Why are non-essential businesses still allowed to operate?

theguru

If a company cannot provide a clear and convincing reason why they should remain open (and they have workers together face to face) they should have to close too.

100% in agreement.

I think we were thinking the same thing just saying it differently.

I’ve made a pretty decent life working in various plants, power generation and hazardous chemicals to be exact.

I think most people would be shocked at the amount of manufacturing that goes into, and the various chemicals it takes to produce most of what we buy.

From a simple ink pen bought from Walmart to the control panels on our military planes and ships.

Most everything you own took an incredible amount of manufacturing to get it to you.

The logistics of it all is mind blowing.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone that works with in the golf industry which has continuously been lauded as one of the few ways to safely social distance outside of the house, I would disagree with the idea of all non essential businesses shutting down.

Cutting grass/landscaping is not essential and it brings a ton of people together to work and they move from place to place.

It sounds like exactly the kind of thing a quarantine is supposed to guard against.

I was being selfish. But in all honesty we could do the job without any face to face or hand to hand transactions with customers. A crew of two could do jobs without ever coming into contact with anyone to be honest.

I was being selfish. But in all honesty we could do the job without any face to face or hand to hand transactions with customers. A crew of two could do jobs without ever coming into contact with anyone to be honest.

You come in contact with each other and then take whatever home to everyone else.

Based on the logic of not wanting to spread the virus I do not believe your profession makes the cut.

As someone that works with in the golf industry which has continuously been lauded as one of the few ways to safely social distance outside of the house, I would disagree with the idea of all non essential businesses shutting down.

You still have logistical issues that bring people together (meaning a great chance of spreading the virus) and playing golf is certainly not essential.

You come in contact with each other and then take whatever home to everyone else.

Based on the logic of not wanting to spread the virus I do not believe your profession makes the cut.

I get that, but we would be assuming someone on a two man crew was infected to begin with. Otherwise the only thing other than equipment on the trucks that would ever have to be touched is a gas pump.

For what it's worth I'm not disagreeing with you because I don't believe its essential work at this time myself. Just saying that it is a business that could do their job with very minimal contact with anything or anyone else if organized properly.

Large numbers of people in close (within 6 feet) contact. Four guys on a landscaping job are not a problem. One thousand people in a manufacturing plant where large amounts of workers are not close to each other is not a shutdown target. Twenty people in a restaurant with 2 servers and tables turning every hour is a problem.

How is "life -sustaining" defined?

It is a pdf that you can sort through but a list was provided:

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/scanned-from-a-xerox-multifunction-printer-1-1584656193.pdf

Here are some examples of industries that are a No:

Coal Mining

Construction

Textiles

Metal Manufacturing

Computer, Audio, & Video Manufacturing

Electrical Equipment

Furniture Stores and Manufacturing

Lumber

Auto Dealers

Sporting Goods

Florists

Motion Picture and Video Industries

Brokerage

Real Estate

Insurance

Tax Prep, Bookkeeping, Payroll

Legal Services

Schools

Daycare

Personal Care - Gym, Barber, Beauty, Nails, etc.

Restaurants and Bars

Performing Arts

It is a pdf that you can sort through but a list was provided:

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/scanned-from-a-xerox-multifunction-printer-1-1584656193.pdf

Here are some examples of industries that are a No:

Coal Mining

Construction

Textiles

Metal Manufacturing

Computer, Audio, & Video Manufacturing

Electrical Equipment

Furniture Stores and Manufacturing

Lumber

Auto Dealers

Sporting Goods

Florists

Motion Picture and Video Industries

Brokerage

Real Estate

Insurance

Tax Prep, Bookkeeping, Payroll

Legal Services

Schools

Daycare

Personal Care - Gym, Barber, Beauty, Nails, etc.

Restaurants and Bars

Performing Arts

I'm in good shape if Kentucky follows those same guidelines then.

I don't know about power plants but manufacturing plants that don't produce essential good should be shut down for sure.

Can’t. Manufacturing plants such as mine will produce goods that are not essential at this time but at the same time allowing companies like Apple and Corning to keep their plants open to produce their goods will allow those companies to help prop up what is now a failing economy.

You shut us down and the economy will get even worse.

Pick your poison.