Coach Mcfarland Out at Ryle?

Benton is a legit 6’8”. I’ve seen him at several games.

We'll agree to disagree. I've not been to the Dr's office with him nor do I walk around with a tape measure, but I have seen him play against players listed as shorter than 6'8 that are either noticeably taller or the same height. Maybe hes not standing up straight, roster conspiracy, shoes, lol.

There are LOTS of kids there that parents have pumped up to be Stars & think they are truly college level basketball players. When in reality only Rankin & Benton are college material. The kid suited up for Holy Cross is a product of his environment. McFarland is a great role model & coach that's been coaching a bunch of average at best players that thought/think they are potential college basketball players other than the above mentioned. Ryle is a VERY tough environment to coach in. I wish parents would open their eyes & see the truth. We all want the best for our kids, yet setting them up on a pedestal & making them think they are going be college basketball players is doing them an injustice. Coach McFarland realized this about these parents and he will go to a program school & develop a team of kids & parents that are realist.

Well said, roll time back about 5 yrs ago and it was Coach Mullins the Ryle faithful was running off. Many people may not realize the good that Coach McFarland has did, started the little Ryle program, around 200 young kids getting instruction and playing on Saturdays, started a basketball camp that had around 250 young athletes this past year. Ryle fought injuries and some just plain bad luck most of the year, their star Vince Rankin played hurt, one of the guards was out most of the year with back problems. Ryle has had one trip to the state tournament since its opening, very little basketball tradition, five yrs from now, we will be hearing the same thing about the next coach would be my guess. David is as nice a young man as you will ever find and will coach again.

• Like 1

Odd thing about Ryle though is that their football and baseball team aren't that good either. Girl's soccer is bad and volleyball is decent.

The only sports they seem to sustain success is boy's soccer, fastpitch and, recently, girl's basketball.

I would have to say you not a big fan of Ryle high school!! I would agree football was down last year and basketball has been abismal that past few years, BUT to say the rest of the programs are bad or underacheiving is totally off base. Volleyball has been competitive, softball just went to state and been competitive, boys track has been decent, girls track 7 years and still running region champs, Girls soccer district champs past two years and believe advanced to regionals 9 out of last 10 years, just had wrestling state champion, girls tennis was just at state and region champs, Golf teams have always been competitive, boys soccer has been in mix each year.I would say alot of schools would be happy that have that much talent throughout their school. Every coach is not the right fit, and you do have some down years in sports, but overall I would consider Ryle to be very competitive across the board in sports with alot of talented kids!!!

I would have to say you not a big fan of Ryle high school!! I would agree football was down last year and basketball has been abismal that past few years, BUT to say the rest of the programs are bad or underacheiving is totally off base. Volleyball has been competitive, softball just went to state and been competitive, boys track has been decent, girls track 7 years and still running region champs, Girls soccer district champs past two years and believe advanced to regionals 9 out of last 10 years, just had wrestling state champion, girls tennis was just at state and region champs, Golf teams have always been competitive, boys soccer has been in mix each year.I would say alot of schools would be happy that have that much talent throughout their school. Every coach is not the right fit, and you do have some down years in sports, but overall I would consider Ryle to be very competitive across the board in sports with alot of talented kids!!!

You kind of agreed with me.

I said football was not that good and you agreed. I said that Volleyball was "decent" and you said they were "competitive," I would almost consider decent to be better than competitive. I said that fastpitch has had sustained success and you agreed.

I guess the only difference is girl's soccer and I see a record of 37-39 over the last four years.

I can't figure out how to read track, tennis, and golf stats on khsaa so I can't speak to those.

But back to basketball, just because a school is really big, doesn't mean that there is an abundance on basketball talent at that school. To assume that it is a coaching problem is a mistake. The Raider faithful got really upset with Alan Mullins and let him go in after the 12/13 season following a regional birth.

Different culture... Ryle/Cooper... Very different w/ adminstration, parents,etc... Check out the area, demographics...

Would you agree that the most similar non-private school to Ryle in NKY is Highlands? Or maybe Beechwood? Both are also very affluent, which I think is the point you are dancing around. Can the culture / parental support at HHS and the Wood not be replicated at Ryle? If you're reply is "no", why is that?

Well said, roll time back about 5 yrs ago and it was Coach Mullins the Ryle faithful was running off. Many people may not realize the good that Coach McFarland has did, started the little Ryle program, around 200 young kids getting instruction and playing on Saturdays, started a basketball camp that had around 250 young athletes this past year. Ryle fought injuries and some just plain bad luck most of the year, their star Vince Rankin played hurt, one of the guards was out most of the year with back problems. Ryle has had one trip to the state tournament since its opening, very little basketball tradition, five yrs from now, we will be hearing the same thing about the next coach would be my guess. David is as nice a young man as you will ever find and will coach again.

It seems like there are 2 factions in this thread. The "David is a nice guy" faction and the "Parents are delusional and David is an awesome coach" faction. Nobody seems to be really bashing the guy. Deductive reasoning would be that the delusional parents would be all over this thread, they are not. Call me crazy, but the Delusional Parent Syndrome argument seems to have no merit other than some loyal adults defending their guy at the expense of 15 and 16 year old kids and their parents. Coach Mcfarland is a nice guy in an unfortunate situation for all parties, I'm sure he'll bounce back with some valuable experience for the future. Unfortunately for the boys that have been exposed to this toxic environment, they dont get this time back. To Vince, Zach, Caggiano, Rabe, the kid that quit, the kid at Holy Cross.....Sorry fellas for all of the negative crap people have said about you, your parents and your team. Basketball doesn't define you just as in this case Ryle's record doesnt define David Mcfarland as a person.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13