Coach Mcfarland Out at Ryle?

There are LOTS of kids there that parents have pumped up to be Stars & think they are truly college level basketball players. When in reality only Rankin & Benton are college material. The kid suited up for Holy Cross is a product of his environment. McFarland is a great role model & coach that's been coaching a bunch of average at best players that thought/think they are potential college basketball players other than the above mentioned. Ryle is a VERY tough environment to coach in. I wish parents would open their eyes & see the truth. We all want the best for our kids, yet setting them up on a pedestal & making them think they are going be college basketball players is doing them an injustice. Coach McFarland realized this about these parents and he will go to a program school & develop a team of kids & parents that are realist.

PP1- I disagree with your statement about the other sports at Ryle. Your basing your assumption on last year’s football season. Usually Ryle is good in football. Baseball has had two sub par years in a row but is usually one of the top programs in nky. Current coach has over 500 career wins. I would not call Girls Soccer bad. Back to back district titles and definitely best in 33rd. Swim, Golf, Wrestling, Tennis, Track ,XC all good solid competitive programs with everyone. Boys Basketball has struggled for awhile. Hopefully they can hire the right person to get it turned around

Boys basketball struggled even before McFarland. He is far from the problem. Or, ONLY problem. Ryle is a huge school in NKY and has not been a legit contender for a regional title in near a decade or more.

3-8 in 2012

2-9 in 2013

If my math is correct, which isn’t necessarily a given, that is a record of 41-40 over the last seven years. I think that would qualify as not being good.

And, in regards to football, wasn't one of their coaches "run out by parents" as well, recently? All rumors, maybe.

There are LOTS of kids there that parents have pumped up to be Stars & think they are truly college level basketball players. When in reality only Rankin & Benton are college material. The kid suited up for Holy Cross is a product of his environment. McFarland is a great role model & coach that's been coaching a bunch of average at best players that thought/think they are potential college basketball players other than the above mentioned. Ryle is a VERY tough environment to coach in. I wish parents would open their eyes & see the truth. We all want the best for our kids, yet setting them up on a pedestal & making them think they are going be college basketball players is doing them an injustice. Coach McFarland realized this about these parents and he will go to a program school & develop a team of kids & parents that are realist.

In all honesty, what college program would the two above mentioned kids fit into, just asking?

I'll play Devil's advocate as I asked earlier. At what point should a change be made?

Many D3 programs. IMO Benton is the only one that projects to D2 because of his size and outside shooting.

He is a 32% 3-point shooter, who has hit 23 3-pointers on the year. Does this qualify as outstanding? He does have great size, but what is his skill set? I have seen plenty of 6'4 to 6'5 and above players come through NKY that don't project as D2 players just because of size.

Funny you don’t hear about “parent issues” at the school down the street. I think the culture has to be changed or maybe it can’t be.

This is true, and probably the best argument. The coach does have to set a culture. With that said, is it possible at Ryle? I guess I dont know the answer.

He is a 32% 3-point shooter, who has hit 23 3-pointers on the year. Does this qualify as outstanding? He does have great size, but what is his skill set? I have seen plenty of 6'4 to 6'5 and above players come through NKY that don't project as D2 players just because of size.

Great point! Pretty sure he's not 6'8. He is a good 3 point shooter for a big kid on a really bad team. Not sure that translates to a paid education. Good news is he is only a junior.

oach McFarland realized this about these parents and he will go to a program school & develop a team of kids & parents that are realist.

I hope he doesn't assume there is going to be a wide variety of schools that fit this criteria.

6'8 is a WHOLE different ball game than 6'4-6'5