Louisville to Hire Jeff Brohm

TheDeuce

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Social media has been wild with UL fans going off the rails about Satterfield leaving. Most have made things personal with some of the things they've said about him, especially after Kandra transferred to UC and they got wind that a few commits will be on UC's campus this week end. 

Some of these same fans were fine with him staying when Louisville won 5 of 6 with the only loss being at Clemson...then they lose to UK without Malik and it's announced he's leaving for UC and they go back to "we always wanted him gone."

I don't follow the program and what goes on very closely, but let's not act like Satterfield was pushed out and UC did UL a favor.... He would still be the coach at UL if UC didn't hire him. 

I'm UofL season ticket holder for years and wanted Satterfield gone after last year. I didn't think he deserved extension with raise this year. A good portion of fan base felt like Satterfield didn't want to be here. The fan base always wanted Brohm over him so a lot of fans wanted him gone to make that a reality. Not being competitive with Uofk and him not seeming to understand the rivalry was another factor people would complain. I remember when UofK players gave him L's down on the field and he complained to Stoops about it. UofL fans want a coach that gets the rivalry and shows some fire and not his Aw Shucks attitude. I think a change of scenery going to Cinncinnati will be good for Satterfield. I'm sure he learned from his experience at Louisville which will make him better coach at Cincinnati.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Walter said:

Social media has been wild with UL fans going off the rails about Satterfield leaving. Most have made things personal with some of the things they've said about him, especially after Kandra transferred to UC and they got wind that a few commits will be on UC's campus this week end. 

Some of these same fans were fine with him staying when Louisville won 5 of 6 with the only loss being at Clemson...then they lose to UK without Malik and it's announced he's leaving for UC and they go back to "we always wanted him gone."

I don't follow the program and what goes on very closely, but let's not act like Satterfield was pushed out and UC did UL a favor.... He would still be the coach at UL if UC didn't hire him.

Well, personally speaking, I never was fond of the hire. I thought Satterfield was a ho-hum hire at UofL from the beginning, although I tried to give him benefit of the doubt. Although I don't live in Louisville any longer and I didn't graduate from UofL, I did follow the football team. Just sitting here and counting them up now, I know 9 people with season tickets for Louisville football. None of the season ticket holders I knew wanted Satterfield around any longer.

Frankly speaking, I think Louisville sports are still very much reeling in the wake of the mess created by University President Ramsey and AD Jurich. I think the athletic department on the whole is a struggle, so I'm with you in thinking Satterfield wasn't about to be shown the door - although I certainly would have loved for him to have been. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they actually managed to hire Brohm, even though back when UofL was trying to replace Petrino, Brohm didn't make much if a secret about the fact that he was really hoping Louisville could meet his terms and hire him.

I'm sure there are other folks around Louisville who are upset about Coach Satt's departure, just like I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are thrilled to see him gone, as I am. It is what it is.

Fact of the matter, Louisville ended up with a coach who I think EVERYONE in the pro-Louisville football camp will agree is the better hire, and who is the coach should have been the hire instead of Satterfield in the first place.

I'm glad you're happy with Satterfield. I hope you all do well with him. Genuinely.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Walter said:

The majority of Louisville fans wanted him gone prior to this year. That didn’t change for most, nobody really got back on board with him during the 5 out of 6 stretch, we just knew they wouldn’t fire him if he was bowl eligible, and they wouldn’t have. We would have gone through another mediocre year next year and been in the exact same boat. Josh Heird knew that, which is why he didn’t extend him. 

UC 100% did Louisville a favor by hiring him away. I know they don’t like hearing Louisville fans say that, but it’s the truth. They paid for Louisville to get the guy a lot of people have wanted for 4+ years. Louisville didn’t have to pay a buyout to fire Satterfield or to get a new coach.

I suppose Louisville fans being glad Satterfield is gone makes UC fans uneasy. Some are trying to convince themselves it’s a good hire while throwing shade at Louisville fans for being glad he’s gone.

Satterfield was never a good fit here, for whatever reason. He wanted out because he didn’t want to be in Louisville, so he found the first place that would take him.

Satt may be the perfect fit at UC. I can very easily imagine him having some success there. If UC fans feel some type of way over Louisville fans’ excitement he’s gone, well, that’s a UC problem. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

The majority of Louisville fans wanted him gone prior to this year. That didn’t change for most, nobody really got back on board with him during the 5 out of 6 stretch, we just knew they wouldn’t fire him if he was bowl eligible, and they wouldn’t have. We would have gone through another mediocre year next year and been in the exact same boat. Josh Heird knew that, which is why he didn’t extend him. 

UC 100% did Louisville a favor by hiring him away. I know they don’t like hearing Louisville fans say that, but it’s the truth. They paid for Louisville to get the guy a lot of people have wanted for 4+ years. Louisville didn’t have to pay a buyout to fire Satterfield or to get a new coach.

I suppose Louisville fans being glad Satterfield is gone makes UC fans uneasy. Some are trying to convince themselves it’s a good hire while throwing shade at Louisville fans for being glad he’s gone.

