Major League Baseball's 2020 Season to begin July 1-4

They would get 75% of what they would get paid per game but only for the 76 games that are played. So if my math is right they would get 35% of their salary for playing 46% of the games.

Might as well forget about baseball this year.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If baseball isn't played this year, especially with all other sports ramping up and playing, then it's going to be the end of baseball as we know it. If they can rebound from this, it's going to take years. Both sides are going to have to make concessions, and right now, the perception is that the players aren't willing to do so. Their argument is that they've conceded to a pro-rated salary. That should be the starting point of the negotiations as there's no way they should be paid for 162 games when they're only playing half or less.

If baseball isn't played this year, especially with all other sports ramping up and playing, then it's going to be the end of baseball as we know it. If they can rebound from this, it's going to take years. Both sides are going to have to make concessions, and right now, the perception is that the players aren't willing to do so. Their argument is that they've conceded to a pro-rated salary. That should be the starting point of the negotiations as there's no way they should be paid for 162 games when they're only playing half or less.

My understanding is they don't want to be paid for 162 games.

My understanding is they don't want to be paid for 162 games.

Right. The players are arguing that they've already negotiated down to a pro-rated pay. However, that shouldn't have been negotiated. That should have been a given, and the negotiation should've started with their pro-rated pay scale.

Right. The players are arguing that they've already negotiated down to a pro-rated pay. However, that shouldn't have been negotiated. That should have been a given, and the negotiation should've started with their pro-rated pay scale.

The amount they make per game played should have never changed. They would make less money because they played less games. Should have been that simple.

It's a perception thing. Some people are going to look at it as they're already taking a pay cut for not playing the entire year. Some people are going to look at it and say they're still getting the same amount per game, so are they really making any concessions? Either way you look at it, they've got to figure something out quickly, or it's going to have long term effects.

Either way you look at it, they've got to figure something out quickly, or it's going to have long term effects.

I'm going to call it right now...there WILL be a work stoppage next year because of the upcoming CBA. The players union is not going to give up the mantle of the strongest union in sports without a serious, serious fight.

MLBPA may just be stubborn enough to effectively kill MLB.

Once NBA and NHL playoffs start, the immediate need for baseball is gone. When football gets going there is no need nationally for baseball at all the rest of the year.

If the NBA pushes back their season next year, the playoffs could reach until NFL training camps open. That would completely shut baseball out of having the sports scene to their own in the summer.

If MLBPA strikes next season, it'll take more than juiced balls to get average fans back.

MLBPA may just be stubborn enough to effectively kill MLB.

Once NBA and NHL playoffs start, the immediate need for baseball is gone. When football gets going there is no need nationally for baseball at all the rest of the year.

If the NBA pushes back their season next year, the playoffs could reach until NFL training camps open. That would completely shut baseball out of having the sports scene to their own in the summer.

If MLBPA strikes next season, it'll take more than juiced balls to get average fans back.

I am not blaming the PA for this one, but there is something to be said about a sport that so much of the power resides with the PA, like baseball does. Basketball is more of a joint-effort, sliding towards players it seems more each day. NFLPA is practically useless.

I'm going to call it right now...there WILL be a work stoppage next year because of the upcoming CBA. The players union is not going to give up the mantle of the strongest union in sports without a serious, serious fight.

I believe the owners will force the 50 game season and next season we should anticipate a work stoppage. Baseball is on the brink of going 2 1/2 years into the dark.

Let's get this hammered out!

I am not blaming the PA for this one, but there is something to be said about a sport that so much of the power resides with the PA, like baseball does. Basketball is more of a joint-effort, sliding towards players it seems more each day. NFLPA is practically useless.

I agree, basketball has the best partnership by far.

I agree, basketball has the best partnership by far.

It feels that way, but you can't argue with the results of the NFL. The NBA would trade spots with the NFL in one second if they could, don't get me wrong. The NBA is set up a bit differently where players are much more high profile whereas teams in the NFL are the attraction.

It feels that way, but you can't argue with the results of the NFL. The NBA would trade spots with the NFL in one second if they could, don't get me wrong. The NBA is set up a bit differently where players are much more high profile whereas teams in the NFL are the attraction.

The NFL is by far the most successful, I was just talking about the cooperation between players and ownership. Non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL will always be a sticking point for the NFL.

Don't confuse the popularity of the league itself, versus the satisfaction of the players themselves. The vast majority of NFL players would trade in a heartbeat to be in the shoes of their MLB brethren. Signing a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract in the NFL isn't worth the paper it's written on. Owners can cut players and salary willy-nilly anytime they want. Only recently have you started to see some players begin to get "guaranteed" money. Likewise, the NBA players would love to be in a league without a salary cap, like baseball. There are no "max deals" in baseball.

Don't confuse the popularity of the league itself, versus the satisfaction of the players themselves. The vast majority of NFL players would trade in a heartbeat to be in the shoes of their MLB brethren. Signing a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract in the NFL isn't worth the paper it's written on. Owners can cut players and salary willy-nilly anytime they want. Only recently have you started to see some players begin to get "guaranteed" money. Likewise, the NBA players would love to be in a league without a salary cap, like baseball. There are no "max deals" in baseball.

Oh, I get all of that and don't disagree with any of it. When I said "NBA" and "NFL" I am not talking about players. NFL players get crapped on more than any other league. But I also think there is something to be said to their success in not giving all their power - as MLB has - to the players.