Convince me this isn't the Worst the 9th Region has been overall in a long time!!

St. Henry's 03 team was not even close to being the best team to come out of the 9th region since the 81 SK team. Get real.

Holmes 89-90 team that lost to Fairdale in the State Championship game was much better than St. Henry. Holy Cross's teams of 90-91(that lost in the semi's) and the Harney & Clark team was better. Plus, Highlands teams of Lorenzen & Smith were much stronger and more talented than St. Henry.

St. Henry's '03 team was good, but would not have had a chance against the teams I mentioned above.

That St. Henry team beats Smith and Lorenzon and were deeper than Harney & Clark's team. Five very good seniors making a good team. Smith and Lorenzon's best team was with Glaser in the middle. Without him, Highlands was only a two man show with very limited guard play. I think that the CovCath team from a couple of years ago that lost to Warren Central in the Semi's has been very underrated. They are a ball being dribble off of the leg from playing Mason Co. in the finals that year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That St. Henry team beats Smith and Lorenzon and were deeper than Harney & Clark's team. Five very good seniors making a good team. Smith and Lorenzon's best team was with Glaser in the middle. Without him, Highlands was only a two man show with very limited guard play. I think that the CovCath team from a couple of years ago that lost to Warren Central in the Semi's has been very underrated. They are a ball being dribble off of the leg from playing Mason Co. in the finals that year.

The St. Henry team was a very good team, but they were pretty even with Ryle, SK, and Highlands in 03 alone, to say they are the best since 81 is more than a stretch. To say they were better than Holmes with Bingo, Holy Cross with Clark & Harney, and Highlands with Smith and Lorenzen is silly.

The St. Henry team was a very good team, but they were pretty even with Ryle, SK, and Highlands in 03 alone, to say they are the best since 81 is more than a stretch. To say they were better than Holmes with Bingo, Holy Cross with Clark & Harney, and Highlands with Smith and Lorenzen is silly.

I agree with you on the St. Henry comparison. They had a strong team that year and I will leave it at that.

I would say the Holmes team with Jennings/Al Pouncy/Eilers/Brown/Cory pouncy were maybe the best team I have seen and played against. SK's 81 team though from what I have read was verrrrry good though.

After the showings at the 5/3rd by Holmes and CovCath (Holmes over St. X and losing by 2 to GRC; CovCath beating Doss and throwing away a game against Male), there needs to be a lot of crow-eating in this thread.

Maybe I'm one of them.

CovCath is good, they will NEVER give up (that attitude comes from the coach). They might not be the most athletic, but they will give everything they got and that is admirable, considering they beat Doss and gave Male a run.

As for Holmes, I know they have some missing links still, and they gave GRC a great run. I still think GRC wins this one if BOTH teams are healthy (Jones [17 pts., 9 rbs average] & Jefferson were out). I think Clark misses Jones more so than Holmes misses Jefferson. However, Holmes still played tough.

I wish I could have seen them play different teams in the losers bracket, but I'll also take a good rivalry game as well. I think that minus these two teams the Ninth is one of the weakest in the state.

I wish I could have seen them play different teams in the losers bracket, but I'll also take a good rivalry game as well.

Agreed, it was fun watching teams that didn't know each other match up and we get to see this potentially three more times this year.

I think that minus these two teams the Ninth is one of the weakest in the state.

I guess that's true, but you can say that about plenty of regions (4th, 5th, 8th to name a few)

However my favorite part of the 9th region is that the lower teams can normally make the games with the top 2 competitive.

With Male beating GRC rather handily, it makes the CovCath loss to Male now look pretty good.... It is still a loss, but something the Colonels can build on....

Tell coach List. that loss looks pretty good. Then duck. Back to the point of the thread, the 9th region this year is about the same as usual. A couple of decent teams, a group of average teams, and some not so good. Makes for competition within itself but come March one and done will be the theme.

After the showings at the 5/3rd by Holmes and CovCath (Holmes over St. X and losing by 2 to GRC; CovCath beating Doss and throwing away a game against Male), there needs to be a lot of crow-eating in this thread.

Huh? Both out in the Quarterfinals.

2000: NCC runner-up (or champion if you want to count that WestMn. FLA had to forfeit all their games)

2001: Highlands semi-finalist

2002: Highlands quarter-finals, Holmes quarter-finals

2003: Highlands quarter-finals

2004: Highlands second round

2005: Holmes semi-finalist

So 2006 looks to be average or slightly under-average for the 9th in this tourney.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I keep bringing this thread back, but here is more evidence.....

CovCath recently defeated Lex Lafayette (top 25) and Louisville Male (#3) without two senior starters, including Todd Jacobs who has been the centerpoint of this team for 3 years.

Since Holmes is "predicted" to run away with the region, that means that the 2nd best team in the region his beating the best teams in the state severely shorthanded. Please show me another region that can match that.

CovCath recently defeated Lex Lafayette (top 25) and Louisville Male (#3) without two senior starters, including Todd Jacobs who has been the centerpoint of this team for 3 years.

Since Holmes is "predicted" to run away with the region, that means that the 2nd best team in the region his beating the best teams in the state severely shorthanded. Please show me another region that can match that.

Actually given Holmes weakened state now, and who knows what state when together again..........CovCath's run has established them as the top team but could be an argument that the rest of the region is pretty average overall after them. Boone Co. has leveled off, NCC and St. Henry and Holy Cross are good A teams but haven't established themselves to be anything special, Highlands is going south, Dixie, Ryle,Conner etc. nothing special.

Got to say other than CovCath and maybe Holmes (but maybe not) it is hard to make a case for any other Ninth region team being considered at an elevated level.

It just goes to show what good coaching means to this team.