Jim Harbaugh

sportsfan41

On 11/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, TheDeuce said:

Harbaugh has been the most successful coach at Michigan in a long, LONG, time.

Everybody typically has this elevated opinion of Michigan... But my question is, why?

Are they a good football team most years? Sure. But when was the last time we really thought Michigan could make a run for even a B1G title, much less a national title?

Michigan and Notre Dame are the two most overrated programs year in and year out in College Football. 

Notre Dame is #1 in my opinion, but Michigan is in the next group for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I was thinking the Wisconsin drubbing may have done it for Harbaugh. Then I came across this stat that surprised the heck out of me. Since Harbaugh arrived at Michigan in 2015, Michigan is #10 in winning percentage among the Power 5 schools with an over .700 winning percentage. Does that shock anyone else as much as it did me?

I never would of dreamed that.

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I was thinking the Wisconsin drubbing may have done it for Harbaugh. Then I came across this stat that surprised the heck out of me. Since Harbaugh arrived at Michigan in 2015, Michigan is #10 in winning percentage among the Power 5 schools with an over .700 winning percentage. Does that shock anyone else as much as it did me?

Harbaugh has one more left on his contract with a $10 million buyout. That makes a buyout unlikely but it is tough to recruit as a lame duck coach. Rarely does a big school coach head into a season in the last year of a contract. Regardless of how this season ends, I see Harbaugh and Michigan re-negotiating the current contract and Harbaugh either gets an extension or moves on.

Exactly, he is a proven winner.  He’s just had a few bad breaks.  Michigan needs to be patient.

• Haha 3

On 11/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, TheDeuce said:

Harbaugh has been the most successful coach at Michigan in a long, LONG, time.

Everybody typically has this elevated opinion of Michigan... But my question is, why?

Are they a good football team most years? Sure. But when was the last time we really thought Michigan could make a run for even a B1G title, much less a national title?

Michigan and Notre Dame are the two most overrated programs year in and year out in College Football. 

You excluded Texas from your list. That’s why I didn’t throw you a like. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheDeuce said:

😂

I realize his ties to OSU and the assumed trajectory if he were to stay at UC until whenever Day is gone. But if Michigan comes calling, he can't tell them no, right?

The homer in me says he could never wear that logo.  From the conversations i've had with him over the last 10 years I couldn't see him doing it.  But if they offer 7.5 million, maybe he thinks about it?

Just now, John Anthony said:

The homer in me says he could never wear that logo.  From the conversations i've had with him over the last 10 years I couldn't see him doing it.  But if they offer 7.5 million, maybe he thinks about it?

If UK pays me $7.5 million to follow Cal, you can come visit my horse farm in Lexington. 😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

If UK pays me $7.5 million to follow Cal, you can come visit my horse farm in Lexington. 😂😂😂

That Michigan loss his senior year in 1996 on senior night, still hurts him.  It's painful to even listen to him talk about it.  I don't see it happening, I do get that money is money, just don't see it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

😂

I realize his ties to OSU and the assumed trajectory if he were to stay at UC until whenever Day is gone. But if Michigan comes calling, he can't tell them no, right?

I do think Fickell would say no. I wouldn’t fault him at all for taking the job. You’re talking about an insane amount of money, but I still am not sure he would take it. 

Would Michigan really want Fickell knowing if he did well he was likely gone as soon as OSU opened up ?

I understand you should always try to hire the best available but paying a guy a ton of money with one foot out the door would be a tough pill to swallow.

1 minute ago, MBWC41 said:

Would Michigan really want Fickell knowing if he did well he was likely gone as soon as OSU opened up ?

I understand you should always try to hire the best available but paying a guy a ton of money with one foot out the door would be a tough pill to swallow.

If he goes to Michigan, which I don't think he will.  That's the equivalent of Pitino taking the Louisville job.

Just now, John Anthony said:

If he goes to Michigan, which I don't think he will.  That's the equivalent of Pitino taking the Louisville job.

Even though he didn’t leave OSU as a head coach and then take the Michigan job ?

I understand the situations are similar but they aren’t exactly the same.

Also, fans have short term memories when their team is struggling. If OSU were to make a bad hire and Fick was killing it at UM, I imagine most sane fans would welcome him back.