Big Ten and ACC to Play Only Conference Games in 2020

TheDeuce

4 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I think several schools will do like Stanford and use the Pandemic as an excuse to trim the athletic budgets by eliminating fringe sports. 

No college is shutting down for the lack of athletic revenue as most colleges make little to no money from athletics above what is spent on athletics. They may shut down sports or cancel seasons for this year, but no school is surviving campus wide because of their earnings from sports. Schools are just happy if sports can pay for them selves.

I think you’re right. A big loser in this is the US Olympic team, which for years has relied on colleges to train athletes in smaller sports. Now it will fall on the USOC to pump in more money. Will those athletes be as successful going forward as they’ve been in the past?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I think several schools will do like Stanford and use the Pandemic as an excuse to trim the athletic budgets by eliminating fringe sports. 

No college is shutting down for the lack of athletic revenue as most colleges make little to no money from athletics above what is spent on athletics. They may shut down sports or cancel seasons for this year, but no school is surviving campus wide because of their earnings from sports. Schools are just happy if sports can pay for them selves.

College athletic departments know they have to spend every penny every year, and many cook the books to get there on the P5 level. Why? If there was a surplus, the players would have a legit legal argument to get paid. Can't leave any cash in the couch cushions that might go to the people actually responsible for making the money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MBWC41 said:

If there is money to be made, bowl games will be played.

If fans are limited, there may not be much money to make.  Not mention, if COVID is still around in December, and teams are limiting travel, I don’t see them allowing travel for a meaningless bowl game.

16 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

If fans are limited, there may not be much money to make.  Not mention, if COVID is still around in December, and teams are limiting travel, I don’t see them allowing travel for a meaningless bowl game.

The television contracts always trump the gate.

If were in this shape 6 months from now, millions will watch a meaningless bowl game to get their sports fix.

33 minutes ago, gametime said:

College athletic departments know they have to spend every penny every year, and many cook the books to get there on the P5 level. Why? If there was a surplus, the players would have a legit legal argument to get paid. Can't leave any cash in the couch cushions that might go to the people actually responsible for making the money. 

Yup...

36 minutes ago, gametime said:

The university of Kentucky pays Mathew Mitchell and Nick Mingione over 1 million dollars a year to coach programs who lose money.

Let that sink in. Over 1 millions year to lead programs that don’t turn a profit... And likely never will.

Look at those numbers and tell me that a scholarship is enough payment for men’s football and basketball players.

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Let's say all of the Big 5 schools have at least two losses this season and ND was undefeated against the MAC. There would be several that would be claiming that they were the best...that's what is sad. 😂

It would be glorious! 😂

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Seems to me that if you're not comfortable playing non-conference games, then you shouldn't play any games. 

I think the thing about just playing conference games is that you know everyone in your conference has the same Covid plan in place. 

That said, I feel more discouraged today than at any point about college football not happening this year.

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I think the thing about just playing conference games is that you know everyone in your conference has the same Covid plan in place. 

That said, I feel more discouraged today than at any point about college football not happening this year.

Don’t feel this way ! Be positive!

College football is to big to fail ! All sports will be funded and played on the backs of athletes who have been awarded scholarships!