Mr. Football

Jeepman

I thought this was pretty interesting too as well as just as interesting that no one has mentioned this kid's name in this thread...

Wonder what people think about Coach Serrotte's (Lou. Central) comments in the CJ last saturday that he felt that hands down, no argument or question that Tim Hughley was by far Kentucky's Mr. Football and was a better football player than either Anderson or Beaumont.

I dont think he is better than either of the two but the fact that no one really knew about him until the CJ started mentioning him on a regular basis as Central advanced further into the playoffs was pretty much a slight against a pretty good player. I would think that without him, Central is pretty much an average team this year.

My question is this: Is the fact that he plays in Louisville and Central wasnt covered greatly in the CJ and was routinely overshadowed in press coverage next to Anderson and Beaumont hurt him? Maybe he gets some votes and Im sure the coach is just hyping up his own player because of his accomplishments. But if thats the case, then a lot of teams could argue their player is just as good, if not better, if they wanted to. Joe Raleigh of Valley had a pretty good year leading Vallyey to a great season. One could make the same argument for Maurice Coleman at Butler, though their season wasnt all that great. Does the fact that Anderson and Beaumont play at X & Male respectively, along with Petrino at T give them more of a boost in the press. How do guys like Hughley, Raleigh and Coleman overcome that "lack of press" hurdle to get their names out there?

Just wanted to see what others thought about this.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian's pick was a "bad Call". Man you Rock fans are sure a lotta of fun. I love reading any Rock Fans comments, I just hope most of you are nd fans.

I know it was a jinx that you can blame on LSURock. It was during the Ballard game in the pouring rain. I had just stated that "Brian hasn't thrown a pick all season". Bingo, he tosses his one and only pick of the year.

I don't have all Beaumont's or Anderson's stats, but to compare as runningbacks, below is each of their rushing stats against common opponents: To make a viable comparison a statistical analysis needs to have a common component (in this case a common opponent) therefore, I have not listed stats when each played different repspective opposition, as those stats would not have the common component for comparison.

Beaumont

PRP 8carries/80yards 10ypc

Iroquois 10carries/201yards 20.1ypc

Butler 5carries/108yards 21.6ypc

Manual 15carries/49yards 3.2ypc

Trinity 15carries/73yards 4.9ypc

Anderson

PRP 9carries/168yards 18.6ypc

Iroquois 2carries/53yards 26.5ypc

Butler 9carries/210yards 27.3ypc

Manual 10carries/116yards 11.6ypc

Trinity 16carries/65yards 4ypc (10:44 1st qtr game over)

Actually, Vick had 7 carries for 33 yards...but the same average in the Trinity game

Brian's pick was a "bad Call". Man you Rock fans are sure a lotta of fun. I love reading any Rock Fans comments, I just hope most of you are nd fans.

...make sure you clarify that with the rest of my statement saying that he got a freebie against Fern Creek, that's why I found it so funny.

I thought this was pretty interesting too as well as just as interesting that no one has mentioned this kid's name in this thread...

Wonder what people think about Coach Serrotte's (Lou. Central) comments in the CJ last saturday that he felt that hands down, no argument or question that Tim Hughley was by far Kentucky's Mr. Football and was a better football player than either Anderson or Beaumont.

I dont think he is better than either of the two but the fact that no one really knew about him until the CJ started mentioning him on a regular basis as Central advanced further into the playoffs was pretty much a slight against a pretty good player. I would think that without him, Central is pretty much an average team this year.

My question is this: Is the fact that he plays in Louisville and Central wasnt covered greatly in the CJ and was routinely overshadowed in press coverage next to Anderson and Beaumont hurt him? Maybe he gets some votes and Im sure the coach is just hyping up his own player because of his accomplishments. But if thats the case, then a lot of teams could argue their player is just as good, if not better, if they wanted to. Joe Raleigh of Valley had a pretty good year leading Vallyey to a great season. One could make the same argument for Maurice Coleman at Butler, though their season wasnt all that great. Does the fact that Anderson and Beaumont play at X & Male respectively, along with Petrino at T give them more of a boost in the press. How do guys like Hughley, Raleigh and Coleman overcome that "lack of press" hurdle to get their names out there?

Just wanted to see what others thought about this.

I saw Hughley play against Southwestern in the playoffs. He was unreal, and all of this was on a wet field. This kid had great moves and great speed. I think he scored 4 TD's in that game against a pretty good defense.

I said it before in another thread, but if this kid played for a more high profile program then he would be getting hyped like the above mentioned. Mr. Football is a lot like the Heisman in that you need to be hyped up by media to really get your name out to the rest of the state.

Doug Beaumont

Nick Petrino

Kasey Clark

Vic Anderson

Chase Minnifield

Kailen Ammons

Keith Tandy

Ben Revere

That is a GREAT list there and I could see Kramer getting some love.

IMO

Beumont wins it!

Anderson will be one of the better recruites to come out of KY.

Revere is one of the best atheltes EVER in KY and the best corner I've seen. He also had a slew of TD's and 7 returned kicks!

Ammons is one of the best two way threats in history from the QB position in KY!

Clark will forever be a hero in his community and desreves more credit than he gets!

Tandy + Minnifield will both have nice college careers and Jeter form HC is VERY underrated!

Petrino has been invaluable too his team!

You've also got kids like Wes Caldwell, Slusher and several other kids that have D1 offers! I think that speaks volumes as too where KY High School football has climbed!

I can't see that Shawn Grimm's name shouldn't be considered among these even though he is just a Junior. He took his team as far as some of these guys and even further than some. Plus, take a look at his stats in the semis against what some of you guys are saying as one of the best Defenses in the state in Cov. Cath.

Juniors don't win Mr. Football. He will (more than likely) be one of the top candidates next year.

Just like the past couple of years, the West doesn't get much credit or mentioning when it comes to Mr. Football threads on BGP but they ususlly show up when the votes actually get counted. Tandy like Micah Johnson last year and Curtis Pulley the year before did not lead their teams (albeit three good teams) to state so they don't get much credit. Like another posted stated the award is not always given to the best player on the best team, only the best player. I can't wait to see the voting and I'm sure Tandy will be near the top if not on top! It really doesn't hurt either that he just announced that he is attending West Virginia in the fall to play football!