Dividing B-ball into Classes

I would have to agree with the $$$$$ ruling this thing. I do however like the idea of the "sweet 16" and hope that it doesn't change or go into individual classes. Ky. has the all A classic but I don't think that this tourney is sanctioned by the KHSAA as a State Championship. I may be wrong but I think that the State Tourney is the only one that reconizes a KHSAA State Champion.

I believe that you are correct.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to say that the KHSAA does sanction the All "A" State Championship for basketball.

Not true.

The KHSAA has nothing to do with the All "A" and looks upon it simply as another independent tournament.

The "A" was started in 1980 to make a statement against the single class system, after a lawsuit filed to classify basketball in Kentucky failed. Therefore, if anything, the "A" tournament does not receive favor from the KHSAA.

The other benefit of the "A" as it was designed was to showcase the talents of players from small schools who were considered not to have a chance to make it to the "Sweet Sixteen"

Unfortunately, because of the way it is structured (by enrollment), it has become more of a mid-major tournament, than one truly featuring the schools for which it was intended.

If the "A" were fulfilling its intended destiny, an NKAC Division III team would represent the 9th Region each year.

No, I like things the way they are. The Sweet 16 IS Kentucky Highschool Basketball. Why conform to what 48 other states do with thier highschool sports? The Sweet 6 is unique and it's the everybody against everybody scenario that makes it so magical.

If anything, football should get rid of their classes.

I disagree. For the VAST majority of HS basketball players, they will NEVER play in the Sweet 16. So if the Sweet 16 IS KY HS basketball, there career is incomplete and I don't believe that.

While the Sweet 16 is the reward of the season, the memories, friendships, life lessons, etc IS KY HS BASKETBALL. And a person's career can be as complete and rewarding without a trip to the Sweet 16 as it can with.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to say that the KHSAA does sanction the All "A" State Championship for basketball.

In the eyes of the KHSAA, the Class A tournament is no different than your HS hosting a tournament at your gym.

In fact, for education sake, the KHSAA looks at the Class A tournament process as TWO tournaments. The regional tournament is one and counts as one of the tournaments (if you choose) you are given as playing and counting as a reduced number of games when scheduling.

The state tournament is a 2ND tournament. That is why you see so many games cancelled in February. A team did not plan on making it to the state and made it, so now they have to count those games individually (already played in their two tournament limit in reduction of # of games) and they have to cancel games to get within the limit of games allowed.

If you go to a class system it will destroy many rivalries around the state. It wouldn't mean as much when cross town rivals such as PCC & Hazard play. Also, Hazard won the All A state in 2004 but ,although exciting, it didn't mean as much to the community as going to the sweet sixteen in 2006.

If 48 other states are doing it by a class system, they can't all be wrong.

KY has needed to divide the basketball titles for a long time.

And if money is the issue, it shouldn't be. More teams equals more money. If there was an 8-team tourney for all 4 classes, that equals to a total of 32 teams. I can count dollar bills, and I'm sure there would be more dollar bills with more teams.

Most of the gripe about not going to a class system comes from traditionalists who just don't want to change the way things are/were. But there are some traditions that need to be put in the past. This is one of them.

Those empty seats belong to coaches who take a few days off from school on the schools athletic department (free tickets, free food, free room) and then do not even go to half the games. All of the lowers should be offered to the participating teams.:jump:

Do you not think the Coaches that bust their tail all year not deserve those tickets?

If we have another pitiful turnout for the state tourney again this year, it probably will be looked at! I also hope it never happens, but if it does, I think we can still have a true state champ by letting the winners of all 4 champs play. 1A vs 3A, 2A vs 4A, then winners play for title of STATE CHAMP! Would be okay that way I think.

If they were going to do it, this is how I'd want it to be done, but I don't think being the 3A State Champ but not winning the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP really makes you think of your team as a state champion in this format. IMO, it's no different than winning a semi-state or a regional title. You won a title, yes, and it is something to be proud of, but would you really call yourself the state champion if you got beat?

On the flip side, an argument FOR classes:

Last 15 Champions (and their corresponding football class)

2006: Jeffersontown (3A)

2005: South Laurel (4A)

2004: Warren Central (4A)

2003: Mason County (3A)

2002: Lexington Catholic (3A)

2001: Lafayette (4A)

2000: Elizabethtown (2A)

1999: Ballard (4A)

1998: Scott County (4A)

1997: Eastern (4A)

1996: Paintsville (1A)

1995: Breckinridge County (3A)

1994: Fairdale (4A)

1993: Marion County (4A)

1992: UHA (1A)

1A - 2 Champions

2A - 1 Champion

3A - 4 Champions

4A - 8 Champions

On the flip side, an argument FOR classes:

Last 15 Champions (and their corresponding football class)

2006: Jeffersontown (3A)

2005: South Laurel (4A)

2004: Warren Central (4A)

2003: Mason County (3A)

2002: Lexington Catholic (3A)

2001: Lafayette (4A)

2000: Elizabethtown (2A)

1999: Ballard (4A)

1998: Scott County (4A)

1997: Eastern (4A)

1996: Paintsville (1A)

1995: Breckinridge County (3A)

1994: Fairdale (4A)

1993: Marion County (4A)

1992: UHA (1A)

1A - 2 Champions

2A - 1 Champion

3A - 4 Champions

4A - 8 Champions

An additional observation.

The 1A champs are an independent and private.

The 2A champ is an independent.

Rural vs. Urban

Rural champs Breckinridge County (great team), Marion County(great cycle of players), Mason County (great cycle of players)

Urban Fairdale, Eastern, Ballard, Elizabethtown, Paintsville, Lafayette, Lex Cath, Warren Central, Jeffersontown, Scott County

Somewhere in between: UHA, South Laurel

:fight:

Do you not think the Coaches that bust their tail all year not deserve those tickets?

Actually no I do not think they deserve "those" tickets. I think "those" tickets should be offered to the schools that are participating. Why should students and parents have to sit in the uppers so that coaches whose team is not even playing get the lowers to sit and socialize and network themselves into a new job for the following year--especially doing so on the schools athletic budget that is raised by students and parents. If they want to go...let them take a few personal days, buy their own tickets, room and food and enjoy the game from the best view they can afford.:fight:

:fight:

Actually no I do not think they deserve "those" tickets. I think "those" tickets should be offered to the schools that are participating. Why should students and parents have to sit in the uppers so that coaches whose team is not even playing get the lowers to sit and socialize and network themselves into a new job for the following year--especially doing so on the schools athletic budget that is raised by students and parents. If they want to go...let them take a few personal days, buy their own tickets, room and food and enjoy the game from the best view they can afford.:fight:

Just to be clear, those tickets are BOUGHT by the school districts and in a lot of cases is considered as one of the perks for all the time they are underpaid for.

As far as the networking, my teams have ended up being in tournaments throughout the state because of the contacts I made there. My teams have attending different basketball camps because of the contacts I made there. My players have received postseason honors because of the contacts I made there. I have picked up plays and defensive strategies because of the contacts I have made there. My players have been considered by colleges because of the contacts I made there.

Coaches are under paid. Coaches are over worked. However,coaches choose their professions (not shackled and led to the gym). So, unless it is part of there employment package they should buy tickets like everyone else. What's next? If you are in the business community and donate money to the program that goes should you also receive tickets?