Bengals at Browns Predictions/Updates

Bengals vs. Browns  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/2022 at 06:02 PM

20 hours ago, theguru said:

From Cincyjungle.com:

Placed safety Vonn Bell, linebacker Akeem Davis-Gaither (already on injured reserve), defensive end Trey Hendrickson, center Trey Hopkins and guard Quinton Spain on the NFL COVID-19 list.

Add Joe Mixon to the Covid list.  If there's ever a week to have it, this is it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

What's your feeling on how things transpired in Pittsburgh?  On one hand, you (the Browns) can't say you're limiting Chubb because of all the wear and tear from the season, and on the other hand, have Baker out there getting drilled when you know for a fact how injured he already is.  From an outsider's point of view, that whole situation was just bizarre.  I felt like Stefanski had picked up a beater (Baker) off of Craigslist for a demolition derby and was going to drive it til the wheels fell off or the engine blew up.  Seemed like he cared 0% for Baker's well-being (long term or short term) that night.  All of this while Chubb was averaging 5 yards a carry.

Chubb received a rib injury early in the game versus Pittsburgh.  That's why he spent a lot of time on the sideline. Chubb has not yet been cleared to play against the Bengals.  

Mayfield's situation is not similar to Chubb's, because Chubb was injured and couldn't play.  With Mayfield, you have a guy that was pretty injured all season long.  Each time he was asked about his health, he'd say he was fine and whatever injuries he had did not effect his ability to throw the ball.  I didn't believe it at any point in the season and I don't believe it now.  For all the criticism of Mayfield, you have to take into account the injuries that bothered him since Week 2.  He really toughed it out.  The team consulted the team doctors, they consulted Baker, they watched him in practice.  Each week the doctors cleared Mayfield to play and Mayfield insisted he would play.  He is too much of a competitor to not play.  He wanted to lead the team to the playoffs for the second year in a row.  And he wanted to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh on Monday night. 

The surprising thing is that Mayfield is not playing against the Bengals.  He said he was not injured any more against the Steelers, so theoretically he could play just like he has all season.  So, why is he not playing Sunday?  In fact, he has been placed on injured reserve.  This marks a definite change and I think the change is in Mayfield.  He let out a couple of digs during the post-game interview about the way things were handled during the Steelers game.  He mentioned that the Rookie RT should have been given more help in blocking Watts.  When asked about his injury and if he would play next week, he stated he needed to talk it over with his agent and family (not the team doctors or coaches).  He also said, "Now it is time for me to start looking at what's in the best interest for me and my health."   I think the beating he took in Pittsburgh made him reassess and he is not happy with the way the offense was run on Monday. 

It appears he holds Stefanski responsible for not doing something offensively to slow down the assault.  And it marks a change in Baker's attitude.  Prior to Monday, his attitude was "I am going to play come hell or high water."  Now, he doesn't want to play next week and he is looking to his self-interest first over the team.  When he first said he wasn't going to play, I wondered if he would be on the sideline ready to "sub-in" in case of injury to Keenum or Mullens.  The team eliminated the scenario of Mayfield refusing to go on the field by placing him on Injured Reserve.  I believe this means Mayfield and Stefanski have some issues to work out between them.  It will be interesting to watch this offseason.  It may effect whether he remains with the team.  

18 hours ago, oldgrappler said:

Chubb received a rib injury early in the game versus Pittsburgh.  That's why he spent a lot of time on the sideline. Chubb has not yet been cleared to play against the Bengals.  

Mayfield's situation is not similar to Chubb's, because Chubb was injured and couldn't play.  With Mayfield, you have a guy that was pretty injured all season long.  Each time he was asked about his health, he'd say he was fine and whatever injuries he had did not effect his ability to throw the ball.  I didn't believe it at any point in the season and I don't believe it now.  For all the criticism of Mayfield, you have to take into account the injuries that bothered him since Week 2.  He really toughed it out.  The team consulted the team doctors, they consulted Baker, they watched him in practice.  Each week the doctors cleared Mayfield to play and Mayfield insisted he would play.  He is too much of a competitor to not play.  He wanted to lead the team to the playoffs for the second year in a row.  And he wanted to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh on Monday night. 

The surprising thing is that Mayfield is not playing against the Bengals.  He said he was not injured any more against the Steelers, so theoretically he could play just like he has all season.  So, why is he not playing Sunday?  In fact, he has been placed on injured reserve.  This marks a definite change and I think the change is in Mayfield.  He let out a couple of digs during the post-game interview about the way things were handled during the Steelers game.  He mentioned that the Rookie RT should have been given more help in blocking Watts.  When asked about his injury and if he would play next week, he stated he needed to talk it over with his agent and family (not the team doctors or coaches).  He also said, "Now it is time for me to start looking at what's in the best interest for me and my health."   I think the beating he took in Pittsburgh made him reassess and he is not happy with the way the offense was run on Monday. 

It appears he holds Stefanski responsible for not doing something offensively to slow down the assault.  And it marks a change in Baker's attitude.  Prior to Monday, his attitude was "I am going to play come hell or high water."  Now, he doesn't want to play next week and he is looking to his self-interest first over the team.  When he first said he wasn't going to play, I wondered if he would be on the sideline ready to "sub-in" in case of injury to Keenum or Mullens.  The team eliminated the scenario of Mayfield refusing to go on the field by placing him on Injured Reserve.  I believe this means Mayfield and Stefanski have some issues to work out between them.  It will be interesting to watch this offseason.  It may effect whether he remains with the team.  

All that probably is some of the reasons why he decided to shut it down now. I think the biggest change though is they were eliminated. I honestly don’t think he would have played last week either if he knew going into the week that they were eliminated. However, he practiced all week preparing to play the Steelers because it wasn’t until the day before when the Bengals won that they got eliminated. So after practicing and preparing all week, it was to late to pull out and say no I rather not play now. Then after taking the beating he did, it definitely sealed the deal that he would shut it down. With them being eliminated there was no reason for him to go out there and get beat down anymore. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Raven said:

This game is totally up in the air.   Will the Bengals back ups be able to beat the Browns back ups?

While the one seed would be nice, the chances are remote enough that I think resting Burrow, and potentially Chase is the way to go.

Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, Jonah, Awuzie, Bates, Apple, Wilson, Pratt, Reader, Larry O are all guys that probably shouldn’t play this week. 

40 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

All that probably is some of the reasons why he decided to shut it down now. I think the biggest change though is they were eliminated. I honestly don’t think he would have played last week either if he knew going into the week that they were eliminated. However, he practiced all week preparing to play the Steelers because it wasn’t until the day before when the Bengals won that they got eliminated. So after practicing and preparing all week, it was to late to pull out and say no I rather not play now. Then after taking the beating he did, it definitely sealed the deal that he would shut it down. With them being eliminated there was no reason for him to go out there and get beat down anymore. 

You make a good point about practicing all week and not knowing they were eliminated until the day before.  But I don't know if a Brown's QB sits out a game with the Steelers.  However, you make a very good point.  

• Like 1

With the two catches for 26 yards Chase became the Bengals record holder for yards in a single year. He looks to be out for the day, so he won't have a shot at the all-time record for a rookie WR. However a awesome season so far with I hope some more big games ahead this season.

• Thanks 1