Major League Baseball's 2020 Season to begin July 1-4

Why would the players think they should get paid the same amount as a normal season? Is that what's happening?

They were offered a 50/50 split on revenue for this season. That was going to only pay the high end guys about 30% of regular pay. Without ticket sales revenue will be TV only, that's a huge cut. Players seem to want at least 50% of regular pay to play this year. At least that's how I understand it all.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the players think they should get paid the same amount as a normal season? Is that what's happening?

The league and the players agreed back in March that once the season started, players would be paid their normal salary prorated on a per-game basis. So with the 82-game schedule the league proposed, the players would already be paid only half their normal annual contract. The players expect the league to honor that agreement. The owners argue that was negotiated expecting fans in the stands and so with higher available revenues.

However, I expect both sides to come to a reasonable conclusion here. The league's first proposal was a non-starter, just like they knew it would be, slashing salaries an additional 33 percent, on average. They didn't start the negotiations with their best offer, but with their best-case offer. Both sides will figure this out because nobody wants a lost season.

The league and the players agreed back in March that once the season started, players would be paid their normal salary prorated on a per-game basis. So with the 82-game schedule the league proposed, the players would already be paid only half their normal annual contract. The players rightfully expect the league to honor that agreement.

This I'm fine with. Makes sense. Pay them for what they actually play.

No. I think they are asking to be paid prorated for the games they play. A $20MM dollar player would get paid $10MM dollars. Makes sense until you factor on the other side that revenues will be significantly cut. The owner's opening offer yesterday was not even considered by the player's side.

Are they playing at least 50% of the games?

Maybe, but revenue will be waaaaay down. No tickets, no parking, no concessions and no souvenirs. As Getslow said, the last offer was never going to be accepted. Hopefully this gets worked out soon.

However, I expect both sides to come to a reasonable conclusion here. The league's first proposal was a non-starter, just like they knew it would be, slashing salaries an additional 33 percent, on average. They didn't start the negotiations with their best offer, but with their best-case offer. Both sides will figure this out because nobody wants a lost season.

I wish I had your optimism. I just feel like the owners are going to try to use the current situation to try to bust the players' union. They'll cry "we don't have any income, so we are poor" and try to get public sentiment on their side. I think the union is going to dig their heels in on this, especially with the next CBA around the corner. I imagine they'll consider each concession being viewed as a sign of weakness, regardless of the current situation.

If they don't figure out a way to play, the fans will react more negatively than they did to the play stoppage in the 90's.
Maybe. But I think it will be an "out of sight, out of mind" type thing since the season never got started and the NBA and NFL will fill the interest.

I wish I had your optimism. I just feel like the owners are going to try to use the current situation to try to bust the players' union. They'll cry "we don't have any income, so we are poor" and try to get public sentiment on their side. I think the union is going to dig their heels in on this, especially with the next CBA around the corner. I imagine they'll consider each concession being viewed as a sign of weakness, regardless of the current situation.

I enjoy watching how these things play out in the public eye. Billionaires complaining about millionaires and their dollars, and vice versa, probably does not register high on the sympathy scale with historic unemployment numbers.

One thing I have heard kicked around is a salary deferment concept. Think Bobby Bonilla contracts all around. I actually think that is a solid solution. I am pro player with this, as they are the ones assuming the risk and are the ones who have earned their contracts. But I do get that is part of an equation of television and attendee dollars.

Minor league baseball released hundreds of players today.

I was just going to comment on that. Baseball will be changed forever from this point forward.

MLB teams are making major changes to their entire minor league structure. They are reducing the number of minor league teams. The players released yesterday look to be the career minor league type player. Many were older (25 or so)players who were once high draft picks or top prospects whose chances of making the majors even for a cup of coffee were minute. The beneficiary of this should be the independent minor league teams. I could see a lot of these released players signing with the independents to keep the dream alive. I think MLB would like to see a higher quality independent minor league as a potential player resource and move these players off the MLB team payroll.

I also think the DH will be here to stay.