The Great Dynasties of Kentucky High School Football

11 hours ago, BluegrassFootballFan said:

Boyle went through 3 coaches and won 11 total games my four years in high school. Chuck got hired in the spring of my senior year. I vividly remember him walking the halls trying to recruit underclassmen to come out for the football team. At that time Boyle had about 600 kids and this is not hyperbole, the band had 180 members... all the cool kids played in the band.

The 1st game of his 1st season the Rebels shocked the central KY football world and beat mighty Harrodsburg with Julius Yeast (Ohio St), Craig Yeast (UK/Bengals), & Dennis (UK/Cardinals) & Derrick Johnson(UK.) They went on to have a winning season, make the playoffs and the foundation was laid.

They played in the same class and district as crosstown rival Danville, and it took about ½ a decade to clear that Admiral hurdle (19 straight losses to the hated Ads.)

By 1999 all the pieces were in place, the nightmare years and stigma of losing football was gone. The band no longer had 180 members and it was not only cool to play football, but kids came through elementary school and middle school dreaming of playing football for the Rebels. They went 15-0 in '99 and brought home the 1st ever state title and the machine that is Boyle football was in place ... you know the rest of the story.

From 1985 to 1992 were the darkest days of Boyle football.  One winning season, '86, and the teams weren't competitive.  Talent pool dried up and like you said, many athletes opted out of playing.  But what Chuck did was special and pretty immediate.  Only one losing season (his second) in his tenure and by '96 had defeated Danville and made it to the AA Semifinals only to lose to Breathitt County during their run by a TD. 

• Like 2