Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dividing B-ball into Classes

Featured Replies

I have mixed feelings about this subject. The Sweet 16 is a great tradition, but the smaller schools are very hard pressed to win a state championship without having a huge "phenom". Usually if there is a kid that is a basketball "phenom", they end up transferring to a school that they believe will get them more publicity. IMO, if a player is that good, he or she, will get noticed no matter where they are.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with the Sweet 16 at Rupp is all the lower arena seats are gone. The only tickets you can get are the seats behind the back boards. You have to sit with the schools band and students. Upper arena seats you can get. Last year I went two days and half the seats in the lower arena didn't have no one in them and the ushers would let you sit in them either. What's up with that? I was told that last year that Scott Co. had bought a bunch of tickets and then Scott got knocked out before making it. I believe they should have returned their tickets for their money back if they weren't going to come...........Bummer to have sit upper arena if you don't have to!!!

  • Author

I just dont think its fair to put a Catholic school Vs a Catholic School and lets say St. Pat vs Trinity but I really dont want that divided into the A's either

... If anything, football should get rid of their classes.

 

I hope you are joking, because that is one outrageous statement.

 

 

Frances

I made my first trip to Bowling Green last March for the girls's tournament and must say that Houchens provides a first class tournament. In my opinion, it is much superior to the Class A in Richmond.
Ohmygod!!!! Sacrilege! The "A" outdone by the KHSAA???

 

Check your mail box daily for a personal letter from Stan.

 

I can hear the rumbling of discontent eminating from the Grove already!!!

If anything, football should get rid of their classes.
Sure! We could drastically shorten the football season and get on to hoops.

 

After playing an 11 week schedule everyone mothballs their equipment until next year.

 

Meanwhile, Male, Trinity, and St. X can get together for a little round robin and then inform the rest of us as to who is the "State Champ."

 

Works for me!

The only problem with the Sweet 16 at Rupp is all the lower arena seats are gone. The only tickets you can get are the seats behind the back boards. You have to sit with the schools band and students. Upper arena seats you can get. Last year I went two days and half the seats in the lower arena didn't have no one in them and the ushers would let you sit in them either. What's up with that? I was told that last year that Scott Co. had bought a bunch of tickets and then Scott got knocked out before making it. I believe they should have returned their tickets for their money back if they weren't going to come...........Bummer to have sit upper arena if you don't have to!!!

 

Those empty seats belong to coaches who take a few days off from school on the schools athletic department (free tickets, free food, free room) and then do not even go to half the games. All of the lowers should be offered to the participating teams.:jump:

Ohmygod!!!! Sacrilege! The "A" outdone by the KHSAA???

 

Check your mail box daily for a personal letter from Stan.

 

I can hear the rumbling of discontent eminating from the Grove already!!!

 

Honestly the All-A is a fun tourney but really there isn't that much done with it from a fan perspective. Basically go watch the games and that's about it. Pregame, halftime etc. aren't really much. No video screen etc.

Those empty seats belong to coaches who take a few days off from school on the schools athletic department (free tickets, free food, free room) and then do not even go to half the games. All of the lowers should be offered to the participating teams.:jump:

ONLY Free Tickets (2), you have the option of buying the other two to complete a four seat, center court set.

 

Any additionals beyond the original four are off in the corners - Ask CovCath.

 

NO FREE ROOMS OR MEALS - If so, they are paid by the school and not the KHSAA.

Classifications make everything meaningless in basketball. Why?

 

Let's say you are one of the smaller schools. Your team never has really done that great. Suddenly you get a couple of guys through that can compete and your winning. You win the district and region and make it to the Sweet 16. The STATE takes notice of your school.

 

Now let's say you classify. Same situation, small school, not doing good, suddenly a group comes through and changes everything. Games probably won't be at Rupp, maybe EKU, NKU (when arena is finished), or WKU. 4 classes makes a Sweet 16 for each class, equating in 64 teams competing for four state championships. Noone will notice except for your town. Boring.

 

I'd much rather have Male, LexCath, Ballard, & Scott Co. win a state championship than see 4 different schools win a state championship in the same sport.

ONLY Free Tickets (2), you have the option of buying the other two to complete a four seat, center court set.

 

Any additionals beyond the original four are off in the corners - Ask CovCath.

 

NO FREE ROOMS OR MEALS - If so, they are paid by the school and not the KHSAA.

 

Sorry, never meant to imply the KHSAA paid for any rooms other than their own. I meant the school and/or their athletic department usually foots the bill.

Classifications make everything meaningless in basketball. Why?

 

Let's say you are one of the smaller schools. Your team never has really done that great. Suddenly you get a couple of guys through that can compete and your winning. You win the district and region and make it to the Sweet 16. The STATE takes notice of your school.

 

Now let's say you classify. Same situation, small school, not doing good, suddenly a group comes through and changes everything. Games probably won't be at Rupp, maybe EKU, NKU (when arena is finished), or WKU. 4 classes makes a Sweet 16 for each class, equating in 64 teams competing for four state championships. Noone will notice except for your town. Boring.

 

I'd much rather have Male, LexCath, Ballard, & Scott Co. win a state championship than see 4 different schools win a state championship in the same sport.

 

Guess your not much of a football fan huh? What is the difference?:flame:

Much easier said than actually done.

 

I don't think it will ever happen with legislature intervention because of $$$. Too much $$$ at the Sweet 16. And sports (admittedingly the HS level being the least) is about mostly, $$$$.

 

The people that sponsors these tournaments and pony up the $$$ want the tournament as is and I believe that will carry weight. I know the girls' tournament stays in WKY because Houchens sponsors ($$$$) like no one in other parts of the state have stepped up and done.

I would have to agree with the $$$$$ ruling this thing. I do however like the idea of the "sweet 16" and hope that it doesn't change or go into individual classes. Ky. has the all A classic but I don't think that this tourney is sanctioned by the KHSAA as a State Championship. I may be wrong but I think that the State Tourney is the only one that reconizes a KHSAA State Champion.

When your trying to compare a sport where you try to field 11 guys on the field as compared to 5 guys on the court, it just doesn't add up. It takes far less athletes to make a better basketball team than it does to make a better football team. So if you are asking me if I am happy with the current football system, I would answer, yes. However I do support the 4 class system for football rather than the 6 class system.

I would have to agree with the $$$$$ ruling this thing. I do however like the idea of the "sweet 16" and hope that it doesn't change or go into individual classes. Ky. has the all A classic but I don't think that this tourney is sanctioned by the KHSAA as a State Championship. I may be wrong but I think that the State Tourney is the only one that reconizes a KHSAA State Champion.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to say that the KHSAA does sanction the All "A" State Championship for basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.