Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023 Newport Central Catholic Thoroughbreds

Featured Replies

8 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Is this really a tough schedule? Beechwood was replaced by Raceland, which is a downgrade, and Conner and Scott are terrible.

 

Overall I would say it is a better schedule for NewCath. 

  • Replies 40
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    One thing people need to bear in mind is that these days, NCC has the 8th-smallest football program in the state of Kentucky. Bellevue, Ludlow, Dayton and Bishop Brossart all have more boys.

  • The last time I was in Dayton I was very impressed with the improvements and new construction.  The city of Dayton is on the way up and that is reflected in these numbers. 

  • I've been away for a while now, but I certainly follow how the Breds do on a weekly basis. I'll have a couple Nephews passing through thier in the next couple years. When I graduated we were the small

52 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Is this really a tough schedule? Beechwood was replaced by Raceland, which is a downgrade, and Conner and Scott are terrible.

 

Conner is a repeat of last year, but Scott and Lloyd replacing Holy Cross and Ludlow would be huge upgrades. Raceland may be a down grade from Beechwood, but there aren't that many teams in the state that wouldn't be. I'm sure Raceland will be one of their more competitive games. 

I feel it is a good schedule for NewCath, the district really restricts it from being "tough" overall for me though. 

3 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Is this really a tough schedule? Beechwood was replaced by Raceland, which is a downgrade, and Conner and Scott are terrible.

 

Raceland is a quality opponent to add. I remember both Conner and Scott being pretty solid over the last few years. Definitely down last season but overall solid competition.

I like the schedule for this year. I think adding Lloyd and Raceland is a better option than having Beechwood on the schedule. I been hoping that NewCath would play Lloyd again. The games against Lloyd have always been good games for both teams.  The Raceland game hopefully will be fun to watch also. This schedule should help the RPI also. 

12 hours ago, TheBearsFavoriteHat said:

Conner is a repeat of last year, but Scott and Lloyd replacing Holy Cross and Ludlow would be huge upgrades. Raceland may be a down grade from Beechwood, but there aren't that many teams in the state that wouldn't be. I'm sure Raceland will be one of their more competitive games. 

I feel it is a good schedule for NewCath, the district really restricts it from being "tough" overall for me though. 

I would agree with this, good schedule maybe, but I wouldn’t call it a tough schedule.

1 minute ago, gbballfan21 said:

I would agree with this, good schedule maybe, but I wouldn’t call it a tough schedule.

I think it is tough for NCC. 

  • Author
On 1/30/2023 at 12:28 PM, theguru said:

I think it is tough for NCC. 

One thing people need to bear in mind is that these days, NCC has the 8th-smallest football program in the state of Kentucky. Bellevue, Ludlow, Dayton and Bishop Brossart all have more boys.

The number one issue for Bellevue is then getting those boys out for football. I know times change but there shouldn’t be a reason Bellevue can’t be competitive with NewCath, especially with the dangerously low enrollment. I like the schedule for the Breds but the Conner matchup is meh for me, bigger school I know, but blah. I like the addition of Raceland, it’s a road trip and currently a tougher program. I’m glad the Beechwood game was dropped as Beechwood has just gone to a different level in the last 3 years and it won’t get any better for NewCath.

11 hours ago, Breds82 said:

The number one issue for Bellevue is then getting those boys out for football. I know times change but there shouldn’t be a reason Bellevue can’t be competitive with NewCath, especially with the dangerously low enrollment. I like the schedule for the Breds but the Conner matchup is meh for me, bigger school I know, but blah. I like the addition of Raceland, it’s a road trip and currently a tougher program. I’m glad the Beechwood game was dropped as Beechwood has just gone to a different level in the last 3 years and it won’t get any better for NewCath.

@Breds82 You seem to have a pretty good pulse on all things NCC. With that said, how concerned are you with the enrollment trend at NCC and the lower numbers in the program? Will it continue to trend lower or do you think it will level off? Is it possible that in the not too distant future there could be a problem fielding a competitive team due to numbers? I truly ask not to poke the bear or be critical but because I found it interesting, and quite frankly very surprising that enrollment at CCH and NCC has dropped and I think it is good for NKY football, and KY football, when the "traditional" powers are making noise. 

