How are the All A and 2A Tournaments different?

5-oh

7 minutes ago, 5-oh said:

What are the requirements for All A and 2A participation?

The All A takes the lowest 125 (? something like that) schools based on enrollment.  So you will see some schools come and go year by year.  Lloyd Memorial is out this year for example.  I would think the 2A does something similar

I don't know the exact numbers used but from looking at some of the teams eligible for each one, the All A Classic looks like 1A and 2A teams in football terms and the 2A Classic includes 3A and 4A schools.  

Here is an old thread where John Hardin played Scott.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

All A are "A" schools and 2A are "2A" schools.

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I don't know the exact numbers used but from looking at some of the teams eligible for each one, the All A Classic looks like 1A and 2A teams in football terms and the 2A Classic includes 3A and 4A schools.  

Here is an old thread where John Hardin played Scott.

I stand corrected. Apparently a lot more goes into this than I realized! 

• theguru changed the title to How are the All A and 2A Tournaments different?

When the All A went statewide during the 1989-90 season the majority of the schools were smaller enrollments than what you see today. What has happened is quite a few counties have consolidated their schools into a central county school systems and since the All A’s policy is to take the smallest 125 schools that means the enrollments numbers have gone upward. 
For instance, in my 14th region here are the schools that were eligible in 1990 that are no longer in existence: Dilce Combs, Fleming-Neon, and Letcher High. Whitesburg was too big for a few years but was in the tournament eventually. 
In Floyd County Allen Central and South Floyd have consolidated. Several Pike County schools have consolidated. In Harlan County Cumberland and Evarts have consolidated in with Cawood to create Harlan County High. 
The qualification numbers have edged upwards over the years. Breathitt County, Leslie County,  Knott Co Central, Shelby Valley, etc have all been eligible now for several years. I think that Breathitt and Knott’s 9-12 enrollments are around 650. 

I really like the All A tournament. My school, Owsley County, has won the regional tournament 4 times in boys and the girls have won 3. It is very popular in my county with basketball fans.
It’s always been a well organized state tournament, too. The late Stan Stiedel is to be commended for his efforts in getting it off the ground and flying 32 years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blue-five-two said:

Are these tournaments sanctioned by the KHSAA? 

No, they are independent of the KHSAA. Some schools simply choose not to participate in it. You would never see that in the Feb-Mar KHSAA districts and regions. 
I suppose the best way to look at it is that it’s a statewide invitational tournament. The winning trophy says “All A State Championship”. So, since all 120 counties are eligible to participate if they meet the requirements it is a statewide tournament. 

A few schools have won both the All A State and the KHSAA state in the same year. Hazard’s girls did it about 20 years ago. I think Shelby Valley boys did it too. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Professor said:

No, they are independent of the KHSAA. Some schools simply choose not to participate in it. You would never see that in the Feb-Mar KHSAA districts and regions. 
I suppose the best way to look at it is that it’s a statewide invitational tournament. The winning trophy says “All A State Championship”. So, since all 120 counties are eligible to participate if they meet the requirements it is a statewide tournament. 

A few schools have won both the All A State and the KHSAA state in the same year. Hazard’s girls did it about 20 years ago. I think Shelby Valley did it too. 

Boys, University Heights in 1992, Shelby Valley in 2010.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, The Professor said:

A few schools have won both the All A State and the KHSAA state in the same year. Hazard’s girls did it about 20 years ago. I think Shelby Valley boys did it too. 

Holy Cross Girls did in 2015.

• Thanks 1