Major League Baseball's 2020 Season to begin July 1-4

Per their contracts, would the players get paid if the entire season is cancelled? IMO not a good look for the players to play too much "hard ball" when we have 20+% unemployment, and people are just barely hanging on and begging for some welcoming diversion.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per their contracts, would the players get paid if the entire season is cancelled? IMO not a good look for the players to play too much "hard ball" when we have 20+% unemployment, and people are just barely hanging on and begging for some welcoming diversion.

Not sure how their contracts are worded, but I really don't think the Owners are under any obligation to pay the players if the season is cancelled. It is why you have seen deals in place where they are getting paid on a month-by-month basis. The umpires got paid for April, then brokered for 30% the remainder of the season, with a reduction in their Per Diem. The thought was this deal was brokered to apply pressure to the players to agree to something similar.

Rays Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell said the risk of returning to play this season is “just not worth it” — at least not for significantly less than his original $7 million salary.

7 million over a 4 month season would gross 1.75 million per month.

Rays Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell said the risk of returning to play this season is “just not worth it” — at least not for significantly less than his original $7 million salary.

I am fine with any player who wants to sit out and not play, and not get paid, and lose a year on his contract. Move on without them. It will still be baseball and it'll still be fun to watch.

I am fine with any player who wants to sit out and not play, and not get paid, and lose a year on his contract. Move on without them. It will still be baseball and it'll still be fun to watch.

Players get paid twice a month, so you figure he would give up around $612,500 biweekly.

I don't care how much you're making, that's a pretty big chunk of change.

Yep, one of of those checks would change most peoples lives. Pay of their mortgage, any other debt, significant boost to retirement savings, etc.

If that is his current thought plan, I guess he isn’t playing this year. Players have already agreed to a pro-rated salary for this season, so he’s down to at most 3.5 million for this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking more and more like this is not going to happen, in my opinion. Owners are saying they can't make it without some pay cuts by the players, but of course are not going to open up their books to prove it, either. Now they want a sliding scale, in addition to prorated pay. So, the top players would take the biggest hit (anywhere from 50-75% loss).

And that's just the financial aspect of it. I still see several parts on the health (Covid) side that seem to be uncertain, as well. As much as I am hoping for it, I will be shocked if, in a month from now, we are just a few days away from the season opening.