Who Will Be Louisville’s New Head Coach?

TheDeuce

Even though he would be "coming home" would this be a better job than Purdue? I think most football people feel the Big 10(or 14 or whatever) is a bigger stage than the ACC. Personally I enjoy the ACC.

Can’t imagine the money is good enough to lure someone from the SEC or Big Ten (minus Brohm, potentially). Can’t see an ACC coach moving laterally. PAC-12 seems out of range. Maybe someone from the Big 12 but most of those guys seem settled or possible choices for a bigger job. Almost has to be a coordinator or another G5 coach. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Saw a Louisville fan post that AD has scheduled a meeting with Satterfield in the morning. 

Could this go down this soon?

I doubt that’s true. 

And even if it were, the conversation would likely only be “Fire the defensive coordinator if you want a chance at keeping your job” at this point. 

13 hours ago, The Raven said:

Thoughts on an ex-professional coach?   Some one like Jason Garrett or Sean Payton?    That is the longest of long-shots, but it would be interesting.

Sean Payton will be on an NFL sideline next season as a head coach. Sometimes it works, but I'm always luke warm on hiring NFL coaches with no college coaching experience.

• Like 2

I hope they keep Satterfield. I believe he is a good coach who has better athletes are on the way. (don’t those always make coaches look good!) Sometimes you have to give them time for their system and culture to take hold. Louisville is close to turning the corner. Look at UK as an example.

I agree some coaching staff changes are in order but I believe better years are ahead. Stay with him another few years!

• Like 2

This is contract year for Satterfield so will have to make decision to either extend his contract or fire him. I think unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat will have a losing season since best teams are on back half of schedule which means will most likely get fired. Satterfield has been stubborn and loyal to his defensive coordinator which is going to cost him his job. I think for financial reasons the next coach will be a power 5 coordinator or outside power 5 head coach. They could probably raise money from donors to get Brohm but not sure he would leave Purdue. I'm a UofL football season ticket holder for years and I thought Satterfield should have been gone last year. I was hoping Satterfield would get it turned around since he seems like great guy but he's not getting it done and 4 years is enough.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:45 PM, FootballBobcat said:

I hope they keep Satterfield. I believe he is a good coach who has better athletes are on the way. (don’t those always make coaches look good!) Sometimes you have to give them time for their system and culture to take hold. Louisville is close to turning the corner. Look at UK as an example.

I agree some coaching staff changes are in order but I believe better years are ahead. Stay with him another few years!

Couldn't agree more. I remember when members of this board were calling for UK coach Rich Brooks to be fired. They gave him time and things turned positive. 

Heck, I remember the same treatment for Stoops. Now, in Stoops we trust. 

Systems take time to install (3 to 5 years). Be patient, bite your tongue, deal with the pain. Then enjoy the reward. 

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, FootballBobcat said:

10 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Couldn't agree more. I remember when members of this board were calling for UK coach Rich Brooks to be fired. They gave him time and things turned positive. 

Heck, I remember the same treatment for Stoops. Now, in Stoops we trust. 

Systems take time to install (3 to 5 years). Be patient, bite your tongue, deal with the pain. Then enjoy the reward. 

I'm more on the conservative side like you, but I get both sides of the argument. Regardless of talent, when you have a true game-changer as a head coach in college, there is normally an immediate impact felt. Think of someone like PJ Fleck in Minnesota. Maybe it doesn't equate to a 10-2 season by year 2, but there are noticeable differences in the program and direction it is headed. I get the sense, from afar, that fans and those around the program aren't seeing a dynamic game-changer in Satterfield. That is wonderful he has some talent coming in next season. But college football talent A. Doesn't have the same immediate impact as it does in college basketball; and B. While talented, it is not as if UL is going to be confused with Alabama type athletes on the field to cover up any coaching warts. College football is big business and schools' patience wears thin much faster than it used to, for better or worse.