Women’s Sports And......

MBWC41

How are these numbers calculated?

My wife often plays on her phone or reads a book as I watch a ball game. Is she considered a viewer ?

If a television is on, with an NFL game being played, in a household with 3 women and one man, are the women considered viewers?

Not doubting your calculations as your obviously much more informed on this aspect than I am.

There are a ton of studies out there that tackle this subject, and they all report roughly the same results. In the basic sense, the Nielsen ratings are the top collector of this info. Each resident in households that participate in the Nielsen ratings is given a unique code/device that they turn on when they begin watching something and turn off when they stop. So in your example, if your wife doesn't report she's watching the ball game, she's not recorded as a viewer. Nielsen doesn't just assume all members of a household watch the same thing.

There are a ton of studies out there that tackle this subject, and they all report roughly the same results. In the basic sense, the Nielsen ratings are the top collector of this info. Each resident in households that participate in the Nielsen ratings is given a unique code/device that they turn on when they begin watching something and turn off when they stop. So in your example, if your wife doesn't report she's watching the ball game, she's not recorded as a viewer. Nielsen doesn't just assume all members of a household watch the same thing.

How does someone report that they are or are not watching a particular event?

Makes sense.

I still don’t trust the numbers, but it makes sense :lol:

I can only form an opinion from personal relationships and experiences. To be honest, I don’t know a single female who would watch a ball game if a husband/boyfriend weren’t involved.

Maybe it’s more of a regional thing. Maybe the women in my life would watch more sports if we had local professional teams?

I can only form an opinion from personal relationships and experiences. To be honest, I don’t know a single female who would watch a ball game if a husband/boyfriend weren’t involved.

In my direct group of friends, which is about seven couples, not one of the ladies would watch sports without their boyfriend/husband.

I definitely know some females that will watch sports on their own, but it's nowhere near 40% of any group you'd put them in.

In my direct group of friends, which is about seven couples, not one of the ladies would watch sports without their boyfriend/husband.

I definitely know some females that will watch sports on their own, but it's nowhere near 40% of any group you'd put them in.

I’d love to know the area for some of these studies.

Maybe women in Dallas and San Francisco are watching sports at a much higher percentage than Kentucky?

I completely disagree with this.

You want your football and men's basketball team to function as a government-backed not-for-profit entity (as all university presidents do), then you suck it up and fund smaller sports, you fund women's sports, and you thank your boosters for helping out.

Now if we want to spin major college sports away from the tax-exempt, not-for-profit education area, then we can talk.

Another thought...

Why ?

So we can have some sort of moral high ground and say our university offers baseball, volleyball, swim and women’s basketball ?

Why ?

Could the money be better spent elsewhere?

It’s really irrelevant as to why women watch sports. So what if it’s with their BF/Spouse? What matters is that they do.

And perhaps it’s because I lived in A very large city for several years (Philly). But I met, know and saw many women who are absolutely rabid sports fans. Even my 25 year daughter visits different ballparks every year, takes trips to Louisville basketball and football games every year year, some just with the girls.

Again, I fully concede that a greater percentage of men are sports fans. But women do watch and consume sports content at a high level too, and are a very important part of the demographic for advertisers. Especially when you consider women make up to 70% of all the household buying decisions. Which is why marketers spend so many marketing dollars on sports. Because it reaches a very large audience because both men and women watch it in big numbers.

It’s really irrelevant as to why women watch sports. So what if it’s with their BF/Spouse? What matters is that they do.

And perhaps it’s because I lived in A very large city for several years (Philly). But I met, know and saw many women who are absolutely rabid sports fans. Even my 25 year daughter visits different ballparks every year, takes trips to Louisville basketball and football games every year year, some just with the girls.

Again, I fully concede that a greater percentage of men are sports fans. But women do watch and consume sports content at a high level too, and are a very important part of the demographic for advertisers. Especially when you consider women make up to 70% of all the household buying decisions. Which is why marketers spend so many marketing dollars on sports. Because it reaches a very large audience because both men and women watch it in big numbers.

I think there are a fair amount of woman who are sports fans with or without their significant other. My husband (who played college football) could go the rest of his life without watching anything sports related other than my kids. I, on the other hand, made sure that our cable package had all the sports channels, bought season tickets to the Reds and at one time the Bengals and shared UK basketball season tickets. That being said I hate watching woman's sports. I went to watch the USWNT when they were in Cincy because my daughter wanted to go with her friends. I went to a WNBA game that was pure torture. I would rather watch my son play high school basketball than my daughter. I guess the best way to explain it would be I only enjoy watching woman's sports when I know the participants. It just isn't as exciting for me.

