Coronavirus and the Airlines - Why are they still flying?

theguru

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister’s ex-husband works for Delta. He told her that they probably won’t take the bailout.

I would have to guess at this point and time with all the variables surrounding these type of decisions, no companies really know what holds for their future decisions regardless of their size.

I would have to guess at this point and time with all the variables surrounding these type of decisions, no companies really know what holds for their future decisions regardless of their size.

Also kind of wild to think that they will not accept the bailout because of certain provisions.

A year ago there were 2.3M domestic travelers in airplanes.

Yesterday there were 154,000.

I believe the airlines should keep operating and those numbers demonstrate it is being done as safely as possible. I consider the airlines an essential business. The primary goal of the restrictions is control the spread so it doesn't overwhelm our health care. There is an acceptable level for the airlines to operate and those numbers look well within an acceptable level to me.

I believe the airlines should keep operating and those numbers demonstrate it is being done as safely as possible. I consider the airlines an essential business. The primary goal of the restrictions is control the spread so it doesn't overwhelm our health care. There is an acceptable level for the airlines to operate and those numbers look well within an acceptable level to me.

I agree. Especially when I keep seeing pictures of doctors and nurses traveling to hard hit areas to volunteer their services to help aid in this fight.

I agree, keep them flying, not many travelers at cvg this week. In terminal B the only thing open is Mcdonalds and The Bagel restaurant. I think one or two of the shops. In

terminal A the only restaurant open today was subway and Starbucks and one of the shops.

One reason airlines are still flying - that is how COVID test kits are getting to the labs.

I really doubt many of these kits are traveling via the passenger carriers. I'm guessing most are being expedited on UPS and Fex Ex door to door.

I really doubt many of these kits are traveling via the passenger carriers. I'm guessing most are being expedited on UPS and Fex Ex door to door.

Family member who is pilot posted pictures boxes of test loading onto Southwest flights. Fedex and UPS work if overnight is acceptable. But the airlines rapid transport services go intraday. We used to use Delta Dash a lot to move datacenter computer tapes before the days of high speed bandwidth everywhere.

A year ago there were 2.3M domestic travelers in airplanes.

Yesterday there were 154,000.

Anyone see the article about travel from China to the US between January and March? Almost 800k. Almost 2 million from the UK and several hundred thousand from Italy and Spain. Our planet is very very fluid nowadays.

That was just commercial air, doesn't include cruises or shipping of freight.

There is no legitimate reason for airlines to be flying passengers right now.

Aside from the emergency situations I highlighted earlier....

I read an article about an airport and the passengers flying. Every passenger was returning home from wintering in Florida or Arizona, or was a young adult away at college and flying back to be with their parents. And before people say, "these people can just drive or stay put," please take note that most of these people do not have a car, if they rent a car the rest stops are closed, and hotel reservations are at a premium (and who wants to go into a hotel right now unless forced?). None of the passengers were for business or leisure.

Aside from the emergency situations I highlighted earlier....

I read an article about an airport and the passengers flying. Every passenger was returning home from wintering in Florida or Arizona, or was a young adult away at college and flying back to be with their parents. And before people say, "these people can just drive or stay put," please take note that most of these people do not have a car, if they rent a car the rest stops are closed, and hotel reservations are at a premium (and who wants to go into a hotel right now unless forced?). None of the passengers were for business or leisure.

We are far enough along in this that people should have been home weeks ago if they were being responsible.