Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Women’s Sports And......

Featured Replies

  • Author

I figured math and common sense wouldn’t entice much of a reply....

  • Replies 73
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more I mature the more I understand and see Title IX as a necessity. I agree, it gives young women incredible opportunities that they would not have had prior.

 

I’m just not sure I see a place for it, from a sports perspective, after high school.

 

I believe it is important for college also. The opportunity to play a sport in college supports and incentivizes those sports at the high school level.

  • Author

Still waiting on an explanation of why we should fund “sports” that have never and will never produce any sort of return...

  • Author
I believe it is important for college also. The opportunity to play a sport in college supports and incentivizes those sports at the high school level.

 

Again, I’m not asking for the charity sports to be dropped, only asking that they be played at a level in line with their worth...

Still waiting on an explanation of why we should fund “sports” that have never and will never produce any sort of return...

 

Because sports at the college level (or any level outside of the pro's) aren't all about revenue. One big thing is that sports help develop the sense of community on campus and can bring pride and excitement to the college experience. That means greater enrollment. And this lasts beyond the college experience, as sports are one thing that keeps alumni involved, which means donations. Also, while many sports don't make money, many at least aren't losing a ton of money either.

You’re right.

 

So the pay gap exists because women’s sports don’t generate enough viewership to regularly be profitable.

 

From a quick google search, the population of our country is roughly 50-50.

 

If that’s accurate, this seems to be a very simple solution then...

 

Women need to watch sports with the same passion men do.

That would be an improvement. But the bigger difference would be if MEN watched women’s sports with the same passion that they watch men’s sports.

 

But it’s not going to happen. This is not tomatoes/tomahtoes and potatoes/potahtoes.

 

One could say that that it did not make a difference if their doctor/dentist/lawyer/teacher was a man or a woman. But with sports, this is an entertainment choice about how folks want to spend their bucks during their leisure time.

  • Author
Because sports at the college level (or any level outside of the pro's) aren't all about revenue. One big thing is that sports help develop the sense of community on campus and can bring pride and excitement to the college experience. That means greater enrollment. And this lasts beyond the college experience, as sports are one thing that keeps alumni involved, which means donations. Also, while many sports don't make money, many at least aren't losing a ton of money either.

 

I’d agree with this if the cost of tuition weren’t crippling for the average student...

 

Again, our money would be better spent sending the average student to school on scholarship than it would financing a “sport” that will never pay for itself...

I’d agree with this if the cost of tuition weren’t crippling for the average student...

 

Again, our money would be better spent sending the average student to school on scholarship than it would financing a “sport” that will never pay for itself...

 

Agree 100%.

I’d agree with this if the cost of tuition weren’t crippling for the average student...

 

Again, our money would be better spent sending the average student to school on scholarship than it would financing a “sport” that will never pay for itself...

 

Again, not all sports lose money. And sports attract students and build a sense of community on campus.

  • Author
Agree 100%.

 

Apparently we’re in the minority here Deuce...

  • Author
Again, not all sports lose money. And sports attract students and build a sense of community on campus.

 

Let’s be real, every sport that isn’t football and men’s basketball loses money.

 

I’d feel an incredible amount of community pride if we spent our football and basketball profits on scholarships for traditional students vs supporting teams who hemorrhage money...

Apparently we’re in the minority here Deuce...

 

I’m used to it. :lol2:

  • Author

So do we ask football Players to take the field with little to no compensation to play during a pandemic so we can fund everything else ?

I paid in state tuition for all three of my children. I feel they got excellent educations for the price, sports aside. One of my children chose UK for the social aspects, some of which revolved around sports, including women’s volleyball.

 

Bottom line is college is about a lot of things. Students make college choices for different reasons. Having a wide range of options attracts a wide range of students. The more tuition paid, the more room there is for financial aid.

 

In the old days, I commuted to NKU and worked full time because that is all I could afford. I was fortunate enough to help my kids go away to college, a privilege I didn’t have. I was amazed at how many of their friends took out a loan for college, joined frats/sororities, and never missed a spring break. They went blissfully through four years not thinking about debt. Now that they are in the real world, they get it. I was raised differently. No one has to acquire “crippling debt” because a school offers sports that don’t make money.

  • Author

Should title 9 extend to advertisement dollars ?

 

If Pepsi spends a million on a super bowl add should they have to that much on a WNBA finals game ?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.