4. Russell at Wheelersburg (OH)

5. Ashland vs. George Washington (WV)

6. Belfry vs. 2A #2 Lexington Christian Academy

7. Elizabethtown at 4A #10 John Hardin

8. Paducah Tilghman vs. 2A #3 Mayfield

9. Taylor County vs. 4A Spencer County

10. Glasgow vs. 2A Monroe County

• Like 2

The locals will be grouchy at me, but I don't think Bardstown should be at #2 - yet. Call me old-fashioned, but you can't give up close to 300 yards in a game to a running back, and claim your D needs to be at #2.  These kids are pretty grounded, but I don't want them reading this ranking and getting the big head.

That said, I don't really have a good picture who should be above them. Belfry may start 0-5. PT is young, I have it on pretty good authority Glasgow is struggling, Russell looks like they might be pretty good, Ashland is down, E-Town is down, so, I really don't know.  I think a few games the next two weeks will reveal some.

• Like 3

After starting out with McCracken and Graves, it sure doesn't get any easier if you're a Tilghman fan. 

In the next 8 games, it's not unrealistic to say they may only be favored to win against probably Trigg and Webster. They've got probably a 50/50 game against Union County, who beat Tilghman twice last year and will be another test this season. They play Henry County(Paris), Tn the game before Union. 

The next 3 weeks starting this Friday, they've got.....

2A #3 Mayfield

5A #3 South Warren

6A #8 Henderson County

They end the season at 4A #9 Hopkinsville

Although I hope they win several of these, who knows. They could get a game or two we don't expect, they could lose a big majority of them.

As @Hearsay mentioned, I believe the next 2 or 3 weeks will go a long way in helping sort out this jumbled up mess we call Class 3A. 

There will be a lot of us battle tested by the time the playoffs start. What that equates to this year, your guess is as good as mine. 

• Like 1

Just now, TilghmanPride said:

After starting out with McCracken and Graves, it sure doesn't get any easier if you're a Tilghman fan. 

In the next 8 games, it's not unrealistic to say they may only be favored to win against probably Trigg and Webster. They've got probably a 50/50 game against Union County, who beat Tilghman twice last year and will be another test this season. They play Henry County(Paris), Tn the game before Union. 

The next 3 weeks starting this Friday, they've got.....

2A #3 Mayfield

5A #3 South Warren

6A #8 Henderson County

They end the season at 4A #9 Hopkinsville

Although I hope they win several of these, who knows. They could get a game or two we don't expect, they could lose a big majority of them.

As @Hearsay mentioned, I believe the next 2 or 3 weeks will go a long way in helping sort out this jumbled up mess we call Class 3A. 

There will be a lot of us battle tested by the time the playoffs start. What that equates to this year, your guess is as good as mine. 

For Tilghman, avoiding injuries is key over the next few weeks. They should be the favorite in District 1, but if you have kids banged up, Union County could very well beat the Tornado. That means a second round playoff game at Union County. If Tilghman can gain some experience, avoid injuries, and compete with the next few opponents, they could possibly make a deep postseason run.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hearsay said:

The locals will be grouchy at me, but I don't think Bardstown should be at #2 - yet. Call me old-fashioned, but you can't give up close to 300 yards in a game to a running back, and claim your D needs to be at #2.  These kids are pretty grounded, but I don't want them reading this ranking and getting the big head.

That said, I don't really have a good picture who should be above them. Belfry may start 0-5. PT is young, I have it on pretty good authority Glasgow is struggling, Russell looks like they might be pretty good, Ashland is down, E-Town is down, so, I really don't know.  I think a few games the next two weeks will reveal some.

I tend to agree with you here. I don't know if Bardstown is the second best team in Class 3A, but I'm not sure who is if it isn't them. Class 3A is wide open this season.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:57 PM, Purple88 said:

This class seems pretty wide open to me.  As a team will likely get hot late in the year and roll to a championship.

How deep can you go making a case for a potential state champion? I think you can argue for the top eight and not get laughed out of the room. Good or bad, in no other class in Kentucky can you say that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

For Tilghman, avoiding injuries is key over the next few weeks. They should be the favorite in District 1, but if you have kids banged up, Union County could very well beat the Tornado. That means a second round playoff game at Union County. If Tilghman can gain some experience, avoid injuries, and compete with the next few opponents, they could possibly make a deep postseason run.

They will learn a lot about themselves these next several weeks against Mayfield and South Warren. I still believe you can learn a lot about yourself, even if that happens to be in a loss. 

They need to at least compete at a high level to give them some confidence moving forward. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

How deep can you go making a case for a potential state champion? I think you can argue for the top eight and not get laughed out of the room. Good or bad, in no other class in Kentucky can you say that!

I really don't know anything about Taylor County at #9, but I thought at the beginning of the year that Glasgow could be in the mix to at least compete deep in the playoffs this year.  I know they are down and have underperformed to date and likely struggling at the moment, but I still think they have time to put the pieces together to make a run late in the year.  But I think I could say the "put the pieces together to make a run late in the year" for all those teams ahead of Glasgow as well. 

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I really don't know anything about Taylor County at #9, but I thought at the beginning of the year that Glasgow could be in the mix to at least compete deep in the playoffs this year.  I know they are down and have underperformed to date and likely struggling at the moment, but I still think they have time to put the pieces together to make a run late in the year.  But I think I could say the "put the pieces together to make a run late in the year" for all those teams ahead of Glasgow as well. 

Will be fun to see how it plays out.

I think if Glasgow can improve on defense they will be a tough out. I know they were shut out against WC but they still moved the ball ok and probably should’ve scored a couple times. And then last week against Russellville they pretty much ran the ball at will with 3 players rushing for over a hundred yards and another with 90with only a handful of carries. And I know Russellville is not a great team but they have some skill offensively as they had their entire senior class come back for the extra year. I think Russellville will be pretty tough in 1A as well.

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

I think if Glasgow can improve on defense they will be a tough out. I know they were shut out against WC but they still moved the ball ok and probably should’ve scored a couple times. And then last week against Russellville they pretty much ran the ball at will with 3 players rushing for over a hundred yards and another with 90with only a handful of carries. And I know Russellville is not a great team but they have some skill offensively as they had their entire senior class come back for the extra year. I think Russellville will be pretty tough in 1A as well.

That's pretty amazing. You don't even see something like that from the most run dominant teams in the state. I just looked it up, and Glasgow had four ball carriers combine for 426 yards on 36 carries. That's ownership of the line of scrimmage.

The Scotties return too much from a good team to not be a factor come November. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Elizabethtown should be out of the top ten after John Hardin beats them this Friday. Their loss to a pretty bad Meade County team last week, is telling. 

And E'town's step backwards shouldn't really surprise anyone. They've been on a great run the last several years, so you give them the benefit of the doubt for preseason rankings, but you can't lose what they lost and not miss a beat. This should have been expected.

The next two weeks will really tell us where the Panthers stand.