The Great Dynasties of Kentucky High School Football

2 hours ago, BlueRaider said:

There was  a thread posted a few years ago in which someone calculated county dominance based on number of schools, population, class level and wins... etc... I'd love to view that thread and see how it connects with this one. 

2 hours ago, theguru said:

You have to search for it.

When we upgraded our software last year everything got a new URL (meaning a new link to each thread) so it should be on BGP.  

On searching everyone, go to the top right of the page and use the search box.  It works really well, especially when you used the advanced search.

Think I found them... is this what you were talking about?

• Thanks 1

That thread was back before the 2017 season (not going to focus on the underperformers), here are some quick updates of what those counties did after that point:

A quick glance would suggest that Boyle County probably stayed at #1 thanks to what BCHS has been able to accomplish. Danville has struggled but did have a State Championship.

I expect Graves County would remain at #2 thanks to Mayfield's prowess. Graves County has had winning seasons but no playoff success.

Campbell County probably slipped a little as Highlands and NewCath's success has fallen off.

Breathitt County may have slipped a little but they did have a couple strong seasons with a Semi-Finals appearance that would have helped as a lone school County.

Pike County most likely moved forward a little potentially. Belfry added two State Titles and Pikeville did the same with a Runner-Up for good measure. The other County school did not help much aside from a few winning seasons.

Johnson had the biggest chance to move forward. With only two schools they added two State Titles and four Runner-Up finishes.

Outside of that, Bell County probably had positive gains, while Monroe and Rockcastle slipped most likely.

One not eon the Underperformers, Carter County has definitely taken major strides since this list! Madison County has as well though their population base makes it tough to gain ground even with some success. Woodford is finally on the right track as well.

12 hours ago, WestDanville said:

Could/should it be argued Boyle’s dynasty has spanned 23 seasons? Since ‘99 they are 273-43, 86% winning percentage, 10 state titles, 2 runner-ups and 2 more seasons where the only loss was in the Semis. 4 head coaches in this time and 3 of them have multiple titles. 

12 hours ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

This seems more like a coaching legacy than a program dynasty. If it is program dynasty then shouldn't it include all that the program has accomplished as a dynasty vs just what one coach has done? I am a homer but Boyle does have 10 titles in that span. Also if it is a coaching Dynasty then Chuck Smith should be in the spans class system because he came back to Boyle and won again in 2017 so his whole time should be noted. Again I am a homer so I am biased but still it is unclear to me if you are talking about a team or their coach?

It's subjective, with people drawing lines in different places. I chose to use leadership to shape my parameters. It made it less messy. No cutting and pasting, such as Smith leaving Boyle County after 2004 and returning ten years later. I liked the clean lines.

However, you could definitely argue a Boyle County dynasty covering '99-'21. They were only down for a short time before French picked them back up. Danville is a good example of why I used specific leadership to draw my lines. Harp's run is legendary, but it cooled off toward the end. The Ads slid into mediocrity for years before Clevenger was able to get them back to the top. I couldn't overlook a gap that big. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, DevilMayCare said:

Noel Rash's Beechwood Tigers (2007-present)

Record: 155-42 (78%)

State Championships: 6 ('07, '08, '16-'18, '20)

Coaching in the long shadow of Mike Yeagle would probably break most coaches. Fortunately for Beechwood, Noel Rash is not most coaches. He's carved out his own legacy and kept the Tigers among the state's elite for the duration of his fifteen years as the head man in Fort Mitchell. During Beechwood's three-peat from 2016-2018, the Tigers outscored 1A opposition a combined 1,067-146, or 48-6 per game. They've only failed to reach the semifinals once in the last fourteen years and made an immediate impact in class 2A, winning a state championship in just their second year in that classification.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, DevilMayCare said:

Noel Rash's Beechwood Tigers (2007-present) - UPDATED

Record: 170-42 (80%)

State Championships: 7 ('07, '08, '16-'18, '20, '21)

The most recent win over a stacked LCA program gives the Tigers five state titles in the last six years across two classes. Beechwood hasn't been this dominant since the roaring Yeagle 90s. Noel Rash might be the only rash you don't want to get rid of. Under his guidance, they've only missed out on the semifinals once. They'll have to finally part ways with Cam Hergott, but the younger classes should keep this dynasty rolling until Rash decides to hang it up.