I've been away for a while now, but I certainly follow how the Breds do on a weekly basis. I'll have a couple Nephews passing through thier in the next couple years. When I graduated we were the smallest class since the combination of OLP/NC. We had over 55 players on the regular. I'd assume lots of folks who went to NewCath moved away from the city, see the suburban boom in Southern Campbell Co, and realized public schools are not as evil as our parents were led to believe. Save around $7,000 a year per student and send to the public school that serves your address and get a better education if not an equal one. When I was in school it was believed that Campbell Co was full of R words because they had a vocational program (lot of college pushers back then) and the majority of people in school were 2nd or 3rd generation to the school. I believe that has been a factor at NCC.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:00 AM, Kenny Powers said:

@Breds82 You seem to have a pretty good pulse on all things NCC. With that said, how concerned are you with the enrollment trend at NCC and the lower numbers in the program? Will it continue to trend lower or do you think it will level off? Is it possible that in the not too distant future there could be a problem fielding a competitive team due to numbers? I truly ask not to poke the bear or be critical but because I found it interesting, and quite frankly very surprising that enrollment at CCH and NCC has dropped and I think it is good for NKY football, and KY football, when the "traditional" powers are making noise. 

1.  NCC is landlocked.  Meaning development in the cities it draws from is a fraction of what it is in the Brossart areas.  

2.  In the late 80's there were the following Catholic Grade Schools that NCC drew from:  Corpus Christi - Newport, St. Francis - Newport, St Vincent - Newport, St Stephen - Newport, St Catherine - Ft. Thomas, St Thomas - Ft. Thomas, St Therese - Southgate, St Anthony - Bellevue, Sacred Heart - Bellevue & St. Bernard - Dayton.  

Now?  St. Catherine and St Thomas both still open.  St Therese is still open.  The 4 Newport, 2 Bellevue and 1 Dayton Catholic grade schools are now all one school and that school has lower enrollment than the other 3 Catholic schools.  

3.  NCC has always drawn from some of the "Brossart" schools but those numbers are lower than in the past.

The Diocese wants and needs to have an "inner city" presence but boy the numbers are shockingly alarming.  This years freshman class was around 35 total students I believe.  Next year they are projecting maybe 60?  

 

 

56 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

1.  NCC is landlocked.  Meaning development in the cities it draws from is a fraction of what it is in the Brossart areas.  

2.  In the late 80's there were the following Catholic Grade Schools that NCC drew from:  Corpus Christi - Newport, St. Francis - Newport, St Vincent - Newport, St Stephen - Newport, St Catherine - Ft. Thomas, St Thomas - Ft. Thomas, St Therese - Southgate, St Anthony - Bellevue, Sacred Heart - Bellevue & St. Bernard - Dayton.  

Now?  St. Catherine and St Thomas both still open.  St Therese is still open.  The 4 Newport, 2 Bellevue and 1 Dayton Catholic grade schools are now all one school and that school has lower enrollment than the other 3 Catholic schools.  

3.  NCC has always drawn from some of the "Brossart" schools but those numbers are lower than in the past.

The Diocese wants and needs to have an "inner city" presence but boy the numbers are shockingly alarming.  This years freshman class was around 35 total students I believe.  Next year they are projecting maybe 60?  

 

 

Wow. I knew enrollment was down but I did not realize just how low; 35 for an entire class is very concerning. Hopefully, new principal Kenny Collopy can drum up some higher numbers. 

I heard back from a player and he has his questions for the interview. Hopefully, he gets to them soon.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:43 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

One thing people need to bear in mind is that these days, NCC has the 8th-smallest football program in the state of Kentucky. Bellevue, Ludlow, Dayton and Bishop Brossart all have more boys.

Dayton having more boys than NewCath is something that I'm unable to wrap my brain around.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.