Guess the Year, Round 3

1974. Todd didn't even make the playoffs that year. Murray represented District 1. They were both undefeated in district play but Murray got the bid due to Dickinson, I believe.

I picked Class A specifically for some of the fun factoids just listed above.

How frustrating must it had been to be Todd County? They had to think they were more than well equipped to win a State Title and didn't even get to play a playoff game? People hate the current playoff structure.. imagine this scenario.

And Murray ended up winning the title 14-0 over Beechwood.

I also loved seeing Boyle County in there mentioned.

I think the fallacy is Boyle was a "nothing" program until Chuck Smith showed up, but they had some strong teams periodically as @ChiefSmoke and @Hatz can attest.

Chuck is arguably one of the finest coaches... ever... in the state of KY and deserves every bit of credit. I do appreciate you though highlighting some of those good Rebel teams leading up to his arrival. And, it was really down when he got there.

According to my Dad (who could definitely exaggerate when it came to his players :sssh: ) and to several of his old players, the 1970 Rebels scrimmaged Bardstown that preseason and did very well. Bardstown went on to win the state title that season. That was the year that Boyle's QB, Robert Allen Yankey, drown at midseason.... a tragedy that went way beyond football. And, my Dad and his teammates never got over it.

74 Indeed

Interesting. I thought '74 because of how good Harrodsburg was, lost to Heath by a point the semi-finals, but wondered if '70 when Boyle was 9-1-1 was the answer.

I picked Class A specifically for some of the fun factoids just listed above.

How frustrating must it had been to be Todd County? They had to think they were more than well equipped to win a State Title and didn't even get to play a playoff game? People hate the current playoff structure.. imagine this scenario.

Elkhorn City got upset by Lynch 16-0 after that undefeated regular season.

I know it all too well. We (Boyle) were 9-1 in '79 and the one loss in a mud bog cost us a playoff berth. We beat the AA semi-finalist, AAA District winner and had wins over Harrodsburg, Somerset and Danville. Know this pain all too well.

Chuck is arguably one of the finest coaches... ever... in the state of KY and deserves every bit of credit. I do appreciate you though highlighting some of those good Rebel teams leading up to his arrival. And, it was really down when he got there.

According to my Dad (who could definitely exaggerate when it came to his players :sssh: ) and to several of his old players, the 1970 Rebels scrimmaged Bardstown that preseason and did very well. Bardstown went on to win the state title that season. That was the year that Boyle's QB, Robert Allen Yankey, drown at midseason.... a tragedy that went way beyond football. And, my Dad and his teammates never got over it.

:thumb:

FYI, that Boyle team went 8-3 in 1974.

The next year, Boyle went 9-2 and finished ranked 5th in a poll but did not go to the playoffs because of the point system.

1976 Boyle went 10-2 with their 2 losses being by 1 point to A Semi-Finalist Frankfort and 7 points to AAA District winner Danville and Chris Jones.

Boyle was very good in the late 70's and into the early 80's.

FWIW:

3A

1. St Xavier 9-0

2. Trinity 7-1

3. Valley 9-0

4. Bishop David 9-2

5. Ballard 7-1-1

2A

1. Owensboro 10-0

2. Boyd County 10-0

3. Somerset 8-0

4. Danville 10-0

5. Henry Clay 8-1

At a school not known for its accomplishments on the football field, this was the best era in Boyd's football history. The '73 and '74 teams were led by a pair of future UK signees at running back - Terry Keelin and Rob Chaney. Maybe the most underrated backfield in EKY history.

In '73, the Lions advanced to the 2A title game before falling to Paducah Tilghman. With Keelin and Chaney back, Boyd County was ranked near the top of 2A all season in '74, but were upset by Middlesboro in the first round of the playoffs.

toddcentral.jpg

I know it all too well. We (Boyle) were 9-1 in '79 and the one loss in a mud bog cost us a playoff berth. We beat the AA semi-finalist, AAA District winner and had wins over Harrodsburg, Somerset and Danville. Know this pain all too well.

Lots of stories like this in the early to mid 70's for sure. The playoffs were too exclusive back then. IMO, Ky. got it right when they went to 4 classes and two teams from each district made it. 6 classes now, and 2 per district I think would be a good number.

Ohio had similar things happen with the harbin ratings. Undefeated teams missed the playoffs. Ohio allowed only the top 2 in each region in the playoffs for the longest time, upped it to 4, and even then left 9-1 teams out.

I think with multiple classes, there should be a fair measuring stick for making the postseason (top 2 in a district)

But for perspective sake, think about this there was a few years back in the 70's that NKY class 3A looked something like this: Highlands, CovCath, Newport, Newport Catholic, Lloyd, Conner, and only 1 team made the playoffs. Years would have been 75ish to 80ish. Dixie and Holmes may have bounced into that mix a few times as well.

IMO, Ky. got it right when they went to 4 classes and two teams from each district made it. 6 classes now, and 2 per district I think would be a good number.

That method only existed for four years, from 1987-90.