Highlands vs. Elizabethtown Predictions/Updates (Sweet 16® Championship)

KHSAA Sweet Sixteen Championship  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 state champion?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/03/2021 at 11:00 PM

The 2021 KHSAA state basketball championship will be decided on conditioning and determination just as much as Xs and Os and shot selection. E'town has the edge in recovery time, with Highlands not finishing off Ashland until a quarter past three o'clock. 

Does Sam Vinson have enough left in the tank to deliver one last Mr. Basketball caliber performance, or will the Panthers do what they've done to everyone else so far and run, run, run to a state title?

Elizabethtown is seeking its second state basketball championship, with the first coming in 2000. Highlands is in search of its inaugural title on the hardwood to compliment its trophy case full of football hardware.

Game time is set for 8pm.

54a4ss.thumb.jpg.44ecf8812223cdc30533bd8b6f004a24.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Homer says "Go Birds!"

I think the McCracken game showed us we could grind it out without Sams points. Muhlenberg and Ashland showed us what could happen when Sam is Sam. 

I think the style of Ashland allowed us to play 2 games today vs similar teams whereas E-town has to change their game plan.

GO BIRDS.....

E-town has had too much quickness/speed for every team they have played in the tournament and I don’t see that changing tonight. A missed shot attempt is a layup on the other end of the court in the blink of an eye. Whether Highlands can slow them down is the question because no one else has, including powerful Ballard.

Also the 3s that Highlands is so good at will not go uncontested tonight. Now, with that said Vinson is very capable of taking over the game and winning it for the Bluebirds. He is one of the most impressive high school talents I’ve seen at the tournament. But I think the Panthers win by around 5. 

• Like 1

We here in the 9th Region couldn’t ask for more than to have a team in the finals considering that many thought that only CovCath could have done that this season, but the Birds are showing their worth without doubt, and you don’t just settle for getting there, you’re playing for all the marbles. 

Not surprised that they won their first 3, but this game does have me worried. 

E-Town is just so quick with savvy fake out moves to the basket, smart, and totally in rhythm with each other in their dynamic quick passing, and sharing the ball. They have balanced double figure scoring from an all senior starting line-up, and use their shortness to their advantage in their ball thievery, and while both teams could suffer from tired legs, the Panthers seem less likely to be affected.  

I’d like to see Herald get hot to take some of the pressure off of Vinson & Muller. Harris will have to be a beast on the boards and be aware of the quick hands around him. Barth can be pesky too on ‘D’ so hopefully he turns it on both defensively and offensively. The Birds, even while it’s not unusual to rely on your top scoring leaders in big games like this, I think that Highlands will need balanced scoring to match E-Towns balanced scoring. 

Go Birds!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Bluebirds have been prolific all year from beyond the arc. Two tournament records are within reach tonight:

Highlands has made 28 3's in three games. The record is 33 by Trinity in 2017.

Luke Muller has netted 13 treys of his own. Chris Lofton of Mason Co. set the record of 17 in 2003.

Whether they break records or not, I think Highlands has the means to beat any team, and enough left in the tank to win tonight.

• Like 2

2012 was the last year the semis and final were held on the same day. A look at the results from The Scoreboard in years previous - late game winners were just as likely to win the title as those who won the earlier game. Catch a blow, it's title time.

• mcpapa locked this topic