Why in Ohio but not in Kentucky?

Theoldguy

If it's good enough for the NFL it's good enough for me. Home field advantage throughout the playoffs is earned. Then the Super Bowl is played on at a neutral site.

I don't like the fact that a two seed can host over a one seed in the semi finals because of the even/odd thing. If both are one seeds then even/odd is fine, but if it's a one and a two the one should get it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that would hinder quite a few teams is just the shear lack of great facilities in certain parts of our state. To host a semi-final game the stadum must first have ample seating dispersed between SEPERATE sets of Home/Visitor bleachers. That in itself would cut out the many staidums in kentucky that have capacities less than 3000.

Secondly, the majority of teams who are fortunate enough to have nice facilities seem also to be teams who perenniallyplay deep into the playoffs. Barring weather, and the lack of turf stadiums in the state, the number of potential fields are further pigeonholed.

Let's take the Belfry vs. Russell game this week. Where else cold you play it? Lawrence County (a definitive drop in facilities compared to these two schools)? The only other stadums I can think of that are about midway between theschools would be Pbur (one side seating), LC, Sheldon Clark (Seating), Paintsville (seating), Betsy Layne (seating)

The only possible neutral fields you could have played this game would have to be designated WELL before the season according to geography between the two regions.. that wouldn't have worked because you may have had Middlesboro vs. Corbin @ Morehead... or Belfry vs. Russell being played at Pulaski County (Somerset). You also would have had Belfry fans clamoring how it was unfair to play ona neutral field when they have possibly the nicest HS facility in Kentucky and had to travel just last year to Russell.

If we are going to change the system the first thing you must do is put it in place at the most opportune time (The move to 6 classes would be a good time) but secondly you have to get away from this revolving district plan so that you have clearly defined regions and a clear understanding of which schools will only be able to host two games maximum on their field before being forced to hit the road. Then you can pre-determine qualified venues that could be chosen and not already occupied by college football games. (I am sure that Georgetown College wouldn't be too happy to have a high school game at Rawlings Stadium on their grass field the night before they would host a playoff game).

The West Virginia playoff system is very flawed. They have 3 classes and the playoffs are determined by taking the top 16 teams in each class depending on a computer poll and pretty much say, "Go at it. Thus you find first round matchups with teams travelling upwards of 5 hours to play their game.. and if they win maybe travelling another 5 hours the next week. BUT, the one thing that WVSSAC does that I like is they pre-determine which high schools CAN host playoff games on their homefield. If they do not have the facilities or the field was muddy,,, quite simply you don't get to host it and must find somewhere else to play.