Owensboro at Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates

16thBBall Fan

Owensboro vs. Frederick Douglass  

59 members have voted

1. 1. 5A Semi-finals Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2022 at 11:06 PM

O has guys used to playing Freddie D and athleticism all over.  1 good thing is they will not be deer in headlights.   O needs to move ball flip the field and play defense.  Devils seem to get picks each year and they will need some turnovers no doubt.  First downs  are at a premium for O to be successful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I'm glad some of the O fans are starting to get hype now! Ok, but u guys had 7 points for the game! 2020 we came to Rash, threw two picks and gave up 14 points to start the game , then fought back to lose by 1! 

Goodwin is nice, and he might fight through some blocks like #55 Cov Cath did, and Tommy Zeismer did, but who will break-through the OL for FDHS if he doesn't?

If Douglass uses Ty Bryant from the start like they did in the 2nd half vs Woodford,we WON'T NEED a receiver to step up. I strongly believe our O line is wearing down any opponents DLine if we keep attacking their interior!

My take for Owensboro is, what has changed/improved for you guys since the last visit to the Farm? Looks like same personnel,  same philosophy...  Successful against most opponents, but why would the result change vs Douglass this season? Aside from the Broncos turning the ball over? 

2 comments - who else besides Goodwin on Dline?  If you don’t know I won’t tell you.  

This offensive line for Douglass better than Burton and Clemson signee??  

Also O with a very good line on offense led by Lindsay and Miller.  Lindsay got a UK offer as a freshman after he blocked Douglass line including burton all 2nd half.  Miller has blocked Clements (Purdue signee and Carter from St X). Did phenomenal job on each.

4 hours ago, Brown said:

2 comments - who else besides Goodwin on Dline?  If you don’t know I won’t tell you.  

This offensive line for Douglass better than Burton and Clemson signee??  

Also O with a very good line on offense led by Lindsay and Miller.  Lindsay got a UK offer as a freshman after he blocked Douglass line including burton all 2nd half.  Miller has blocked Clements (Purdue signee and Carter from St X). Did phenomenal job on each.

Yup, I just know Goodwin from looking at posts on here. I just don't recall anyone making any noise last year at the game to think, "next season that kid is going to be a problem for us".  

No, they aren't individually better than Jager and Walker, but as a RT, RG, C, LG, LT they are a better collective unit than that season. IMO. Also, 4 of the 5 OL starters are seniors. That experience makes a difference. We don't generally score in chunk plays, 2-3 plays. We can drive the ball downfield consistently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Yup, I just know Goodwin from looking at posts on here. I just don't recall anyone making any noise last year at the game to think, "next season that kid is going to be a problem for us".  

No, they aren't individually better than Jager and Walker, but as a RT, RG, C, LG, LT they are a better collective unit than that season. IMO. Also, 4 of the 5 OL starters are seniors. That experience makes a difference. We don't generally score in chunk plays, 2-3 plays. We can drive the ball downfield consistently.

Wow - better than that line is saying something 2 high level D1 guys and the others weren’t too shabby.

1 hour ago, Brown said:

Wow - better than that line is saying something 2 high level D1 guys and the others weren’t too shabby.

Don't forget there was a 3rd guy on that line who was a 2 star recruit, and is now at EKU.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

My take for Owensboro is, what has changed/improved for you guys since the last visit to the Farm? Looks like same personnel,  same philosophy...  Successful against most opponents, but why would the result change vs Douglass this season? Aside from the Broncos turning the ball over? 

A couple minor changes. At the running back position the Devils have a 4 man threat now in Goodwin, Hampton, Winstead and Carbon so fatigue at the position should be none existent. Last year Barksdale, was our main ball carrier since Carbon was playing with a semi-recovered injury. He was elusive and tough but not on the scale of a healthy Carbon or the speed of a Hampton, Winstead or Goodwin. With this back field I see the Devils being better abled to wear down the Douglass defense. Outside blocking is better with the addition of Kimbrell who is a nice size WR.

On defense for the Devils not much changed but not much needed to be changed. Don’t give up the big pass play this year and this game is much closer. We also need to stay alert. Douglass is going to try to catch us off guard early and swing momentum there way. We can’t let that happen. What I noticed about Douglass is there a momentum team and that’s what got them beat by Boyle last year. Not that Boyle was better or more talented but that they were better prepared and shell shocked Douglass early. The Devils will definitely need to establish momentum early.

44 minutes ago, Devils Fan said:

At the running back position the Devils have a 4 man threat now in Goodwin, Hampton, Winstead and Carbon so fatigue at the position should be none existent

Hmmm. Looking at your two competitive wins this season, vs Hendo (14-8 win) and Greenwood (27-21), Carbon carried the ball 37 times for roughly 238 yds, while Winstead carried 4 times for 6 yds, Hampton 1 carry for 3 yds and Goodwin 1 carry for a 46 yd TD. 

So it appears that Carbon is indeed your go-to workhorse (which if he is the best at the position, he SHOULD get the lion's share of work).

