Crittenden County 78 Caverna 0

Do points scored play into RPI at all? 

I am not trying to justify running up the scoreboard, but there’s a news report that can be found on YouTube of a team in Texas that does this routinely. The coach’s justification is that his first few years his team went undefeated in the regular season, then would give up close games in the finals in the last quarter. He said he felt it was because his players weren’t accustomed to finishing a game, so he stopped pulling his starters early.

So I am asking if RPI could be used as a justification for this.

To my knowledge, game scores have no impact on RPI. All that matters in KHSAA RPI is wins and losses plus an added factor for game value, which is based on what class a team plays in. Here is a link with the details of the KHSAA's formula with an example of how they calculate the RPI:

https://khsaa.org/resources/RPI/rpiexample2018fbapb.pdf

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wrn1979 said:

Do points scored play into RPI at all? 

I am not trying to justify running up the scoreboard, but there’s a news report that can be found on YouTube of a team in Texas that does this routinely. The coach’s justification is that his first few years his team went undefeated in the regular season, then would give up close games in the finals in the last quarter. He said he felt it was because his players weren’t accustomed to finishing a game, so he stopped pulling his starters early.

So I am asking if RPI could be used as a justification for this.

I’m not buying that excuse.

Sometimes in total mismatch games a coach has to drastically change how his team is competing. Telling your team to stop competing is very difficult. It flies in the face of all a coach teaches his team every day.

I don't know what happened in this game. It is possible Crittenden's coach emptied his bench early, went deep in the bench and his team kept scoring. Perhaps Caverna kept turning the ball over giving Crittenden short fields. Should Crittenden's coach tell his team to take a knee on every play? Would Caverna's coach want Crittenden County to take a knee on every play?

That brings us to the question, perhaps better discussed in another thread. Beyond emptying the bench, what should the winning coach do to keep scores down in games like this?

• Like 1