Another thought...

Why ?

So we can have some sort of moral high ground and say our university offers baseball, volleyball, swim and women’s basketball ?

Why ?

It's not about moral high ground. It's about what the educational mission of the university should be. For me, that involves the funding of women's athletics and the non-revenue sports of both genders. It creates opportunity for all sorts of student athletes.

If the football team feels it owes nothing to the university mission, that's fine, but I don't then see why they should benefit from the educational status of the university as a whole.

I'll also say that I don't see college and professional sports in remotely the same way. Business is business and those need to stand on their own. College sports may look like business, but they're something else, complete with the tax exempt status that goes with it.

Another thought...

Why ?

Why ?

Yikes! You must not have been around before title IX. Young female athletes had very few opportunities to even play in high school. When they did they got the boys’ leftover equipment and last pick of gym time.

Playing sports teaches so many things besides the sport itself. Teamwork, sportsmanship, learning how to win and how to lose, how to properly work out, learning how to deal with criticism of difficult coaches, to name a few. Young women should have those same opportunities (not to mention scholarships),hence Title IX.

As far as pay for female professional sports, that is a different matter. For better or worse, male dominated sports make so much money, I have no problem with them making more. IMO it is not the same as a female CEO making less than her male counterpart doing the exact same job.

Women’s sports need to market better and improve viewership. Tough, since men’s professional sports got a few decades of a head start. Sadly, it is also a fact that more men watch sports then women. If people aren’t interested in watching it, then it doesn’t make money.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

I understand this line of thinking, I obviously don’t agree with it, but it’s a valid argument.

I’ve spent my adult life trying to be as financially efficient as possible.

Non revenue generating sports operating on a similar budget as revenue generating sports just seems terribly inefficient to me.

Young adults are taking on a crippling amount of debt to get an education. In a perfect world, we would cut our losses and use the money from our profitable programs to lower the cost of tuition or fund scholarships.

Ummm, isn't that what they're doing by providing funding for these other sports? I mean, if you take away the scholarships away from women's basketball, men's baseball, women's softball, soccer, track, golf, tennis and every other "non-revenue generating sports"...you're now asking all of those athletes to foot the bill themselves now. Universities are already funding scholarships with money from their profitable programs by having these other sports.

Now, if you want to maximize each dollar a university spends on their students...let's talk about the administration side of things. Tuition keeps going up...but it ain't the professors getting rich.

Ummm, isn't that what they're doing by providing funding for these other sports? I mean, if you take away the scholarships away from women's basketball, men's baseball, women's softball, soccer, track, golf, tennis and every other "non-revenue generating sports"...you're now asking all of those athletes to foot the bill themselves now. Universities are already funding scholarships with money from their profitable programs by having these other sports.

Now, if you want to maximize each dollar a university spends on their students...let's talk about the administration side of things. Tuition keeps going up...but it ain't the professors getting rich.

This is exactly what I’m trying to say.

I’ve tread jacked my own thread by bringing the college aspect into it so I want say too much.

I’m not implying that we should do away with all non revenue sports(men’s and women’s), I’m saying they should be played at more of a club level.

At a glance, it looks like Coach Mitchell will make around $800,000 this season and Coach Mingione will make around $500,000.

That’s a lot of scholarships...

Yikes! You must not have been around before title IX. Young female athletes had very few opportunities to even play in high school. When they did they got the boys’ leftover equipment and last pick of gym time.

Playing sports teaches so many things besides the sport itself. Teamwork, sportsmanship, learning how to win and how to lose, how to properly work out, learning how to deal with criticism of difficult coaches, to name a few. Young women should have those same opportunities (not to mention scholarships),hence Title IX.

As far as pay for female professional sports, that is a different matter. For better or worse, male dominated sports make so much money, I have no problem with them making more. IMO it is not the same as a female CEO making less than her male counterpart doing the exact same job.

Women’s sports need to market better and improve viewership. Tough, since men’s professional sports got a few decades of a head start. Sadly, it is also a fact that more men watch sports then women. If people aren’t interested in watching it, then it doesn’t make money.

I agree completely.

I’m not proposing that we eliminate the sports and the scholarships that come with them.

I’m wondering if the lessons you mentioned can be achieved in a more cost effective manner ?

The more I mature the more I understand and see Title IX as a necessity. I agree, it gives young women incredible opportunities that they would not have had prior.

I’m just not sure I see a place for it, from a sports perspective, after high school.