Noel Rash's Beechwood Tigers (2007-present) - UPDATED

Record: 184-43 (81%)

State Championships: 8 ('07, '08, '16-'18, '20-'22)

No program in the state is as hot as the one in Fort Mitchell, owners of six state titles in the last seven years across two classes. And the most recent was achieved despite the loss of their best player halfway through the season.

The Tigers are now 8-1 in championship games under the current regime, claiming back to back titles and two separate three-peats.

Since moving up to Class 2A in 2019, Beechwood has made itself right at home, winning 31 of 33 games within the classification. Both losses occurred in 2019, to eventual state champion Somerset and Mayfield in the semifinals. But the Tigers have now taken two straight from the Cards, who previously spent a quarter century as Beechwood's boogeyman. 

• Like 3

On 12/7/2021 at 10:20 PM, DevilMayCare said:

It's subjective, with people drawing lines in different places. I chose to use leadership to shape my parameters. It made it less messy. No cutting and pasting, such as Smith leaving Boyle County after 2004 and returning ten years later. I liked the clean lines.

However, you could definitely argue a Boyle County dynasty covering '99-'21. They were only down for a short time before French picked them back up. Danville is a good example of why I used specific leadership to draw my lines. Harp's run is legendary, but it cooled off toward the end. The Ads slid into mediocrity for years before Clevenger was able to get them back to the top. I couldn't overlook a gap that big. 

IMO Sam Harp's teams were never the same after blowing that big lead against Newport Central Catholic in the 2006 title game.  The wind went out of the sails of the program after that as the Ads only made 1 more state semi-final appearance for the rest of Harp's tenure.  That game, along with the 1993 loss to Prestonsburg, are probably the worst I ever endured as a fan.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

HAIL!! 2.0 - Chris McNamee's Pikeville Panthers (2015-present)

Record: 97-22 (81%)

State Championships: 5 ('15, '19, '21-'23)

Sitting high atop the mountains, Pikeville looks down on the rest of the 1A landscape. The Panthers are 37-2 against their own class over the last five years, with a shocking loss to Hazard preventing the possibility of five consecutive titles. They've made six championship games in nine years, winning five. The train left the station eight years ago… it's not slowing down anytime soon. They'll be favored again next year.

• Like 1

Keeping it in the family

The Morris' Mayfield Cardinals

Jack (1976-1992)

Record: 194-33 (85%) 

State Championships: 4 ('77, '78, '85, '86)

Mayfield football didn't begin with the Morris family, but Jack set the Cardinals down the path that helped make Mayfield into the household name we know today. He guided the Cardinals to nine state finals appearances, including six in eight seasons from 1985-1992.  Mayfield was recognized in 1978 as the top team in the state, regardless of class, by the Litkenhous poll. It's hard to imagine a small school achieving that status today.

Joe (2002-2019)

Record: 222-40 (85%) 

State Championships: 6 ('02, '10, '12-'14, '16)

In coaching, they say it's better to follow the man who followed the legend. But when the legend in question is also your father, does it really matter how far removed you are? Joe Morris had to know he'd be compared to Jack before he ever coached his first game. It wasn't always smooth sailing, but when the younger Morris hit his stride, the Cardinals spread their wings and flew higher than anyone in the state at the time, going 138-11 and reaching the state finals nine times from 2010-2019.

*It should be noted that Paul Leahy won two state titles at Mayfield, sandwiched between the Morris' long tenures.

Joe Morris' Mayfield Cardinals (2002-present) - UPDATED

Record: 269-46 (85%) 

State Championships: 7 ('02, '10, '12-'15, '23)

All is right on the Jackson Purchase. The Cards are back on top. Seven years between titles is like an eternity in Mayfield, but it's not like they weren't close. Between ships in 2015 and 2023, Morris added runner-up finishes in '17, '18, '19, and '22, giving him twelve finals appearances in the last fifteen years and fourteen overall. He's guided the Cardinals to the semifinals or better in 21 of the last 24 years. 

This year's playoff run - #1 LCA, #2 Beechwood, #3 O-Cath - will be remembered for generations to come as one of Mayfield's greatest.

• Like 6

Justin Haddix's Boyle County Rebels (2020-present)

Record: 52-3 (94%)

State Championships: 4 ('20-'23)

Even with Danville's slide, the 'Title Town' moniker still feels appropriate. That's how much juice is flowing at Boyle County right now. How many coaches could replace Chuck Smith - the same man that uses pepper spray to season his steak - and actually elevate the program? Haddix is a perfect 4/4 on state titles since his arrival. As this season wore on, it became clear that the Rebels were the best team in the state, regardless of class. You think they can't get any better, and then they do.

