Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

I assume most of you have seen the study John Hopkins did, here is the Abstract:

This systematic review and meta-analysis are designed to determine whether there is empirical evidence to support the belief that “lockdowns” reduce COVID-19 mortality. Lockdowns are defined as the imposition of at least one compulsory, non-pharmaceutical intervention (NPI). NPIs are any (redacted) mandate that directly restrict peoples’ possibilities, such as policies that limit internal movement, close schools and businesses, and ban international travel. This study employed a systematic search and screening procedure in which 18,590 studies are identified that could potentially address the belief posed. After three levels of screening, 34 studies ultimately qualified. Of those 34 eligible studies, 24 qualified for inclusion in the meta-analysis. They were separated into three groups: lockdown stringency index studies, shelter-in-placeorder (SIPO) studies, and specific NPI studies. An analysis of each of these three groups support the conclusion that lockdowns have had little to no effect on COVID-19 mortality. More specifically, stringency index studies find that lockdowns in Europe and the United States only reduced COVID-19 mortality by 0.2% on average. SIPOs were also ineffective, only reducing COVID-19 mortality by 2.9% on average. Specific NPI studies also find no broad-based evidence of noticeable effects on COVID-19 mortality.

While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2022/01/A-Literature-Review-and-Meta-Analysis-of-the-Effects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

And for balance, the Snopes.com response to it:

The Bottom Line

The viral “Johns Hopkins study” about lockdowns was not the work of Johns Hopkins University, it was not peer-reviewed, and it was not written by epidemiologists. A number of researchers have also taken issue with the methods used in this study.

Furthermore, the conclusions of this non-peer reviewed working paper run counter to published studies in academic journals that found lockdowns did prevent COVID-19 deaths. One study, for example, found that lockdown policies helped prevent millions of deaths early in the pandemic.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/02/03/johns-hopkins-study-on-lockdowns/

23 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Cases in US have dropped 51% in last 7 days. I think there is enough people with natural immunity and enough vaccinated to start dropping restrictions. 

Do we ever get back to the point of the "old normal?" Kids in schools without masks, etc. If so, when do you think that happens? What do we have to reach to make that happen?

11 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Do we ever get back to the point of the "old normal?" Kids in schools without masks, etc. If so, when do you think that happens? What do we have to reach to make that happen?

The tide has turned, soon. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Based on IHME Covid prediction model that has done well, I think sometime in March. It shows cases dropping like a rock and by April basically gone other then few cases still around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Based on IHME Covid prediction model that has done well, I think sometime in March. It shows cases dropping like a rock and by April basically gone other then few cases still around.

I liked this because I don't have the option to love it. I would absolutely love to be back to some resemblance of normal around March! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I figured we peaked a couple of weeks ago because I knew several people that were positive with covid and now I don't know anyone positive. Anecdotal but seems to match up with overall data.

Because of my job, I get a LOT of anecdotal COVID info. I have seen how widespread and how much impact COVID  has had, including serious illnesses and deaths. The number of people I know of with COVID in their family and friends has dropped significantly the last two weeks.

• Like 2