Elizabethtown 65 George Rogers Clark 44 (Sweet 16® Quarterfinals)

Absolutely Elizabethtown can win it all. They won’t have any easy opponents from here on, but I felt coming into the tourney they were one of four (them, Ballard, Bowling Green, Highlands) that conceivably could. They continue to play well. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

If they are hot the last two games I think so.

Valid point. lol

Their next opponent with either be Bowling Green (who they've already defeated) or Ballard (they've not played). Should be a great semifinal either way.

• Like 1

E'town wobbled GRC early before the Cardinals steadied themselves, but E'town's quickness was troublesome throughout. The Panthers shot 59% (27/46) for the game, with Jaquais Franklin earning high point honors with 22 (also 8 rebounds and six assists). Alandre Murphy was right behind him with 21. Seventeen assists on 27 made baskets for E'town.

Jevonte Morton led GRC with 16 points. Trent Edwards and Aden Slone joined him in double figures with 10 apiece. All 10 of Edwards' points came on 5/5 shooting in the 3rd quarter.

• Thanks 1

If I remember right, in the Courier-Journal's ranking of the 16 teams, E-town was second, so I certainly think they can win it all.  Short, quick team, preys on turnovers. I've not seen them live, but we've all seen teams like that - and it just comes down to matchups.  What happens if they play a good team with real size?  Will the shorter, quicker team make the big team look slow and lumbering, simply unable to cope with the speed of the game, giving up fast break after fast break?  Or does the taller team make the opponent look diminutive, unable to rebound or get anything near the basket, relying on the perimeter to score?  Have seen it work both ways. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mojocat said:

If I remember right, in the Courier-Journal's ranking of the 16 teams, E-town was second, so I certainly think they can win it all.  Short, quick team, preys on turnovers. I've not seen them live, but we've all seen teams like that - and it just comes down to matchups.  What happens if they play a good team with real size?  Will the shorter, quicker team make the big team look slow and lumbering, simply unable to cope with the speed of the game, giving up fast break after fast break?  Or does the taller team make the opponent look diminutive, unable to rebound or get anything near the basket, relying on the perimeter to score?  Have seen it work both ways. 

I had the same questions when E-town played Cov Cath. I thought speed would be an issue; colonel-fan pointed out athletic bigs would be the difference. He was right. Cov Cath out-rebounded the Panthers 45-22, and held them 16 points below their scoring average. Ballard has overall size similar to the Colonels, but Bar is 6-10 too. 

So Ballard has size, and generally they're known to be quick and can score in bunches. I think  Ballard is deeper, and Bar gets more touches in the E-town game. The Bruins win by double-digits today.

• Thanks 1