With that said, it absolutely appears that a winning effort would be forcing another player aside from Carbon to make big plays. Looks like we load the box and dare Boone to pass vertically. Greenwood appears to have limited your passing attack, but I'm not sure if Greenwoodnwas a 3 man defensive front, or a 4 man defensive front.

The Red Devil defensive line has a tall task against our rushing offense. Vs Wofo, TJ Horton had 9 carries for 32 yds, Davaun Hart 10 carries for 42 yds, and Ty Bryant 16 carries for 106 yds.

However, the previous week vs Cov Cath, Horton carried 13 times for 57 yds, Hart 8 times for 10 yds and Bryant 3 times for 40 yards. I would say we have a truer RB stable, with the backs splitting all the meaningful carries throughout the season. 

I will say this. The trash talk clearly rattled Horton last week, he was visually upset and talking trash to Yellow Jacket defenders but had several miscues in the 1st half. That won't be as much of an issue with the visitors from the other side of the state.

2 hours ago, KP33 said:

Don't forget there was a 3rd guy on that line who was a 2 star recruit, and is now at EKU.  

Who? Only FDHS OL I am aware of that was on a EKU roster was 2 year starter Jake O Buck and he transferred and played his senior HS year in Georgia, not for FDHS. 

Dalton Quigley and Romarion Warner signed with Georgetown, so I am not sure who you could be referencing...

One thing to note from last year's game was the loss of Trey Miller and Kanye Johnson during the game.  Both were significant blows to the Devils.  The offense really changed after they had to shuffle the OL with the loss of their best lineman.  Also, as soon as Kanye exited the game on the backend of the defense, FD hit that back breaking pass play.  To be clear, I thought it FD was the best team on the field last year and I do not think those injuries would have changed the outcome but it most certainly made it a lot tougher on Owensboro.

For Owensboro to have any shot to win this game, I think they will need a 14-7, 10-7 type of outcome.  If Douglass can put a couple of touchdowns on the board, I just don't know if the Devils offense can keep up.  Goodwin at RB last week was a nice wrinkle, as Bryant was for FD.  I will be curious if the Devils have any other new wrinkles this week?  They have game breakers everywhere in Winstead, Hampton, Rogers and Pendleton.  It is just a matter of finding ways to feature them without getting away from who they are. 

Defensively, the Devils are a lot more than just Goodwin. They play pretty darn good as a complete unit.  Miller has really came on strong up front, eating up blockers and helping the much improved LB corps.  Hines playing both ways doesn't seem to have slowed him down.  Zach Clark is as good as a rover as you're going to find in the state of Kentucky.  Ask Dekel Crowdus about that match-up a couple years ago.  Owensboro has proved to be a pretty strong unit against 2 very good 6A teams in St X and Henderson this year.  I believe they'll need to be even better to pull the upset here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Yup, I would know. I've watched them in person for 6 years.

While I’m a lot more invested in FDHS this year, going to every varsity and JV game, I did see them play twice last season and I think top to bottom this team is much better and more experienced. It’s difficult to think you could lose a Dane Key and Sam Cornett and actually be better but I think this is a more complete team. The team really has no weaknesses. You could say their passing game is lacking but Cole Carpenter was just named to Prepspin’s all state team and they have a very deep stable of receivers. I went thru their player recruiting cards and they have 9 players with D1 FBS offers, 4 with D1 FCS offers and at least one with a NAIA offer. Ty Bryant was also just named as the Paul Hornung Ky player of the year and Cooper is ranked the #4 kicker in the nation by Kohl’s.  With all that depth and star players, the thing that impresses the most is how they function as a team and build each other up. Having seen things with more of an insiders perspective this season, they have an amazing team culture with laser focus on their goal. Just like last week when the run game was struggling, they go to a player that averages fewer than 3 carries a game and he takes over. 

• Like 2

The Owensboro defense is improved from last year - similar to how the FD O-line is better.  They are 1-year older, stronger faster and wiser. Most of the seniors were starting when O beat FD 28-27. Last year Wimsatt quit mid-year and Boone was thrust into the spotlight quickly.  I would have loved to seen the game last year with Wimsatt and Miller healthy.  I think there is mutual respect between the 2 teams and they will both bring their best.  Again, field position is important.  Don’t get down if you don’t score.  Simply get 1st downs, move the ball and flip the field.  Play defense and make them go 70 yards each time.  IF they do that, this can be a close game.  The hi-lo is definitely in FD’s favor.  They have potential for 28-35 point win if things go south and turnovers.  O’s potential for HI is probably 7 to 10 points and that is if everything goes perfect and turnovers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Who? Only FDHS OL I am aware of that was on a EKU roster was 2 year starter Jake O Buck and he transferred and played his senior HS year in Georgia, not for FDHS. 

Dalton Quigley and Romarion Warner signed with Georgetown, so I am not sure who you could be referencing...

Yeah I was talking about Jake, my mistake, I forgot that he transfered in the off-season prior to the season when Douglass and Owensboro had their first match up.

• Thanks 1