Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC???

Walter

18 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Apparently FSU and Clemson have also reached out to the SEC. 

Marc Ryan is a small time radio personality in the Clemson area... Not sure he's the most credible source on that claim. 

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

Marc Ryan is a small time radio personality in the Clemson area... Not sure he's the most credible source on that claim. 

Both schools would be foolish to want to leave the ACC for the SEC. 

That being said, if they were entertaining the idea, they certainly wouldn't want anybody knowing. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Both schools would be foolish to want to leave the ACC for the SEC. 

That being said, if they were entertaining the idea, they certainly wouldn't want anybody knowing. 

Why do you think they would be foolish to want that? Purely a competitive worry about the SEC?

The ACC media rights contract that they're locked into is brutal.  I know from a Florida State perspective, the money that they would gain by being in the SEC would be very, very needed. 

38 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Why do you think they would be foolish to want that? Purely a competitive worry about the SEC?

The ACC media rights contract that they're locked into is brutal.  I know from a Florida State perspective, the money that they would gain by being in the SEC would be very, very needed. 

Let me rephrase... 

If they wanted to go to the SEC, it's purely about money. They gain nothing competitively by joining the SEC. 

• Like 1

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Let me rephrase... 

If they wanted to go to the SEC, it's purely about money. They gain nothing competitively by joining the SEC. 

It's D1 college football.  It's always going to be about money.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, CincySportsFan said:

Gotcha.  Makes sense.

My next question is, how are they going to determine who's the conference champion.  I think it'd be possible that you end up with multiple teams with an identical record and no head-to-head to break the tie.  No way they're going to have a semi-finals with each of the four pod winners, are they?

I think in case of a 3-way tie it would be the two highest ranked that would make the conference championship. 

No way they have a four team playoff...at this point. 

How far are some willing to take things to ensure the "Tagalong 8" get paid before OU and UT leave for the SEC?

There are people now asking for ESPN to be investigated for "the potential destruction of the Big XII Conference and any anti-competitive or illegal behavior that occurred relating to manipulating the conference change or contractual television rights."

At K-State alone, they'd be looking at a reduced annual economic activity of up to $250 million and an elimination of 1,915 jobs. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the rest of the Big 12 can offer to make themselves desirable to TV in the short term. Maybe a package deal with the PAC and some cross scheduling, but without Texas and OU there isn't a lot of national appeal to draw in huge TV money. The best move financially for them would be to merge with the PAC and then pray that Fox or whomever can build it into a brand people get excited about. Fox could run PAC/Big12 games from 1pm est to 2am est every Saturday. That huge block across all time zones might give them a small edge that they need.

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'm not sure what the rest of the Big 12 can offer to make themselves desirable to TV in the short term. Maybe a package deal with the PAC and some cross scheduling, but without Texas and OU there isn't a lot of national appeal to draw in huge TV money. The best move financially for them would be to merge with the PAC and then pray that Fox or whomever can build it into a brand people get excited about. Fox could run PAC/Big12 games from 1pm est to 2am est every Saturday. That huge block across all time zones might give them a small edge that they need.

Does the Pac12 have anything to gain by merging with the B12 or forming a scheduling Alliance? (The conference commissioners did meet yesterday)

1. None of the B12 leftovers live up to the academic standards of the P12 schools. 

2. The TV ratings for B12 games that didn't include Oklahoma or Texas were on par with a matchup between two American conference teams. (Excluding UC and UCF, who had higher ratings and more viewers playing "lesser" opponents)

3. None bring a recruiting/media footprint worth adding. 

Realignment/expansion is about football value (how you help a conference in the CFP), recruiting/media footprint, and academic connections/footprint. Your individual value has to be above pro rata for it to make sense for a conference to add you. 

In the case of Oklahoma and Texas, they likely add $100 mil to the SEC so it makes sense to add them because the size of the pie increases for the rest of the conference. 

27 minutes ago, Walter said:

1. None of the B12 leftovers live up to the academic standards of the P12 schools. 

Let's be honest, although the Big 10 and Pac 10 / 12 like to brag about their academic standards, academics aren't going to factor into planning for the survival of a D1 football conference.  Money is king.  Always has been.  If academics were so important why not poach from the Ivy League. 

7 hours ago, Walter said:

Does the Pac12 have anything to gain by merging with the B12 or forming a scheduling Alliance? (The conference commissioners did meet yesterday)

2. The TV ratings for B12 games that didn't include Oklahoma or Texas were on par with a matchup between two American conference teams. (Excluding UC and UCF, who had higher ratings and more viewers playing "lesser" opponents)

3. None bring a recruiting/media footprint worth adding. 

Realignment/expansion is about football value (how you help a conference in the CFP), recruiting/media footprint, and academic connections/footprint. Your individual value has to be above pro rata for it to make sense for a conference to add you. 

In the case of Oklahoma and Texas, they likely add $100 mil to the SEC so it makes sense to add them because the size of the pie increases for the rest of the conference. 

The biggest plus for the PAC would be added exposure nationally be expanding all the way to the central time zone. Yes WVU is in the eastern, but that's just one team. The PAC could package games as I stated earlier, for 12 to 14 straight hours every Saturday. Currently their games get national network coverage for about 6 hours most weeks.

3 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

The biggest plus for the PAC would be added exposure nationally be expanding all the way to the central time zone. Yes WVU is in the eastern, but that's just one team. The PAC could package games as I stated earlier, for 12 to 14 straight hours every Saturday. Currently their games get national network coverage for about 6 hours most weeks.

10 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

Let's be honest, although the Big 10 and Pac 10 / 12 like to brag about their academic standards, academics aren't going to factor into planning for the survival of a D1 football conference.  Money is king.  Always has been.  If academics were so important why not poach from the Ivy League. 

3 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Look at the tv ratings though for the leftover 8. None add enough value for media partners to pony up the extra $$$ to make it worth the Pac 12 adding them. If I can find the tweet, I'll link it, but tv ratings for B12 games were terrible in games that didn't include OU or TX. 

This is why Fox and ESPN both declined to renogotiate a tv deal early and one of the reasons OU/TX chose to leave for the SEC. 

Best case scenario is the B12 adds a few of the top AAC schools and media partners let them stay in the $20mil per year range.

There's also the "culture" differences as well between the two leagues, their universities, and overall fanbases.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...