I'm Already Sick of the Pitch Clock

I'm old.  I'm irritable, and I don't need more annoyances inserted into a simple game.

I don't understand it.  I don't want someone to explain it to me, and I really don't care.

This is a micro-management that the game does not need.  Balls and strikes being called without a pitch being thrown   Ok, and then there was the close throw-over pickoff attempt at first base, and the runner was awarded second base.  Enough is enough!!!  I am already SICK of it.

This gives John Sadek more trivial detail to attempt to explain on a pitch by pitch basis.

Have we lost our collective minds????    Play Baseball!!!

1 hour ago, Mustang said:

I'm old.  I'm irritable, and I don't need more annoyances inserted into a simple game.

I don't understand it.  I don't want someone to explain it to me, and I really don't care.

This is a micro-management that the game does not need.  Balls and strikes being called without a pitch being thrown   Ok, and then there was the close throw-over pickoff attempt at first base, and the runner was awarded second base.  Enough is enough!!!  I am already SICK of it.

This gives John Sadek more trivial detail to attempt to explain on a pitch by pitch basis.

I totally agree, everyone keeps trying too fix something that isn't broken.

I'd rather watch pitching and hitting than batters adjusting the velcro on both gloves, the velcro on their elbow pad and readjust their helmet after EVERY SINGLE PITCH. I'm not a huge fan of the pitch clock but I am a fan of ending ritualistic preening by hitters and pitchers between each pitch. Let's play ball and get rid of the theatrics, if the only way to do that is a pitch clock, so be it. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'd rather watch pitching and hitting than batters adjusting the velcro on both gloves, the velcro on their elbow pad and readjust their helmet after EVERY SINGLE PITCH. I'm not a huge fan of the pitch clock but I am a fan of ending ritualistic preening by hitters and pitchers between each pitch. Let's play ball and get rid of the theatrics, if the only way to do that is a pitch clock, so be it. 

Agree wholeheartedly.   Baseball needed to speed things up or risk losing a potential generation of fans. 

I had enough of Mike Hargrove - AKA The Human Rain Delay - to last a lifetime. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't giving the home plate umpire the authority to issue an "unreasonable delay" warning, in those incidents, rather than apply this stupid pitch per pitch clock.  It seems like gross overkill to me.

Speed up the challenge process, OR the between innings gap which accommodates promotions and TV/Radio commercials.  Somehow, back in the day we never had issues with 3-Hour plus games.  Most games were played in under 2 Hours-30/45 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Mustang said:

Wouldn't giving the home plate umpire the authority to issue an "unreasonable delay" warning, in those incidents, rather than apply this stupid pitch per pitch clock.  It seems like gross overkill to me.

Speed up the challenge process, OR the between innings gap which accommodates promotions and TV/Radio commercials.  Somehow, back in the day we never had issues with 3-Hour plus games.  Most games were played in under 2 Hours-30/45 minutes. 

The last thing Umpires need is something "subjective" to rule on. Pitch clock takes it out of the Umpires hands and puts it squarely on the players. Can you just imagine the inconsistencies between Umpires, some giving 30 seconds, some a minute, some 10 seconds and those lengths changing not only from ump to ump but from inning to inning.

FWIW, player response so far has been overwhelmingly favorable to the clock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mustang said:

And then in the winter those players went to the Caribbean and played or went home and worked a second job to supplement a somewhat meager regular season income.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brown4 said:

The pitch clock is the best thing to happen to baseball in quite some time.

Has anyone been to a game in person? I haven't, but my parents went to a game in St. Louis a couple weeks ago and my dad said it was the best live baseball experience for a casual fan he's ever had.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Has anyone been to a game in person? I haven't, but my parents went to a game in St. Louis a couple weeks ago and my dad said it was the best live baseball experience for a casual fan he's ever had.

Went last week. So much better.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mustang said:

I am surprised. For someone who reveres the good old days, this should be right up your alley. 2023 game times are at 2:38. You have to go back to the Big Red Machine era 40+ years ago to find average game times at 2:40 or less. MLB has knocked about 30 minutes off the average game times with these rules.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mustang said:

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am surprised. For someone who reveres the good old days, this should be right up your alley. 2023 game times are at 2:38. You have to go back to the Big Red Machine era 40+ years ago to find average game times at 2:40 or less. MLB has knocked about 30 minutes off the average game times with these rules.

Get off Mustang’s lawn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3