Satterfield was never a good fit here, for whatever reason. He wanted out because he didn’t want to be in Louisville, so he found the first place that would take him.

Satt may be the perfect fit at UC. I can very easily imagine him having some success there. If UC fans feel some type of way over Louisville fans’ excitement he’s gone, well, that’s a UC problem. 

You can not blame Satt for making the jump.  Lack of fan-base support; struggling to win enough just to get to bowls; complete turnover of admin and not being "their guy"; Never beating in-state rival. 

I think the first one - lack of support was obvious this year.  Even after improvement - lots of empty seats.  Had the fans responded to improvement as the season went on the environment would have been more positive.  A win over Kentucky would have made a big impact on this topic.  But it was more on the same - a poor performance start to finish against your rival.

Finally, Satt knew that shadow of Brohm was not going away.  He had to know this move was just a variable of time (channeling some Howard S there).  Its hard to look forward when you keep having to look over your shoulder.  Along with everything else, this issue had to take its toll. 

Brohm is the perfect move at the perfect time.  The Brohm football legacy goes back to the Flaget days and is well embedded in Louisville.  Most of the drama and turmoil at the administration level are now over. And the fans can be unified and excited. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

You can not blame Satt for making the jump.  Lack of fan-base support; struggling to win enough just to get to bowls; complete turnover of admin and not being "their guy"; Never beating in-state rival. 

I think the first one - lack of support was obvious this year.  Even after improvement - lots of empty seats.  Had the fans responded to improvement as the season went on the environment would have been more positive.  A win over Kentucky would have made a big impact on this topic.  But it was more on the same - a poor performance start to finish against your rival.

Finally, Satt knew that shadow of Brohm was not going away.  He had to know this move was just a variable of time (channeling some Howard S there).  Its hard to look forward when you keep having to look over your shoulder.  Along with everything else, this issue had to take its toll. 

Brohm is the perfect move at the perfect time.  The Brohm football legacy goes back to the Flaget days and is well embedded in Louisville.  Most of the drama and turmoil at the administration level are now over. And the fans can be unified and excited. 

And I want to be clear... We don't know if Jeff is going to work out either. But like you said he's the perfect person and the perfect time. Time will tell if it was "the right hire," but we know Satt wasn't. The return hasn't been there, and it was time for both parties to move on. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Well, personally speaking, I never was fond of the hire. I thought Satterfield was a ho-hum hire at UofL from the beginning, although I tried to give him benefit of the doubt. Although I don't live in Louisville any longer and I didn't graduate from UofL, I did follow the football team. Just sitting here and counting them up now, I know 9 people with season tickets for Louisville football. None of the season ticket holders I knew wanted Satterfield around any longer.

Frankly speaking, I think Louisville sports are still very much reeling in the wake of the mess created by University President Ramsey and AD Jurich. I think the athletic department on the whole is a struggle, so I'm with you in thinking Satterfield wasn't about to be shown the door - although I certainly would have loved for him to have been. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they actually managed to hire Brohm, even though back when UofL was trying to replace Petrino, Brohm didn't make much if a secret about the fact that he was really hoping Louisville could meet his terms and hire him.

I'm sure there are other folks around Louisville who are upset about Coach Satt's departure, just like I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are thrilled to see him gone, as I am. It is what it is.

Fact of the matter, Louisville ended up with a coach who I think EVERYONE in the pro-Louisville football camp will agree is the better hire, and who is the coach should have been the hire instead of Satterfield in the first place.

I'm glad you're happy with Satterfield. I hope you all do well with him. Genuinely.

Fair enough.

FWIW, I still have questions about Satterfield but I'm big on first impressions and I think I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until given a reason not to.

Based on what I've seen and heard from him so far, I  think his personality fits in much better at UC with the culture that was built by Fick and this current administration. Time will tell. 

Good luck with Brohm. I think Louisville's football issues extend further than who is leading the program and calling plays but you guys would have a better grasp on that than myself. 

23 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Technically...  The check may have come from UC, but Wisconsin paid that Satterfield buyout when they gave UC the $3.5 mil to get Fickell. 

And Louisville fans are definitely butt hurt about him leaving for UC, regardless of how some of them want to try to spin it. You may have wanted him gone but there's fans that "feel some type of way" that he left for UC and a former rival. If they didn't care, they'd stay out of UC football mentions and stop going to UC message boards to throw shade that he didn't have success at their favorite program. 

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Technically...  The check may have come from UC, but Wisconsin paid that Satterfield buyout when they gave UC the $3.5 mil to get Fickell. 

And Louisville fans are definitely butt hurt about him leaving for UC, regardless of how some of them want to try to spin it. You may have wanted him gone but there's fans that "feel some type of way" that he left for UC and a former rival. If they didn't care, they'd stay out of UC football mentions and stop going to UC message boards to throw shade that he didn't have success at their favorite program. 

Whatever you guys need to tell yourselves. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2