USA Today Poll 1/8/07

mobaar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UConn is a joke.

I'll agree that the media is in love with mid-majors and it shows in the rankings. I know the rankings are rather worthless but after awhile it does get to the point where it's unbelievable. And before someone jumps on my case about UK not having a "big" win, I agree. However, there's no reason they shouldn't squeeze in at 20-25.

I guess UConn's grueling lineup of Albany, Sacred Heart, and Texas Southern is what gave them the nod.

UK has moved back up to 32 in the AP poll and finally appear in the ESPN/USA Today poll at number 36.

Amazingly they are #3 on the strength of schedule and #8 on RPI.

:flame: One thing that burns me up is the fact that Indiana is ranked ahead of us and we have beat them already this year.

:flame: One thing that burns me up is the fact that Indiana is ranked ahead of us and we have beat them already this year.

If UK wins there first 7 in the SEC (Georgia away and Tennessee at home) then they should be in the top 20. If they go 5-2 then I expect them to remain outside the top 25. If they are worse they'll be in LOTS of trouble and so will Tubby's job. If they go 6-1 they'll crack the top 25. The biggest problem is they've had 3 "big games" and they've lost all 3. Out of those 3 games only 1 was close. KY is getting penalized for playing in a tough tournament.

KY is getting penalized for playing in a tough tournament.

I guess they should use UConn's strategy in the future. Lets play every state school we can, and when we run out of small schools in KY to play, we can schedule Marshall, WV State and so on.. All home games of course. Appearently doing this and losing your first two road games, garners more respect than losing playing a tough schedule and losing to three top 20 teams. :rolleyes:

It's just a chance for a lot of haters to take a shot at "The University of Kentucky". There are a lot of good teams out there but I don't think anyone that has a vote could say with a straight face that there are actually 35teams better than UK. Oh well, it will all play out on the floor. I see the Cats loosing at between 4 - 6 games now til tourney time. I think this will put them in a 3-5 seed which would be fine with me. I don't think many teams ranked over us now will look forward to seeing us on their side of the bracket.

12-0 at home. Wins over Quinnipiac, Fairfield, Albany, Central Arkansas, Sacred Heart, Texas Southern, St. Mary's, Pepperdine, Ole Miss and Coppin St.

0-2 on the road. Lost to WVU and LSU by 10 and 17, respectively.

That's what the resume of all ranked team should look like.

University of Kentucky

8-0 @ Home: Wins over Miami (Ohio), Mississippi Valley State, College of Charleston, Indiana, Santa Clara, Massachusetts, Eastern Kentucky and Houston.

2-1 on Road: Wins over Louisville and Mississippi. Lost to #1 North Carolina by 12.

2-2 @ Neutral Sites: Wins over DePaul and Chattanooga. Losses to #3 UCLA (by 5) and #19 Memphis (by 17).

Truthfully, I don't see a huge difference between UK and UConn's resume. I think Kentucky should maybe be 21-25, but I'm not certainly not upset that they aren't ranked. This team, today, just isn't that good. In a month they could be.

I guess they should use UConn's strategy in the future. Lets play every state school we can, and when we run out of small schools in KY to play, we can schedule Marshall, WV State and so on.. All home games of course. Appearently doing this and losing your first two road games, garners more respect than losing playing a tough schedule and losing to three top 20 teams. :rolleyes:

Since Kentucky won the national championship in 1998, the University of Connecticut is 22-5 in NCAA tournament play with two national championships and two elite eight appareances.

Kentucky is 16-8 over that time, with three elite eight appearances. It looks like Connecticut's scheduling strategy is working well to me.

I still don't know if UK belongs in the top 25 just yet, but I will say Indiana getting more votes is the first thing that has upset me. But it just goes to show you how much a win over a ranked team (even a paper tiger and one ranked as low as Michigan State) is worth more than multiple wins over unranked opponents, even on the road. UK is not ranked because the only thing that would've gotten the attention of voters is a victory over a Top 25 team, and UK couldn't do it in the three chances they had. They'll have their chances coming soon enough. Their next ranked opponent is UT.

University of Kentucky

8-0 @ Home: Wins over Miami (Ohio), Mississippi Valley State, College of Charleston, Indiana, Santa Clara, Massachusetts, Eastern Kentucky and Houston.

2-1 on Road: Wins over Louisville and Mississippi. Lost to #1 North Carolina by 12.

2-2 @ Neutral Sites: Wins over DePaul and Chattanooga. Losses to #3 UCLA (by 5) and #19 Memphis (by 17).

Truthfully, I don't see a huge difference between UK and UConn's resume. I think Kentucky should maybe be 21-25, but I'm not certainly not upset that they aren't ranked. This team, today, just isn't that good. In a month they could be.

Indiana was also at a neutral site seeing as how it was not at Rupp and tickets were split evenly between the two schools, as they are every year. As far as UConn's schedule being on par with UK's, that's a joke. SOS for UK is #3 currently, UConn's is 244. UConn had played 10 games before they even left their state.