Convince me this isn't the Worst the 9th Region has been overall in a long time!!

I disagree. The 9th's representative is typically out early in the Sweet 16. But overall the 9th region in the recent past has OVERALL been one of the better regions.

Think about this though. How many times in the past 5 years has the 9th region representative got bounced by either the eventual state champ or state runner up?

05/06- Covcath loses to eventual state runner up Apollo by 4 points.

04/05- Holmes loses to eventual state runner up Warren Central by 4 points

03/04- Covcath loses in semi finals to eventual state champ Warren Central by (you guessed it) 4 points

02/03- St Henry loses to eventual state champ Mason County by 2 points

In all of those years, that was the closest game any of the teams had in the sweet 16. So yea the 9th region might get bounced early, but look at the competition and margin of score. The last time a 9th region team wasn't bounced by an enventual state champ or runner up was in 01'. IMO thats not a bad showing by the 9th region. It's all about luck of the draw.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about this though. How many times in the past 5 years has the 9th region representative got bounced by either the eventual state champ or state runner up?

05/06- Covcath loses to eventual state runner up Apollo by 4 points.

04/05- Holmes loses to eventual state runner up Warren Central by 4 points

03/04- Covcath loses in semi finals to eventual state champ Warren Central by (you guessed it) 4 points

In all of those years, that was the closest game any of the teams had in the sweet 16. So yea the 9th region might get bounced early, but look at the competition and margin of score. The last time a 9th region team wasn't bounced by an enventual state champ or runner up was in 01'. IMO thats not a bad showing by the 9th region. It's all about luck of the draw.

Interesting summary, thanks as I didnt think of it that way. We still need to get over the hump. Holmes advanced as far as you can without winning it in 2005 so that was a nice representation. Cov Cath should have won that Apollo game last year and advanced further. I think for the most part we are not the weakest team in the Sweet 16 yr in yr out but never the favorite.

Interesting summary, thanks as I didnt think of it that way. We still need to get over the hump. Holmes advanced as far as you can without winning it in 2005 so that was a nice representation. Cov Cath should have won that Apollo game last year and advanced further. I think for the most part we are not the weakest team in the Sweet 16 yr in yr out but never the favorite.

In all of those games, the 9th region team had the lead for the majority of the game too and at the end lost it. So yea, just like you said, it's all about getting over the hump and playing a full game.

I know for Ex. Holmes had a 6 point lead over Warren Central in the 04 tourney with 1:30 to go and a few miscues at the end of the game cost them.

If I recall, Mason Co, with University of Cincinnati QB Dustin Grutza and Tennesse basketball stud Chris Lofton, won the rest of their games after round one by almost 20 points, per game!:scared:

That '03 St. Henry team was still the best team to come out of the region since possibly the '81 Pioneers. They had it all. If Michael Schmidt doesn't go down at the end of the first half with a serious leg injury, no doubt in my mind St. Henry wins that game and brings home the title to NKY.

No question, the 9th is down this year. Many excuses I hear is that the football players aren't back yet. The playoffs were over a month ago. How long does it take to get back?? :irked:

-CardinalsFan

You contradicted yourself with those two statements. Your 1st sentence is dead on. I'm not sure what the overall thing means. You either win at the sweet 16 or you don't. The 9th doesn't. One in how many years? ( I am counting the SK 81 champion as 9th region) Is there another region that has one or less state titles?

No, there is more to a basketball region's OVERALL good or bad play than the Sweet 16. I'm talking about how many good teams reside in the 9th region this year as opposed to other years. I'm talking about teams that can win the 5/3 Tourney, or the Ashland Invitation, or the Louisville tourneys.

We all know the 9th region hasn't been good at the Sweet 16 but overall the 9th has had many teams that could compete with the best from the rest of the State. This year I'm not so sure there is even one that can. Potentially there might be a couple but I'm not sold on that yet and I certainly don't see five or six.

If I recall, Mason Co, with University of Cincinnati QB Dustin Grutza and Tennesse basketball stud Chris Lofton, won the rest of their games after round one by almost 20 points, per game!:scared:

That '03 St. Henry team was still the best team to come out of the region since possibly the '81 Pioneers. They had it all. If Michael Schmidt doesn't go down at the end of the first half with a serious leg injury, no doubt in my mind St. Henry wins that game and brings home the title to NKY.

No question, the 9th is down this year. Many excuses I hear is that the football players aren't back yet. The playoffs were over a month ago. How long does it take to get back?? :irked:

-CardinalsFan

St. Henry's 03 team was not even close to being the best team to come out of the 9th region since the 81 SK team. Get real.

Holmes 89-90 team that lost to Fairdale in the State Championship game was much better than St. Henry. Holy Cross's teams of 90-91(that lost in the semi's) and the Harney & Clark team was better. Plus, Highlands teams of Lorenzen & Smith were much stronger and more talented than St. Henry.

St. Henry's '03 team was good, but would not have had a chance against the teams I mentioned above.

:thumb:

St. Henry's 03 team was not even close to being the best team to come out of the 9th region since the 81 SK team. Get real.

Holmes 89-90 team that lost to Fairdale in the State Championship game was much better than St. Henry. Holy Cross's teams of 90-91(that lost in the semi's) and the Harney & Clark team was better. Plus, Highlands teams of Lorenzen & Smith were much stronger and more talented than St. Henry.

St. Henry's '03 team was good, but would not have had a chance against the teams I mentioned above.

:thumb: Agree 100%

No, there is more to a basketball region's OVERALL good or bad play than the Sweet 16. I'm talking about how many good teams reside in the 9th region this year as opposed to other years. I'm talking about teams that can win the 5/3 Tourney, or the Ashland Invitation, or the Louisville tourneys.

We all know the 9th region hasn't been good at the Sweet 16 but overall the 9th has had many teams that could compete with the best from the rest of the State. This year I'm not so sure there is even one that can. Potentially there might be a couple but I'm not sold on that yet and I certainly don't see five or six.

Holmes can compete with any team in the state and have for the past 3 years with the same group. Covcath even though a little down this year can also compete with the elite in the state. To say that NO 9th region team can compete with state powers is an absurd statement.

The 89-90 Holmes team IMO is the closest team to win the state championship from the 9th besides SK. Had the correct call been made, Holmes and SK would be the only 2 teams to win it all.

Holmes can compete with any team in the state and have for the past 3 years with the same group. Covcath even though a little down this year can also compete with the elite in the state. To say that NO 9th region team can compete with state powers is an absurd statement.

Well the 5/3 tourney is the perfect opportunity to prove that the 9th region is the worst it has been in a long time. If Holmes or CovCath make it far in the tourney maybe things aren't so bad, if they don't have a good showing then maybe things are bad.

Well the 5/3 tourney is the perfect opportunity to prove that the 9th region is the worst it has been in a long time. If Holmes or CovCath make it far in the tourney maybe things aren't so bad, if they don't have a good showing then maybe things are bad.

I'll agree with that...but remember both teams are playing w/o kep players.

Holmes (Jefferson)

Covcath (Bovard, Shult?)