Has Cal ever told a player to stay?

The Flea Market

My understanding is that Montgomery left because his dad and I'm sure other, didn't think he needed any more time in college.  I don't believe Calipari encouraged Montgomery to leave.  Hagan's, I'm not sure what Calipari told him but I believe he told him he needed to develop more on offense.  

46 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

Is he being fair to tell these kids to go pro? Some make it but many have not been ready and it has hurt them. He needs to be real with them. Hagens and Montgomery are the latest that we’re not even close and where are they now? Archie Goodwin, Orten...........

What makes you think he has told some of these kids to go pro? The only ones who he has even said, that he has flat out told to leave. We’re guys that we’re basically guaranteed lottery picks. Other than that he says he allows players to go through the process, and that he would give them his opinion, as well as give them the opinions he is hearing from NBA guys. 

I can almost guarantee he would love to have some of these guys who left early return. However, guys usually have family, AAU, agents, etc tell them they are usually better than they are. So they decided to leave on their own. It is not like Cal is going to come out and say I disagree with their decision. He is going to support his players no matter the decision they make. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

Is he being fair to tell these kids to go pro? Some make it but many have not been ready and it has hurt them. He needs to be real with them. Hagens and Montgomery are the latest that we’re not even close and where are they now? Archie Goodwin, Orten...........

Using Daniel Orton as an example should tell everyone how little you know about the thread topic. 

• Like 2

You can say what you want about Cal, but he knows which kids are ready to play in the NBA. 

You also have to factor in the kids that go pro because "their camp" thinks it's in their best interests. That's not on Cal. If he tells a kid to stay and they don't, there's no way the blame is on him. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

Orten has really done well in basketball since he left? Where is he now? Selling cars at Paul Miller?

Daniel Orton made a few million in the NBA as a first round pick 11 years ago and has bounced around overseas since. Probably earning more than your average Joe will ever make. Who knows if he made the right call or not... most people don't last in the NBA beyond their third season. Maybe he would have improved his stock by coming back another season, but I think he would have ended up in the same place, ultimately.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

You can say what you want about Cal, but he knows which kids are ready to play in the NBA. 

You also have to factor in the kids that go pro because "their camp" thinks it's in their best interests. That's not on Cal. If he tells a kid to stay and they don't, there's no way the blame is on him. 

It is fascinating on many levels. I get it, you secure John Wall and Anthony Davis, they are going to be around for one season. But some of the others like Herro, Bledsoe, etc., nobody saw them being a one year and out talents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

It is fascinating on many levels. I get it, you secure John Wall and Anthony Davis, they are going to be around for one season. But some of the others like Herro, Bledsoe, etc., nobody saw them being a one year and out talents.

Funny you say that about Herro... I got in a YouTube rabbit hole a couple weeks back and watched a bunch of his high school highlights. Of course, he was ridiculously good, but to your point, I didn't see anything that would have led me to believe he was going to be in the NBA (and getting buckets) 18 or so months later. 

• Like 1

I am not a parent, so I can't answer this. But if your kid was 19 years of age and had an offer to make approximately $5MM the next three years of their lives (this is about what you would make as the last pick of the first round), is it responsible to tell them to come back to college on the off chance they "improve their stock?"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Funny you say that about Herro... I got in a YouTube rabbit hole a couple weeks back and watched a bunch of his high school highlights. Of course, he was ridiculously good, but to your point, I didn't see anything that would have led me to believe he was going to be in the NBA (and getting buckets) 18 or so months later. 

And not just play in the NBA getting some buckets, but playing crunch time minutes in the NBA Finals.

• Like 1