Why in Ohio but not in Kentucky?

Theoldguy

I believe that McKinley plays at Fawcett Stadium. While it is their "home field" it is owned by another entity and is also the home field of Walsh College and Malone College. (It does seat well over 20,000.)

I would also say Ohio makes some dumb decisions like in the past sending Cincinnati teams to play in Dayton. I think KY needs to do our own thing and not worry what other states do.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole idea is self serving. CovCath hosts Highlands this year and you have no problem with that despite the host coach calling for a crowd of 15,000. But now CovCath has to travel to Johnson County and this week, and suddenly this post appears. Seems like two weeks ago we should have seen a thread calling for the CCH-HHS game to be moved to either Ryle or Campbell County, much larger venues, far better parking situation, and neutral sites.

For the record, Ohio allows schools to host first round games, then uses neutral sites. Not necessarily college sites. Xenia, Princeton, Hamilton, and West Carrollton are some of the area high school that normally host second and third round games.

Ohio's state championship games are played on HIGH SCHOOL fields (Massillion and Canton McKinley).

Sandman you should call yourself the pot man, as in liking to stir the pot.:D

If you noticed, I talked about next year, and am sincerely looking forward to watching the game in Paintsville and meeting some of the BGP's guys down there. My thought really came from all the letters my daughter has received from all the colleges in Kentucky, like I said begging her to visit their schools. BTW, I wouldn't call Canton McKinley a high school football field (you have been there, right?) since the NFL has put more than a few dollars into the field that sits next to the NFL Hall of Fame, and where the NFL plays it's Hall of Fame game at.....I don't think that the NFL or NFL Players Association would allow their players/members to play on just any old High School field....

Looking at the practical side, who would pay for the neutral site (whether college or high school field)? Also, the concessions would probably be lost and the opportunity for increased revenue for the host school would be lost.

IMO, part of the allure of the playoffs is the travel to a different location for the game. I have some pretty neat memories of the trips to away games with my kids and hopefully they have the same sort of memories.

Not sayiing it's wrong to suggest new things, but I think just because somebody else does something a certain way doesn't necessarily mean everybody should do it that way. JMO

College stadiums wouldn't have to be utilized to even out the playing field (pun intended) for the semifinals, IMO. Why not play them on neutral sites, halfway between each school? If there is a good College field that fits the bill, great, but there are enough high school venues that would serve that purpose. The home field gives quite an advantage that I always thought was unfair, especially in the later rounds when travel is exaggerated.

I totally agree Watusi

In Ohio the 1st round games are hosted by the higher seeded team. All rounds after that are neutral site games. In Ohio this includes college and high school venues with enough seating capacity. The smaller high school divisions pay at larger high school fields, while the larger divisions play at college fields, or other neutral sites.

In Ohio there are many artificial turf sites to host multiple games in a single day. In the Cincinnati/Dayton area that includes PBS, UC, UD, Miami, and several high schools with seating over 7000 or 8000. In Ky there just aren't that many locations to make this type of arrangement possible or even preferrable.

In the Lousiville area they have routinely used Cardinal Stadium and Papa Johns for early round games, but they have a large enough fan base to make that possible, and even preferrable. The bottom line in KY is that this just doesn't make much sense statewide.

Why in Ohio can they play High School football games at College sites which are neutral, fields are in great shape, and the stands hold a whole lot more people but we don't/can't in Kentucky? Why couldn't Universities sites like WKU, EKU, Morehead, Murray, Georgetown etc..... be used to play the third round or at least the semi-finals? Ohio can do it, why can't Kentucky......

Now before the JC fans get all upset, I am looking forward to visiting Paintsville:D , but why couldn't this game be played at Morehead? I understand it is your turn, but why not with the new six classes starting next year, change the system even more. Seems the Colleges would love all those future students visiting their schools and could do all the recruiting of them before during and after the games. Seems with all the letters my daughter has received during the last couple of months begging to her to visit their college, it would be a great tool and cost effective too.

