NCAA football playoffs

ladiesbballcoach

Who should make the BGP collegiate football playoffs?  

543 members have voted

1. 1. Who should make the BGP collegiate football playoffs?

Is Louisville even going to win the big easy I mean East? If Rutgers beats WVU Saturday aren't they the conference champs?
A clever and original joke. Especially since the Big East and the SEC are in every computer poll peers, either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd

Sagarin: SEC 2nd, BE 3rd.

Anderson & Hestor: SEC 2nd, BE 3rd.

Billingsley: SEC 2nd, BE 3rd

Colley Matrix: BE 1st, SEC 2nd

Massey: SEC 2nd, BE 3rd

Wolfe: SEC 1st, BE 3rd

Doing it just like the BCS (dropping the best and worst) the SEC is a pretty solid choice as the 2nd strongest conference, and the BE 3rd.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a playoff system for college teams. Why should a computer get to pick the top teams. There are plenty of conferences so why not have the top two teams from each conference play in a playoff format. If you're an independent team -- join a conference.

$$$$$

I heard on the radio that there are now 31 bowl games. That is a lot of money that sponsors and television provides to the collegiate football game. I would say that the powers-to-be believe that they will not recoup that same $$$$ in a playoff system.

Plus, questions for what you proposed. ALL conferences get top two teams sent to playoffs? So the 2nd place finisher in the MAC goes while the 3rd place finisher in the Big Ten (Wisconsin and their 11-1 record) stays home and goes nowhere?

Lastly, a question for all, I keep hearing that the bowl games should be used in the playoffs. How many of those New Year's Day Bowl games do you think are going to be happy moving OFF of NYD to be the quarterfinals of the playoffs? Do you think the sponsor's and television $$$ is going to be the same for a Wisconsin/Boise State matchup on 12/27 at 3:00 PM as it is on NYD? And don't kid yourself that they are going to take Grey's Anatomy off the air to show this blockbuster playoff matchup.

And move it to ESPN or TNT but see the $$$$ plummet when it comes off one of the Big 4 networks.

$$$$$

I heard on the radio that there are now 31 bowl games. That is a lot of money that sponsors and television provides to the collegiate football game. I would say that the powers-to-be believe that they will not recoup that same $$$$ in a playoff system.

Plus, questions for what you proposed. ALL conferences get top two teams sent to playoffs? So the 2nd place finisher in the MAC goes while the 3rd place finisher in the Big Ten (Wisconsin and their 11-1 record) stays home and goes nowhere?

Lastly, a question for all, I keep hearing that the bowl games should be used in the playoffs. How many of those New Year's Day Bowl games do you think are going to be happy moving OFF of NYD to be the quarterfinals of the playoffs? Do you think the sponsor's and television $$$ is going to be the same for a Wisconsin/Boise State matchup on 12/27 at 3:00 PM as it is on NYD? And don't kid yourself that they are going to take Grey's Anatomy off the air to show this blockbuster playoff matchup.

And move it to ESPN or TNT but see the $$$$ plummet when it comes off one of the Big 4 networks.

March Madness does alright. There's plenty of arguments for the bowl system over a play off, but TV coverage/viewership just isn't on the list.

March Madness does alright. There's plenty of arguments for the bowl system over a play off, but TV coverage/viewership just isn't on the list.

So you think Nokia or whoever sponsors the Sugar Bowl would pay the same cost for a 3:00 quarterfinal game on 12/22 as they do for the game on New Years Day played at 8:00 PM? And that plays no part in the decision making.

So you think Nokia or whoever sponsors the Sugar Bowl would pay the same cost for a 3:00 quarterfinal game on 12/22 as they do for the game on New Years Day played at 8:00 PM? And that plays no part in the decision making.
I didn't say that.

Uh, in my opinion if you're knocking anybody out, one of those overrated SEC teams gets the first boot. Arkansas is the third SEC and last in the poll. And then, does the ACC champion deserve a spot if Boise State is ranked so far ahead of anyone in the conference?

I agree. I don't believe Arkansas belongs in an 8-team playoff. Why give a team that lost 50-14 a second chance?

I voted for Oklahoma (not many others did). The 10-2 Sooners lost a road game to then #18 Oregon 34-33 on a fluke call that everyone pretty much admitted was bad officiating.

I think the big bowls if kept closer to the quarterfinals and semis would stay involved. There are alot less bowlgames played on new years day than there used to be. As it is now there are only one or two bowls that really have any importance, and if they were used in a playoff system they would all be important.

They'll get their chance to play their way into the BCS fair and square on Saturday night in Kansas City. :thumb:

I agree, and I think they will get the Big XII's BCS bid. But this poll was looking for which teams deserve to make a hypothetical 8-team playoff. I think Oklahoma is more deserving than Arkansas.

I think the big bowls if kept closer to the quarterfinals and semis would stay involved. There are alot less bowlgames played on new years day than there used to be. As it is now there are only one or two bowls that really have any importance, and if they were used in a playoff system they would all be important.

Aren't there 8 or 9 played on New Year's Day? One championship bowl game on NYD. Two Bowl games for semifinals played on weekend before. Four more played 2 weekends before. That is 7. So one or two New Year's Day bowl games don't even get a game, if I am right on 8-9. And 4 of them get a game two weeks before NYday.

Not sure they are going to fork over the money they do for a game played on 12/17 or some date around there.

Just like the KHSAA won't change the Sweet 16 because of money, unless the legislature gets involved, NCAA won't go to a playoff because of money.

Added post.

There are 11 bowl games on Jan 1st and after.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9443142

Jan. 8 BCS Title Glendale, Ariz. FOX 8 p.m. BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2

Jan. 7 GMAC Mobile, Ala. ESPN 8 p.m. C-USA No. 2 vs. MAC

Jan. 6 International Toronto ESPN Noon MAC No. 3 vs. Big East No. 4/5

Jan. 3 Sugar New Orleans, La. FOX 8 p.m. BCS vs. BCS

Jan. 2 Orange Miami, Fla. FOX 8 p.m. BCS vs. BCS

Jan. 1 Fiesta Glendale, Ariz. FOX 8 p.m. BCS vs. BCS

Jan. 1 Rose Pasadena, Calif. ABC 5 p.m. BCS vs. BCS

Jan. 1 Capital One Orlando, Fla. ABC 1 p.m. SEC No. 2 vs. Wisconsin

Jan. 1 Gator Jacksonville, Fla. CBS 1 p.m. ACC No. 3 vs. Big 12/Big East

Jan. 1 Cotton Dallas, Tex. FOX 11:30 a.m. Big 12 No. 2 vs. SEC

Jan. 1 Outback

In a 8 team playoff, there would be 24 bowls without a game (including 3 that were played on/after Jan 1st) and that money, experience and the like lost for the other players on the teams that go there. Unless you expect the other 24 bowls to continue despite a playoff also being held. A playoff they are not part of.

If you have 16 teams, 15 games are played leaving 16 bowls without a game.

If you have 32 teams, 31 games and 5 weeks of a playoff system to use the bowl games as they stand now.