Convince me this isn't the Worst the 9th Region has been overall in a long time!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking guards. Not players. I think you will see him in the near future and he will not leave you unsatisfied. Simpson, Ryan, and Lenhof have left me wishing for more. If I were talking players I would talk about Keirnan and Rice.

Here are my top 5 guards:

1) HIll - Holmes

2) Jefferson- Holmes

3) Jacobs- Covcath

4) Henderson- Holmes

5) Bray- Boone

Sorrell isn't better than any of those guys. All have way more experience, and have played on much larger scales than Sorrell. Sorrell is a player, don't get me wrong, just not one of the TOP 5 in the region.

I'd say that St. Henry hasn't competed against the qulity opponents that Holy Cross has. Sorrell has shined during these matchups. Get your stats!!!:walk:

Doesn't matter how many points he has if they aren't getting the W. That's what separates good and great players. St Henry was obviously the better TEAM.

For Example: Hill scores 30 points, but has 12 assists to go along w/ it and his team wins by 20. That's an everyday performance for him, which is why he's the best the 9th region has to offer. When Sorrell starts putting numbers up like that EVERY game, then he can be considered top 5 material. :thumb:

Here are my top 5 guards:

1) HIll - Holmes

2) Jefferson- Holmes

3) Jacobs- Covcath

4) Henderson- Holmes

5) Bray- Boone

Sorrell isn't better than any of those guys. All have way more experience, and have played on much larger scales than Sorrell. Sorrell is a player, don't get me wrong, just not one of the TOP 5 in the region.

Give me your opinion after Holmes plays Holy Cross. When is that game scheduled for. Be sure to PM me, I'll sit next to you and eat crow or I'll sit there and say nothing except he is a great player.:thumb:

Doesn't matter how many points he has if they aren't getting the W. That's what separates good and great players. St Henry was obviously the better TEAM.

For Example: Hill scores 30 points, but has 12 assists to go along w/ it and his team wins by 20. That's an everyday performance for him, which is why he's the best the 9th region has to offer. When Sorrell starts putting numbers up like that EVERY game, then he can be considered top 5 material. :thumb:

OK, Hill scores 30 and 12 assists, GREAT game. I still don't think you are comparing Sorrell to the top 5 GUARDS in the ninth. I think if you looked at his numbers, you would say that I'm right.

Boone lost to Russell and there are defintely a lot of questions about Boone. I'll be suprised if Simpson scored 13 against Brossart(if he did they came off of free throws). Bovard and Lenhof aren't explosive. Please tell me when they will lead their teams to victory against decent competition. Sorrell is as explosive as they get. Give him an inch and he will explode.

Boone lost by five to the undefeated top team in the 16th region, without Boone's starting point guard and with McFarland on the bench with foul trouble for a good part of the game. I'm sure Boone could have played better, but give Russell credit. Boone is young but could surprise if they get hot at the right time and get/stay healthy.

Other than holding out hope that CovCath gets better when football players get in the swing and that they can go deep on the bench........and that Holmes might come around offensively..................and that Boone Co is young.................that still would only be three potentially decent teams whereby in past years finding 5 state-tough teams in the region was expected and 8 was a good year................I'm not convinced yet that this year isn't the worst 9th region in a long, long, time.:cry:

Okay 9th Region Fans convince me I am wrong about how bad overall the 9th region is this year!!!

My take:

CovCath: Very average team right now (has potential to improve due to football), lost to St. Henry and Lafayette already, looked horrible against NCC, best game might be the 2 point loss to Cin. St. X. And they might be the creme of region.

Holmes: Lost to Simon Kenton (8th region), recent games are in the 30-50 point range which isn't their game, just haven't beem all that impressive so far but at 7-2 they have to be one of the best teams in the 9th.

Boone Co: Hey at least they win (7-0) so maybe that will carry over to the tougher part of the schedule. I ain't buying yet but maybe they save the year for the 9th?

St. Henry: Had some nice wins at 5-4 but I think they have taken full advantage of the October 15 non-football start and the other teams will catch up to them.

Highlands: Not this year see the lopsided loss to Brossart.

Holy Cross: Maybe a fair All-A team but thats about it.

NewCath: Same thing as Holy Cross.

Dixie: Not impressive thus far.

Conner: Same

Newport: Same

Overall the 9th region teams are 55-63 on the year.

If this isn't the worse overall 9th region performance in a long time tell me why it isn't!!!

