Covington Catholic 42 Belfry 13

Wow....two tough weeks for the Pirates. Coach Haywood and his staff will have them right where they want to be by about the fifth week. 5A in NKY might be really interesting this year. Might be one of top overall districts in KY....at least right now lol.

Congrats to the Colonels. Big win vs a great  program in their house in the middle of the night. I’ve always wanted to go see a game at Belfry. I’m not sure if it was as cool of an experience at midnight. Looks like Colonels are still the Colonels. 

Next week should be another exciting game against Lexington Catholic. LexCath beat Pulaski County last night and Pukaski County beat Belfry 55-13 in week 1. The last 2 meetings against LexCath have been decided by a point. 

I still think we need a ton of work on offense. We got a lot breaks last night from turnovers. I think Belfry had 4 turnovers. A few of those put us in good field position. 

The defense did a solid job. Not everyday you deal with a triple option type of offense. 

Congrats on the win. The schedule doesn’t get any easier. 

• Like 1

A few thoughts after finally getting a chance to watch this one:

BELFRY

- Belfry is probably going to finish 4-6 and have a very competitive game with Lawrence County and Pike Central in two of those wins. That schedule is stupid. With that said, they still have a chance of reaching the Semi's again. Somehow.

- Lots of Belfry fans gnashing their teeth about Dixon as QB where you limit his number of carries. I dont agree. With that said, Belfry has to find more wrinkles if they want to do anything special. Just not a lot of firepower besides Dixon right now. I want to see a little more creativity. Start in the pistol and shift down to the flexbone and vice versa. No huddle fast tempo. Maybe even let Hatfield line up at Qb and put Dixon in the slot out of the pistol. What I do know is Belfry will not win running their traditional belly option, they also will not win running three or four plays out of the pistol.

- Definite improvement on Defense from Week 1, but still light years away from being a championship contender threat on that side of the ball.

- I have been hinting, nudging, implying, and downright saying that Belfry had some dark clouds on the horizon as talent pool and depth for about a three class cycle simply was not up to what was expected. This team is the culmination of that. Belfry has maybe 40 players and basically no depth.

COVCATH

- I went from not impressed to rather impressed in a hurry with their offense. Holtz is a much better QB when he is on the move or adding to their rushing game. Hummel is the guy who syncs up best with him. I like Collins, but he doesn't have the versatility or explosion as Hummel.

- Passing game has a long way to go compared to some previous CCH teams. Need a little more creativity getting Agee the ball in space. I think finding ways to get the ball to their HB's will help as well. If they can use these guys to stretch the opposing defenses' vision outside the hash marks I think it opens some passing for their big TE down the middle.

- Defense looked really good for the most part with great speed and fundamental tackling. A little light on the LOS, but there shouldn't be many 5A teams capable of imposing their physical will.

- Much like on offense, Agee really stood out as a player to watch.

OVERALL

- I wish this game was scheduled between 2015-2019. Don't think this is anywhere near the best CCH team we have seen in recent years and know this Belfry team is one of the weaker teams they have had in over a decade. Still a treat to see one of the State's true blueblood elites coming to EKY.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, ATLCat said:

OVERALL

- I wish this game was scheduled between 2015-2019. Don't think this is anywhere near the best CCH team we have seen in recent years and know this Belfry team is one of the weaker teams they have had in over a decade. Still a treat to see one of the State's true blueblood elites coming to EKY.

Other than a couple of playoff trips to Johnson Central, I'm guessing this is Covington Catholic's only ever trip to deep Eastern Kentucky. I'm really glad they are in the bowl. I'm guessing they'll play Pikeville next season or is it a repeat with Belfry?