• Like 5

Love this thread. Unreal the numbers these coaches and programs have put up. Some of the stadiums I’ve walked into I have noticed not putting up the years they were runner up. I don’t understand that. Kid that want to play for your team would see that and be like “man they went to X amount of championship games in a row”, instead of just thinking they won it all this year and that year but in between they didn’t do anything.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 5:50 PM, Jason Bucklen said:

I remember after we beat Murray for the 94 Class A title we watched Danville for a little while when I think they played Bullitt East. They had some big boys on their team who could run! 

Officiated that one. Also was standing with Assistant Commissioner Larry Boucher when all heck broke out at the end of the game. He said "I think we have a big problem". My reply.."No Larry, you have a big problem".....and I headed to the locker room to prepare for the next game.  I have some interesting stories about that situation. The Danville- Bullitt East game was an easy win for Danville. Really good team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Officiated that one. Also was standing with Assistant Commissioner Larry Boucher when all heck broke out at the end of the game. He said "I think we have a big problem". My reply.."No Larry, you have a big problem".....and I headed to the locker room to prepare for the next game.  I have some interesting stories about that situation. The Danville- Bullitt East game was an easy win for Danville. Really good team.

I remember that play like it was yesterday. I was standing right next to Yeagle when he gave the play call. 

Chuck Smith's Boyle County Rebels (1999-2004)

Record: 86-4 (95%)

State Championships: 5 ('99-'03)

Long before 'Title Town' was a thing, Boyle County football was wallowing in irrelevance, winning just eleven total games from '87-'91. Chuck Smith rides into town, and the rest is history. During a run of five straight titles, the Rebels won their championship games by an average score of 36-7. Boyle County threatened Trinity's state record with 47 consecutive wins from 1999-2002 before stringing together 25 more in a row in 2002 and 2003. Little known fact about Chuck Smith: He once beat the sun in a staring contest. 😎🌞

On 12/1/2023 at 11:06 PM, DevilMayCare said:

Justin Haddix's Boyle County Rebels (2020-present)

Record: 52-3 (94%)

State Championships: 4 ('20-'23)

Even with Danville's slide, the 'Title Town' moniker still feels appropriate. That's how much juice is flowing at Boyle County right now. How many coaches could replace Chuck Smith - the same man that uses pepper spray to season his steak - and actually elevate the program? Haddix is a perfect 4/4 on state titles since his arrival. As this season wore on, it became clear that the Rebels were the best team in the state, regardless of class. You think they can't get any better, and then they do.

Boyle has cornered the market on 4A titles, but they'll have to win it again next year to equal the late 90s/early 00s years under Smith.

With Quisenberry and Brown back next season, there's a good chance this gets another update a year from now. 

My question is, how do these eras compare?

Chuck built the program from the ground up and had NFL guys during the championship years, which spanned two different classes. They moved up and didn't miss a beat.

Haddix hit the ground running and has made Boyle County a talent magnet. The scheduling has become more ambitious, as well. 

At the moment, I feel inclined to favor the Chuck years. Taking the Rebels from where they were in the early 90s and building from scratch earns that era an edge from me. 

• Like 1

Boyle went through 3 coaches and won 11 total games my four years in high school. Chuck got hired in the spring of my senior year. I vividly remember him walking the halls trying to recruit underclassmen to come out for the football team. At that time Boyle had about 600 kids and this is not hyperbole, the band had 180 members... all the cool kids played in the band.

The 1st game of his 1st season the Rebels shocked the central KY football world and beat mighty Harrodsburg with Julius Yeast (Ohio St), Craig Yeast (UK/Bengals), & Dennis (UK/Cardinals) & Derrick Johnson(UK.) They went on to have a winning season, make the playoffs and the foundation was laid.

They played in the same class and district as crosstown rival Danville, and it took about ½ a decade to clear that Admiral hurdle (19 straight losses to the hated Ads.)

By 1999 all the pieces were in place, the nightmare years and stigma of losing football was gone. The band no longer had 180 members and it was not only cool to play football, but kids came through elementary school and middle school dreaming of playing football for the Rebels. They went 15-0 in '99 and brought home the 1st ever state title and the machine that is Boyle football was in place ... you know the rest of the story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1