Covington Holy Cross 96 Augusta 95

What a game this afternoon in the Panthers Den. The Indians pulled out to a 10 point lead at the end of the first quarter, 29-19 but the Panthers came storming back in the second to only trail 49-48 at the half. 
     In the third quarter, the teams went back and forth with numerous lead changes and ties and Augusta forged ahead going into the fourth quarter, 67-66. Late in the game thanks to a technical foul on Indians head coach Grammer, the Panthers found themselves up 90-83 but that lead wouldn’t last long as Holy Cross cut the deficit to 90-89 with 1:58 to go. A couple baskets and free throws later Augusta led 95-91 with :46.3 left. The Indians’ Blake Robinson drained a three with :08 to go to make it 95-94 but they were out of time outs so Robinson grabbed the ball and threw it into the lobby prompting a delay of game call which stopped the clock with 2.1 seconds to go. The Panthers would use their last time out and turn the ball over leaving 1.1 on the clock and giving the Indians one more chance. Brandon McClendon got it into Blake Robinson on the block and he dropped it in for the win. Holy Cross improved to 10-5 and Augusta with their second straight loss fell to 8-5. 

Cov. Holy Cross (96) Meyer 41, Hicks 11, McClendon 17, Robinson 8, Ward 6, D. Arlinghaus 2, Z. Arlinghaus 11

Augusta (95) Ka. Hinson 31, Ky. Hinson 6, Mastin 32, Snapp 12, Archibald 12, Kelsch 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

The Indians’ Blake Robinson drained a three with :08 to go to make it 95-94 but they were out of time outs so Robinson grabbed the ball and threw it into the lobby prompting a delay of game call which stopped the clock with 2.1 seconds to go.

This doesn't make sense. Was he thinking that Augusta chasing the ball around by the concession stand would allow the time to run out?

That was the only way they could stop the clock. If the delay of game warning isn’t called, the clock runs out. Augusta doesn’t even have to pick the ball up. 

By the way, I was so impressed with Jacob Meyer. Should be the 9th region’s top player the next two seasons. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quagmire said:

That was the only way they could stop the clock. If the delay of game warning isn’t called, the clock runs out. Augusta doesn’t even have to pick the ball up. 

By the way, I was so impressed with Jacob Meyer. Should be the 9th region’s top player the next two seasons. 

Got it. I guess I was thinking Augusta should have just picked it up first and not thrown it in, eliminating any chance for the Holy Cross kid to throw it away. Quick thinking on the part of the Holy Cross kid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quagmire said:

I agree. He is good!

• theguru changed the title to Covington Holy Cross 96 Augusta 95
13 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Pretty clever thing to do. 

Wasn’t there a rule change last year that kept teams from using that delay of game if time was under 6 seconds in that situation.  Clock is not suppose to stop for delay of game if under 6 seconds? 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Why didn't Augusta throw the ball to the other end of the court on the last in bounds play?

I can’t speak for Augusta or Coach Hinson.  But maybe a full-court pass that goes out of bounds untouched gives the ball back to HC under the Augusta basket with two seconds left instead of one. 

On 2/21/2021 at 1:05 PM, Woodsman said:

Wasn’t there a rule change last year that kept teams from using that delay of game if time was under 6 seconds in that situation.  Clock is not suppose to stop for delay of game if under 6 seconds? 

Don’t think so.