I think one thing that is missing out of the equasion is this Simon Kenton going to the 8th currently 8-0 and Bishop Brossart going to the 10th they are also undefeated they would currently be the 1 and 2 teams in this region. While this might not be the reason year after year, it is this year.:thumb:

What is Holy Cross record?? Didn't they lose to Lenhof and St Henry? :sssh:

No they haven't lost to Lenhoff & St. Henry, that would be CovCath or Louisville HC!! HC is currently 3-5 with losses to Cincy Oak Hills (the largest HS in Ohio), LexCath, Scott County, George Rogers Clark and Bishop Brossart. Wins over Cincy schools Roger Bacon, Aiken and Harrison. Pretty strong early season schedule and I'll say they're one of the best 3-5 teams in the state!!

Cory Sorrell is indeed one of the top guards in the ninth region so far this year IMO. I thought of him as only a spot up shooter in the past, but he's really improved his defense and his ability to create his own shot!! As Lucky Charms said watch him this year before you judge, and quit going on what somebody did in years past!!

On the original matter, I think the deep runs in football made by CovCath, NCC and Ryle have helped lead to some of the slow start in the ninth this year; but would argue that the normal depth of the region is off quite a bit, as some teams are just off this year? Jefferson's injury at Holmes and Schult's and Brown's at CCH haven't helped the top two teams' starts either. This class of '07 has had some very good AAU teams over the last several years, and I'm certain that these athletes will be accounted for by the end of the season. The division of NKY, sending some good teams to the 8th & 10th hasn't helped the overall quality of the 9th region either!! It's still among the upper echelon regions in the state, although the top teams in the 8th or 10th could certainly play with those in the 9th!!

who???

Well, as for summer ball, CovCath defeated the following teams: South Laurel, Doss, Madison Central, Bryan Station, LexCath, Jtown, and Shelby County, just to name a few. I'm sure Holmes defeated plenty of teams as well, fballstud can tell you those.

As for the regular season, CovCath defeated Lexington Dunbar (who just put up 103) and barely lost to Lexington Lafeyette, both without 2 (potentially 3) starters. They also lost in the last minute to Cincinatti St. X with starters out. I will concede that Holmes has not been "tested" but their only losses are to a solid SK team and an Ohio team (of whom I know nothing).

I think we can agree that right now the 9th is way down. But I see plenty of room for growth, especially at the top.

On the original matter, I think the deep runs in football made by CovCath, NCC and Ryle have helped lead to some of the slow start in the ninth this year; but would argue that the normal depth of the region is off quite a bit, as some teams are just off this year? Jefferson's injury at Holmes and Schult's and Brown's at CCH haven't helped the top two teams' starts either. This class of '07 has had some very good AAU teams over the last several years, and I'm certain that these athletes will be accounted for by the end of the season. The division of NKY, sending some good teams to the 8th & 10th hasn't helped the overall quality of the 9th region either!! It's still among the upper echelon regions in the state, although the top teams in the 8th or 10th could certainly play with those in the 9th!!

:thumb:

Maybe there's also more parity now...

Parity maybe but what quality parity?

In the past there were maybe 5 teams that could win the region and compete with the top teams in the state. And another 5 teams that could win the region in an upset and could make a decent showing against some of the better teams.

Now this year maybe CovCath and Holmes could make a decent showing. And while those teams aren't heads and shoulders above the other 9th region teams at this point............does that mean it is good parity or mediocre parity.

Maybe there's also more parity now...

I don't know about that, because NKY and the 9th region have always been a different animal? So many small HS's!! Seldom in recent years do schools like Heritage, Cov. Latin, Beechwood, Ludlow, Dayton, Newport, Villa, Bellevue, etc. compete for the region. Another big factor this year would appear to be down years by traditional contenders, the large Boone County schools; who other than a somewhat untested Boone appear to be not very good?? Add these up and it will be the usual suspects competing for the title in March!!

Holmes only two losses have come to Sk (At Sk in OVERTIME), who is hands down the top team in the 8th region, and a division 1 Dayton, Ohio team that is pretty solid by a combined 6 points.

Their wins have come against Hazard (top team in their region), Pendleton, a TN team, South Oldham (another solid team) , Franklin Co (who i know nothing about), and Beechwood.

It is only the end of December. When all of CCH football players get back, and Jefferson of Holmes gets back, I think all of those saying the 9th region is weak are going to be very surprised.

As for Sorrell is concerned. He is a good player, but IMO not a top 5 guard in NKY. If you think he's better than Hill, Jefferson, Henderson, Jacobs, or Bray then you need to do a little thinking. Let's wait and see how he does against some of the 9th region's best before we declare him the best guard in nky or even top 5 for that matter. If he p[roves me wrong, I'm very humble, and I'll be glad to eat crow and congratulate the young man and give him credit where it's due.