Coach Mcfarland Out at Ryle?

IMO if parents would have left McFarland alone he would have done just fine!!

Not sure I understand your rationale. The Ryle parents are responsible for the losses. My only knowledge is conversations with 2 current parents. Sounds like your knowledge of their program may run much deeper than mine. Just seems like too many losses in a large enough sample to be the parents.

This is the piece everyone leaves out. Communities have to support programs/coaches in good times and bad. If parents aren’t invested, why would their kids be?

No dog in the fight and really tough to relate as a CCH supporter. Tough to win without support, tough to support without winning. At what point should a coaching change happen?

McFarland is a great guy! Just the wrong guy at the wrong time. 5 Straight losing seasons speaks for itself.

While I think both parties may be better off be separating, I think we need to be careful using wins and losses as the rationale for replacing a H.S. coach.

Give the beloved Dave Faust as an example, in the 16 years since he won the Region in 2003, he has 8 winning seasons, 8 losing seasons, and is 17 games under .500. That is counting the 13-12 he has thus far and assuming he ends with a winning record, so it is in the 8 winning seasons. No one, rightfully so, has ever called for a change at SHDHS. He has had 3 straight losing seasons on two occasions over the last 9 years.

Let's not make this move at Ryle about wins and losses, let's stick to the fact that for a myriad of reasons it was probably not a good fit. Especially for a young coach and a "very passionate" set of parents.

McFarland is a great guy! Just the wrong guy at the wrong time. 5 Straight losing seasons speaks for itself.

Winning is just as much about players as it is coaches. I have seen many really good teams/players over come bad coaching. Maybe not win championships, but win games for sure.

I’ve also seen great coaches get the most out of below average teams/players. Again, not win championships, but win.

Good players make good coaches. And, great coaches make below average teams better.

I do know this to be true.... if a coach thinks a player is good, and can truly help, he’ll play. So, if those parents want to see playing time, they would. If a coach believes a kid can’t play, or help win, then they won’t be on the floor, and seemingly quit (at Ryle). All this nonsense of “the best players are roaming the halls” seems like a lie people are telling themselves and others to justify a man losing his job.

Winning is just as much about players as it is coaches. I have seen many really good teams/players over come bad coaching. Maybe not win championships, but win games for sure.

I’ve also seen great coaches get the most out of below average teams/players. Again, not win championships, but win.

Good players make good coaches. And, great coaches make below average teams better.

I do know this to be true.... if a coach thinks a player is good, and can truly help, he’ll play. So, if those parents want to see playing time, they would. If a coach believes a kid can’t play, or help win, then they won’t be on the floor, and seemingly quit (at Ryle). All this nonsense of “the best players are roaming the halls” seems like a lie people are telling themselves and others to justify a man losing his job.

Am I missing something? I didnt see this in the thread?

Odd thing about Ryle though is that their football and baseball team aren't that good either. Girl's soccer is bad and volleyball is decent.

The only sports they seem to sustain success is boy's soccer, fastpitch and, recently, girl's basketball.

I see. Not sure what it's worth, but Ryle did not field a competitive roster this season I dont know why and won't act as if I could possibly know. I do believe the biggest loser in this whole thing is Vince Rankin, he deserved better. Parents and coaches owe that kid an apology.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

PP1- I disagree with your statement about the other sports at Ryle. Your basing your assumption on last year’s football season. Usually Ryle is good in football. Baseball has had two sub par years in a row but is usually one of the top programs in nky. Current coach has over 500 career wins. I would not call Girls Soccer bad. Back to back district titles and definitely best in 33rd. Swim, Golf, Wrestling, Tennis, Track ,XC all good solid competitive programs with everyone. Boys Basketball has struggled for awhile. Hopefully they can hire the right person to get it turned around

Odd thing about Ryle though is that their football and baseball team aren't that good either. Girl's soccer is bad and volleyball is decent.

The only sports they seem to sustain success is boy's soccer, fastpitch and, recently, girl's basketball.

Broad general statement from someone who doesn't know all the facts. One example:

Ryle Football 2014-5-7, 2015 9-3, 2016 12-1, 2017 8-3, 2018 2-9

This past season pretty tough but the last five as a whole pretty solid if you ask me.

Edited by Butterfingers
spelling