Big Ten and ACC to Play Only Conference Games in 2020

TheDeuce

59 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

This has nothing to do with travel. It has to do with saving money. Why play Bowling Green to come play with no fans in attendance to offset costs. Thats what the Big Ten and Pac 12 are doing. 

Now that makes sense. 

5 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

This has nothing to do with travel. It has to do with saving money. Why play Bowling Green to come play with no fans in attendance to offset costs. Thats what the Big Ten and Pac 12 are doing. 

The B10 and OSU's main responsibility is to protect itself.  They didn't want these games cancelled, nobody asked for this.  OSU makes a ton a money off playing Bowling Green, while at the same time financing many athletic programs for BG in 2020/2021.  Football is the only way OSU can offer 37 different sports in its athletic department, the most in the nation.  If the season is cancelled, OSU programs will be cut.  The B10 and OSU believe they took drastic measures to protect itself.  Still, will it be enough to overcome the virus?

They want universal testing that can be governed and regulated within the conference.  They don't want a team from another conference, who isn't playing by the same testing rules, or worse, would hide results from key players to make sure they can play. 

Additionally, an 8-10 game season offers flexibility (flex-scheduling) within the schedule.   There are 9 Saturdays in October and November.  If OSU, or Penn State, has an outbreak they can shut down for a few weeks, then resume playing.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

ACC playing 10 conference games and one non-conference. 

Louisville has FSU, Miami, Syracuse VT and Wake at home. BC, GT, ND, Pitt and UVA on the road. 

It looks like this was done to allow Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Florida State the opportunity to play their annual rival games. Did I read correctly that any ACC school who plays a non-conference game must play a school within their home state?

23 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

It looks like this was done to allow Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Florida State the opportunity to play their annual rival games. Did I read correctly that any ACC school who plays a non-conference game must play a school within their home state?

Thats what I read as well. Certainly some possible good news for teams like East Carolina, Liberty, Appalachian State, Charlotte, Massachusetts, etc. 

27 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Thats what I read as well. Certainly some possible good news for teams like East Carolina, Liberty, Appalachian State, Charlotte, Massachusetts, etc. 

Yep. On the flip side, feels like really bad news for other independents not in an ACC state (BYU, New Mexico State, Connecticut) who were probably hoping to fill in any blank spaces on Notre Dame's schedule.

10 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Yes and I think it's preferred that it's a home game. 

The SEC hasn't officially said what they are doing yet, but most assume they will do the same to allow for the ACC/SEC rivalry games. 

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Yes and I think it's preferred that it's a home game. 

The SEC hasn't officially said what they are doing yet, but most assume they will do the same to allow for the ACC/SEC rivalry games. 

I had heard a couple weeks ago that the SEC might play a game with Big 12 schools since the Big 12 plays nine league games and would want a tenth non conference game. I’d imagine schools like Missouri, Arkansas, LSU, and Texas A&M could make a game work with the Big 12 pretty easily (albeit not in state).