Football Shutdowns

5 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

Here's what I would do:

* Eliminate this final week of the regular season

* Then Eliminate Week 1 of the playoffs. Sorry to 3rd place finishers but...

Class 3A District 4

You good with telling CAL to kick rocks because they lost to Mercer County and DeSales he gets in because they only played one District game (against the weakest team) and lost 2/3 non-district games?

Also who gets in from 3A District 5?

Estill Co has not even played a District game,

6 hours ago, theguru said:

Does that mean both Scott and Dixie are shutting down their varsities too?

I’m hearing Scott cancelled with Dixie due to positive results on their football team, and Dixie will be traveling to Henry County to play now.

• Thanks 1

I agree with some of the posters above.

It is unrealistic to use the same threshold for labeling all of the counties in the state regardless of population. Last I checked, we were orange. Several counties around us are also orange. There are at least two counties in our region that are red. The two red counties are very different.

One has a population of about 12 during business hours on a Monday. They are “red” because there were reportedly two large family gatherings on the same weekend where one person showed up and possibly infected a few others. Many of those infected have no symptoms. They were only tested because they were at the above-mentioned family gatherings.

The other is a larger county that turned red after an outbreak in a large long term care facility. I believe they also had some talk of transferring prisoners at the county jail because of the number of cases there. 

In neither case has there been a report of a sporting event causing a large outbreak, nor has there been an outbreak on an affected team. These kids should not be penalized because of situations that would have happened regardless of the status of sports. Now if the sports teams that would be playing have a huge outbreak among the players, that’s different.

My hospital system has done more than 90,000 tests in 3 large hospitals, 7 critical access hospitals, 60-something physicians offices, and several drive thru testing centers. Our positivity rate is at about 10%. We have campuses in all three states of our particular tri-state area. We have had just under 1% hospitalizations since the beginning. I am employed in the ED where we are exposed every day to someone with bizarre symptoms who later tests positive. Only 4 of our 100 coworkers have tested positive in 8 months of this. Even with all of these ridiculously low numbers, we remain a “high risk” county in Indiana. 

Two of the kids I coach (not football) called me this week to tell me they were in quarantine. One was on a school bus with a kid who tested positive. She has no symptoms and has not had a test. The other was exposed by a family member, had flu-like symptoms and tested positive herself. They were both tearful and told me they were sorry and “I tried so hard to be careful.” My problem with this situation is not that they have been quarantined from the team for two weeks. We will survive and move on.

My problem is the amount of guilt these kids are feeling over something that is out of their control. This Covid nonsense reminds me of the mid-80’s, when nurses I worked with would double-glove to walk into the room of an HIV patient and do nothing more than flip the light switch. These kids acted like they were calling me to tell me about an unplanned pregnancy. When discussing this with some of my coworkers who had been quarantined they said they AS ADULTS felt the same way. This is droplet-based viral respiratory disease. It is not gonorrhea. You acquire it by being in the same general vicinity of someone else who has it, not from a “toilet seat.”

At some point we have to stop punishing people for something that is completely out of their control. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, ATLCat said:

Class 3A District 4

You good with telling CAL to kick rocks because they lost to Mercer County and DeSales he gets in because they only played one District game (against the weakest team) and lost 2/3 non-district games?

Also who gets in from 3A District 5?

Estill Co has not even played a District game,

Well DeSales tried to reschedule with Mercer and CAL and both did not want to play. So I guess CAL should of played and earned that spot.

I want to make a general comment about the head football coaches and athletic directors of our schools.  They must be under a tremendous amount of stress trying to keep our kids safe, preparing them for games (which may or may not take place) and managing this unbelievable problem of finding replacement games with other schools when the original games are cancelled.  They deserve our admiration.  They probably don't have much of a personal life right now.

• Like 8

According to KHSAA website, 40+ games being cancelled this week due to Covid.  More counties going red every day.  This just doesn't seem sustainable for another 6 weeks.  Does KHSAA step in at any point and provide further guidance? I don't see how this system can work during playoff time.

In reality, tonight’s games may be the final of the season. People need to be prepared for that, and with the maps turning Red all over. We have all known since March there would be a 2nd wave during traditional flu season, and that’s now upon us. We should be wrapping up playoffs from a shortened season right now, instead, we are desperately trying to finish a delayed start regular season because adults couldn’t formulate a plan earlier. Very sad situation, and not placing blame. But needs to be a lesson learned for the future. You cannot hide and hope these things go away, they do not  

Good luck tonight everyone, stay safe, and as BroseofStalin says above, start praying...... 😎

• Like 1

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

In reality, tonight’s games may be the final of the season. People need to be prepared for that, and with the maps turning Red all over.

I expect something of a State of the Union from the KHSAA next week. I feel like it is a must that the playoff plan is put in place, schools are notified, procedures for red counties, quarantines, forfeits, etc. are communicated to all playoff bound schools at the early part of next week. I know they want to have a postseason and will do everything they can to play it, but everyone has to be on the same page from Round 1 to the finals.

5 minutes ago, Fake Tom Brady said:

Jefferson saying no go for next week.  Fayette likely to do the same.  Will be very tough to have playoffs without your two biggest school districts if they continue to stay in the red over the next couple weeks.

You just cut them out and move on.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1