Interestingly, what the state coaches committee has pushed for over the last few years is about making a list of certified fields and potential neutral or approved sites for the fourth round. An all weather surface would be required first and foremost. When we met, we wanted KHSAA to come up with a list of fields, and require the designated home team to select from those fields. It isn't just Ohio. A great many other state, including West Virginia to name another one, require their games to be played on an "approved" field. Unfortunately, I have disagree with cshs. It is more than just "if its too small its just too bad" philosophy. Games of the fourth round in particular should be played at places big enough to hold the crowds no matter who plays. Right now, as I understand, that plan is still under study and information on costs, etc. being gathered. With WKU moving away from I-AA and their field now being available for playoff games (including the finals in years that conflict with Louisville home games), that might prove to be the missing link in the future.

My feeling is that if its a team's turn to host and if they've earned it, they should host it. If the stadium is too small, too bad. Its their turn and they should take every advantage of it.

Without question, under our current system, the home team should have their game on their home field. Voluntarily moving to another site would be incredibly unwise.

But the bigger question looms. And that is what is better for the sport? Alternating home locations or finding suitable neutral sites for at least the semifinals? We are looking for a level playing field, are we not?

Of course, I'm only advocating this for the semifinals. Home field would still be enjoyed in the first 3 rounds, and that would be earned by winning regular season games and getting a high seed.

Looking at the practical side, who would pay for the neutral site (whether college or high school field)? Also, the concessions would probably be lost and the opportunity for increased revenue for the host school would be lost.

Good question. I would think concessions and a small percentage of the gate to the host school, especially if using a high school venue, would cover the cost of using the field. Would the two teams lose a little revenue? Yes. But would that be worth the benefit of having a neutral location? Over the long run, I say yes.

Without question, under our current system, the home team should have their game on their home field. Voluntarily moving to another site would be incredibly unwise.

But the bigger question looms. And that is what is better for the sport? Alternating home locations or finding suitable neutral sites for at least the semifinals? We are looking for a level playing field, are we not?

Of course, I'm only advocating this for the semifinals. Home field would still be enjoyed in the first 3 rounds, and that would be earned by winning regular season games and getting a high seed.

I can live with that.

Interestingly enough, the state of Georgia does it like this.

The semifinals are played in the Georgia Dome. And the state championship games are played on home fields with the higher seeded teams hosting.

Talk about getting things backwards and losing sight of the big picture.

Having played in the Ohio State Playoffs, and covered playoffs in two other states, I can tell you that none of them routinely play at college fields.

Ohio does allow higher seeds to host first round games, but not after that. They are played on neutral HIGH SCHOOL Fields. With the finals at a Columbus Stadium. I believe it's been both at Ohio Stadium, and Columbus Crew Stadium. The finals have rotated as well. They've been held at various times in Dayton, and Canton.

As for West Virginia, they allow playoff games to be hosted right up to the finals if you're the higher seed. The finals in W.Va. have rotated from Mountaineer Field in Morgantown, to Laidley Field in Charleston, and I think they are now at Wheeling Island Stadium. Again, no games other than the finals are located at college fields. BUT--Your field MUST be certified by the WV Sanctioning Body as playoff approved. That's the same in Ohio.....That includes seating capacity, locker room avails and a bunch more stuff. As a result, lots of WV and Ohio teams move their home playoff games to a nearby approved site, which may include college fields.

I personally LOVE the chance for a team to host all the way through. It rewards them for a great season, and allows fans who can't travel to see the local boys at home.

One thing to note. There are some instances where high schools and colleges do share home fields. In those instances, schools are allowed in both Ohio, and West Virginia to host at home.

Ohio does allow higher seeds to host first round games, but not after that. They are played on neutral HIGH SCHOOL Fields. With the finals at a Columbus Stadium. I believe it's been both at Ohio Stadium, and Columbus Crew Stadium. The finals have rotated as well. They've been held at various times in Dayton, and Canton.

The finals are held at Canton McKinley and Massilon Washington, which I believe is Stark County.

Also, the D-I teams in Cincinnati (not sure about any other part of the state) routinely play on college fields after the first round.