Jim Harbaugh

sportsfan41

24 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

Even though he didn’t leave OSU as a head coach and then take the Michigan job ?

I understand the situations are similar but they aren’t exactly the same.

Also, fans have short term memories when their team is struggling. If OSU were to make a bad hire and Fick was killing it at UM, I imagine most sane fans would welcome him back.

He spent almost 20 years of his life not saying the word Michigan, not wearing blue, not even writing in blue ink.  If he took that job and beat OSU which he would at some point.  That’s sports treason.

• Like 1

Besides his affinity for OSU and his intense respect for the rivalry, Fickell will in all likelihood have multiple offers from big schools that can pay him similar money that Michigan can. Several programs in the SEC are going to open up, Penn State may open up, Texas may open up. I’m not sure Fickell would even take an interview at Michigan if other high profile jobs are available. Plus I could very seriously see Fickell holding out at UC and seeing them through the next round of conference realignment and take over for Ryan Day down the road. We’ve talked about it for years obviously, but UC is going to be right at the top of the list still to be poached by a power 5 conference. If that comes to fruition, UC will be able to offer him a huge contract. If you made me put my money on it, my feeling is Fickell is at UC for the next 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

Matt Campbell I think is the guy for Michigan if they give up on Harbaugh.

What do you think about Fleck? Could his ties to OSU keep him from being interested in the job? I would think with his success at Western Michigan he may be of interest as well. My assumption is that Campbell will get some more enticing offers than Michigan.

6 hours ago, Tones said:

What do you think about Fleck? Could his ties to OSU keep him from being interested in the job? I would think with his success at Western Michigan he may be of interest as well. My assumption is that Campbell will get some more enticing offers than Michigan.

Fleck had a legit chance until now.  Minny is really bad this year.  Yes, it's a small sample size but I don't think they would do it.  

Campbell has been passed over by a lot of jobs, OSU was going to interview him until Meyer said "Ryan" is the guy.  Michigan is a pretty big job at the end of the day in my opinion.  Are you thinking Texas or USC?

14 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Fleck had a legit chance until now.  Minny is really bad this year.  Yes, it's a small sample size but I don't think they would do it.  

Campbell has been passed over by a lot of jobs, OSU was going to interview him until Meyer said "Ryan" is the guy.  Michigan is a pretty big job at the end of the day in my opinion.  Are you thinking Texas or USC?

I'm thinking USC. I think Texas goes after Fick and opens the checkbook and if he turns it down then they would go after Campbell. I wonder what SEC openings may be open as well. I agree that Michigan is a big job, I just think that Texas and USC would be better opportunities because you don't have OSU in the way and you can make as much if not more money. I don't know that any of the SEC jobs that would be opening up would be as good of a job as Michigan, but then it would be a bidding war in my opinion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tones said:

Fleck would not jive with the fanbase or admin at Michigan. 

1 hour ago, Tones said:

I'm thinking USC. I think Texas goes after Fick and opens the checkbook and if he turns it down then they would go after Campbell. I wonder what SEC openings may be open as well. I agree that Michigan is a big job, I just think that Texas and USC would be better opportunities because you don't have OSU in the way and you can make as much if not more money. I don't know that any of the SEC jobs that would be opening up would be as good of a job as Michigan, but then it would be a bidding war in my opinion.

Strong thesis here.  I’m hearing some early rumblings that Harbaugh might just walk away to the NFL after the year, an amicable split.

Campbell is the front runner I believe.  They might entertain Fleck as a backup option, might as well entertain Pat Fitzgerald as well.  If they want another Michigan man, they could look at Mike Hart or Nick Sheridan, both are crushing it at Indiana.  

6 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Strong thesis here.  I’m hearing some early rumblings that Harbaugh might just walk away to the NFL after the year, an amicable split.

Campbell is the front runner I believe.  They might entertain Fleck as a backup option, might as well entertain Pat Fitzgerald as well.  If they want another Michigan man, they could look at Mike Hart or Nick Sheridan, both are crushing it at Indiana.  

I think Fitzgerald would be a solid option, I just think he is so tied to Northwestern that it may be hard to pull him away from there. I know Michigan loves the whole "Michigan Man" thing, but I couldn't see them giving Hart or Sheridan their 1st head coaching job. I think Jamey Chadwell would be interesting considering what he has done with what he has, and wondering what he could do with the recruits that Michigan pulls in, but I don't know if they would even give him consideration. It will definitely be interesting. I wonder what the honest expectations are that Michigan fans have for whoever their next coach is. Most likely unrealistic expectations. 

• Like 1

My guess is that Ohio high schools produce more college players than Michigan but Michigan produces many in its own right.    With Sparty being down, it seems that any decent recruiter at Michigan should be able to get all he needs from Michigan high schools and get the program back on track.   Of course, you have to be able to coach too but recruiting is probably more important.  I'm sure the Maize and Blue is still the premier destination for Michigan high schoolers.    Am I wrong on this?

10 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

My guess is that Ohio high schools produce more college players than Michigan but Michigan produces many in its own right.    With Sparty being down, it seems that any decent recruiter at Michigan should be able to get all he needs from Michigan high schools and get the program back on track.   Of course, you have to be able to coach too but recruiting is probably more important.  I'm sure the Maize and Blue is still the premier destination for Michigan high schoolers.    Am I wrong on this?

Not only has Harbaugh done a terrible job recruiting Ohio, he’s been very shaky in Michigan as well.  He was really that New England area hard.  Heck, Kentucky has capitalized on a lot of this.

Michigan and Michigan State both offered Vince Marrow a job in the last 5 years, not a coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...