Covington Catholic 59 Newport Central Catholic 24

Who was CCH missing??

The 7 foot kid was out with an illness.

NewCath's big kid would have helped a little, but not enough to make this any kind of game. CovCath did a LOT of work around the rim, even without the 7 foot kid.

The Pangallo kid gives them a more athletic wing, which would help a little on both ends.

This is still a 20 point game, minimum, with everyone healthy on both sides.

On the brighter side for NewCath moving forward... by the time Mullikin, Jefferson, and Pangallo get back into the mix they’ll have a more experienced bench.

They’ve been unfortunate to have been handed lemons with those guys being out, but knowing the Breds they’ll turn that into lemonade for a much sweeter 2nd half of their season.

Will that equate to them being able to compete with the likes of CovCath? Probably not, but it still should see them having more “W’s” this season when all is said and done.

If they’re really lucky they’ll have those guys back to be able to shine better in the All “A” Classic. With this year’s dominance of CovCath that’s about all that any of the stronger 9th Region All “A” teams can hope for.

Easy there, partner. I know you love your Colonels, but Beechwood and Highlands might have something to say about your statement there.

C’mon man. I like Highlands, NCC, Beechwood and even over achieving Newport, but it’s undeniable:

1. CCH

2. Highlands, Beechwood, NCC (Healthy)

Wow. Not very knowledgeable in basketball in the 9th. More so baseball and football, but during my day this was usually a very competitive game. Could CCH possibly get them a championship this school year in basketball as well? How do they compare to the rest of the state? Cause it seems that they are above the 9th by a far margin as of right now.

C’mon man. I like Highlands, NCC, Beechwood and even over achieving Newport, but it’s undeniable:

1. CCH

2. Highlands, Beechwood, NCC (Healthy)

My guess is he is saying Beechwood and Highlands are above New Cath. I don't think he is saying Beechwood or Highlands are better than CCH.

Could CCH possibly get them a championship this school year in basketball as well? How do they compare to the rest of the state? Cause it seems that they are above the 9th by a far margin as of right now.

They are a long way ahead of everyone else in the 9th, but unlikely to be able to win State. They have struggled to date with really athletic teams that can turn up the heat full-court. They will be tested, they play a fantastic schedule including the Florida Tourney and Male, but I'm guessing they don't have enough to quite get over the top at Rupp.