Coach Mcfarland Out at Ryle?

As I mentioned before. This job is not one for the faint of heart. He better have plenty of experience. He better know how to get the parents and administration and kids all on the same page. If not it will be the same situation all over again. He better also bring in a staff that knows how to do these things also. A good head coach is only as good as the people around him. That is what makes and breaks head coaches. The ability to get everyone to believe in their system from the x's and o's , to the expectations of the student athletes. The role that the parents have and contrary to popular belief, parents do play a role in sports programs. Most importantly they have to get unwavering support from the administration. The last being the biggest key to success in my opinion. Good luck my friend to who ever earns the right to be the next Ryle Raider basketball coach!

I never said Ryle had outstanding basketball players in the program. I said there are 2 players that can play at the next level w/ is college. Soooo many parents/kids are in a fantasy world of "my kid is a D1 athlete". In reality, check the stats & % of how many kids go D1 & finish 4 years as a D1 athlete. Now mentioning the about Rankin has been offered D2,D3, & NAIA schools for basketball along with he's more than an athlete, he's a very solid academic student. He will be successful in the college world, because he & parents see the true picture... A college education & continuing to play the sport you love at a college level... That's the truth of the matter... So I'm not debating D1 basketball players in N.Ky, because there are very few. As for Benton, he has another year of high school, his family is well educated & will guide him to a college that fits his academic/athletic ability. Parents need to grow up, face the facts, quit putting their child as an idle & prized athlete & focus on education, a well rounded human being, & then consider if he/she has an opportunity to play the sport they love at a college level. If it's D1,D2,D3, NAIA, or Juco. So parents take the dream hats off of Top 10 D1 basketball schools & be realistic! Have a great weekend & dream bigger & better goals for your child than sports...

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

I think most could agree that McFarland is a great young man. It just didn't work out at Ryle. I hope Coach McFarland finds a landing place if he is still interested in coaching for another chance, and I hope Ryle finds the coach that institute can be successful with. I think it was time for the separation for both to go their separate ways for the betterment of both!

I never said Ryle had outstanding basketball players in the program. I said there are 2 players that can play at the next level w/ is college. Soooo many parents/kids are in a fantasy world of "my kid is a D1 athlete". In reality, check the stats & % of how many kids go D1 & finish 4 years as a D1 athlete. Now mentioning the about Rankin has been offered D2,D3, & NAIA schools for basketball along with he's more than an athlete, he's a very solid academic student. He will be successful in the college world, because he & parents see the true picture... A college education & continuing to play the sport you love at a college level... That's the truth of the matter... So I'm not debating D1 basketball players in N.Ky, because there are very few. As for Benton, he has another year of high school, his family is well educated & will guide him to a college that fits his academic/athletic ability. Parents need to grow up, face the facts, quit putting their child as an idle & prized athlete & focus on education, a well rounded human being, & then consider if he/she has an opportunity to play the sport they love at a college level. If it's D1,D2,D3, NAIA, or Juco. So parents take the dream hats off of Top 10 D1 basketball schools & be realistic! Have a great weekend & dream bigger & better goals for your child than sports...

You've made your opinion known on multiple threads and several times in this one, that the issues at Ryle are the parents despite very little criticism of Coach Mcfarland. Roll on, man. Wait, lets see if I can get one more. The origin of the problem at Ryle is parents that think their son is awesome, but doesn't get the playing time due to other players being better. This would lead me to believe that Coach McFarland selected who he felt could give him the best chance to win. He lost well over 100 games in 6 seasons with the players that he thought gave him the best chance to win. Remember, you said the kids didn't play because they think they are better than they are. You can only use the parents if the coach is somehow being forced to play them, they aren't any good anyway, correct? Personally, I believe its very irresponsible to accuse David McFarland of being a bad coach. I also believe its irresponsible to be critical of kids and parents in this thread considering the level of civility and respect most of the contributors to this thread are according this unfortunate situation. You should probably save the reckless rhetoric for the threads devoted to bashing Coach McFarland. Delusional Parent Syndrome doesn't seem like a credible or even plausible argument in this thread.

I don’t think it’s a thing of David can’t coach. The issue is I believe has the lowest winning percentage in the history and couple that with multiple 20 loss seasons and you get a disgruntled fan/parent base in addition to pressure on the administration.

No doubt David can coach but maybe he needs a different location to show it.

McFarland resigned 4 weeks ago. He tried to resign 2 years ago, yet the administration/AD promised to help him w/ the chances needed in the athletic programs & that didn't happen. David is a class act & best of luck to him. He'll find a program & be a great asset to the guys he coaches in the future.

Changes in the Athletic Programs? Specific? I think Coach McFarland received enough support from the top. Bottom line is he did not get the job done. Hopefully, the next coach can get things turned around.

There were some few in-house issues but majority of the problem was with dealings with the middle school on-campus. From day one they did not want to have much of a relationship with Ryle/McFarland. It is hard to build a solid program from top to bottom when you are getting undermined at your feeder school for over 5 years. I think East and West Germany had better relations than Gray programs and Ryle. Administration kept preaching to be patient but you can only be patient for so long. The final straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back was this past summer when the 8th grade job at Gray opened up. They brought in David for the hiring committee. David felt strongly that one of the candidates was far more qualified than the rest and very clearly made this known to the decision makers. Gray did not hire that candidate. This showed that the undermining/problems would continue so why continue to beat your head against the wall?

This should be priority #1 for the new head coach. If they can get Gray on the same page, Ryle can be a gold mine. Without that support it will be more of the same it has been for the past 26 years at Ryle.