scratch my head about as well. Same people stating he has to start letting guys later in a game and relievers more than an inning were mad he had a reliever go more than an inning last night. I wouldn’t have had Diaz go more than inning yesterday, but you can’t argue both ways everyday.

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Lost CES for the game, he would’ve batted in the 9th against a lefty, up 3-1 why do it?  He does stuff like he did in this game all the time is what aggravates me

Because you are leading 3-1, you want speed to try and add another run and you want defense more than offense with a 3-1 lead late in the game.

• Like 1