Women’s Sports And......

MBWC41

The more I mature the more I understand and see Title IX as a necessity. I agree, it gives young women incredible opportunities that they would not have had prior.

I’m just not sure I see a place for it, from a sports perspective, after high school.

I believe it is important for college also. The opportunity to play a sport in college supports and incentivizes those sports at the high school level.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it is important for college also. The opportunity to play a sport in college supports and incentivizes those sports at the high school level.

Again, I’m not asking for the charity sports to be dropped, only asking that they be played at a level in line with their worth...

Still waiting on an explanation of why we should fund “sports” that have never and will never produce any sort of return...

Because sports at the college level (or any level outside of the pro's) aren't all about revenue. One big thing is that sports help develop the sense of community on campus and can bring pride and excitement to the college experience. That means greater enrollment. And this lasts beyond the college experience, as sports are one thing that keeps alumni involved, which means donations. Also, while many sports don't make money, many at least aren't losing a ton of money either.

You’re right.

So the pay gap exists because women’s sports don’t generate enough viewership to regularly be profitable.

From a quick google search, the population of our country is roughly 50-50.

If that’s accurate, this seems to be a very simple solution then...

Women need to watch sports with the same passion men do.

That would be an improvement. But the bigger difference would be if MEN watched women’s sports with the same passion that they watch men’s sports.

But it’s not going to happen. This is not tomatoes/tomahtoes and potatoes/potahtoes.

One could say that that it did not make a difference if their doctor/dentist/lawyer/teacher was a man or a woman. But with sports, this is an entertainment choice about how folks want to spend their bucks during their leisure time.

Because sports at the college level (or any level outside of the pro's) aren't all about revenue. One big thing is that sports help develop the sense of community on campus and can bring pride and excitement to the college experience. That means greater enrollment. And this lasts beyond the college experience, as sports are one thing that keeps alumni involved, which means donations. Also, while many sports don't make money, many at least aren't losing a ton of money either.

I’d agree with this if the cost of tuition weren’t crippling for the average student...

Again, our money would be better spent sending the average student to school on scholarship than it would financing a “sport” that will never pay for itself...

I’d agree with this if the cost of tuition weren’t crippling for the average student...

Again, our money would be better spent sending the average student to school on scholarship than it would financing a “sport” that will never pay for itself...

Agree 100%.

Again, not all sports lose money. And sports attract students and build a sense of community on campus.

Again, not all sports lose money. And sports attract students and build a sense of community on campus.

Let’s be real, every sport that isn’t football and men’s basketball loses money.

I’d feel an incredible amount of community pride if we spent our football and basketball profits on scholarships for traditional students vs supporting teams who hemorrhage money...

I paid in state tuition for all three of my children. I feel they got excellent educations for the price, sports aside. One of my children chose UK for the social aspects, some of which revolved around sports, including women’s volleyball.

Bottom line is college is about a lot of things. Students make college choices for different reasons. Having a wide range of options attracts a wide range of students. The more tuition paid, the more room there is for financial aid.

In the old days, I commuted to NKU and worked full time because that is all I could afford. I was fortunate enough to help my kids go away to college, a privilege I didn’t have. I was amazed at how many of their friends took out a loan for college, joined frats/sororities, and never missed a spring break. They went blissfully through four years not thinking about debt. Now that they are in the real world, they get it. I was raised differently. No one has to acquire “crippling debt” because a school offers sports that don’t make money.

• 2 weeks later...