Bo Schembechler Dead

gametime

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the build up for this game had anything to do with it? I'm sure his blood pressure has probably been up all week.

I really don't think so. Yes he was still deeply involved with Mich. football and love them dearly. He has collapsed just a couple of weeks agao I believe the news said and has had several by pass surgerys. Sounds like it ws just his time to go. His heart just gave out. Again, with all respect - R.I.P. Coach. You will be missed by all of college football.

Absolutely not! These players were in diapers when Bo last coached the Wolverines.

Plus, players of today seem to have little or no sense of history...which is sad.

That's miles from the truth in regards to Bo and every UM team since 1969. He spoke to them yesterday, and made it a point to know every player in the program...

:thumb: :thumb: W/O Bo, Michigan has no football tradition imo. Great coach and a great man.

I don't offer this as an effort to be a wet blanket, only for the sake of accuracy. Michigan was regularly ranked in the top 10 under coaches Fritz Crisler and Bennie Oosterbaan, so there was a deep football tradition already in place.

It had fallen on hard times, however, before Bo got there. From 1957-61, there were no appearances in the AP top 20. From 1962-67, there was only one top 10 appearance (the AP only did a top 10 during those years). They were ranked #12 in 1968, the year before he got there.

While I agree that Bo embodied Michigan football, to say it had no tradition until he got there would be completely inaccurate. It would be more accurate to say he revived a sagging program and brought it back to the prominence it once enjoyed.

I will say this: I am indifferent about both OSU and UM. But I will have to cheer for UM tomorrow. I have too much respect for Bo and his contributions to college FB not to.

Bo still played a role for the Wolverines and speaking from exprience, the name Bo Schembechler is recalled often within the football program. Although the players never saw him coach, they knew exactly who he was and what this game meant to himself. If John Wooden were to pass away, I suspect the UCLA players would have a little motivation their next game... and they were not even close to being born when he coached.

I am sure the Michigan players knew who Bo was, as would the UCLA players know who John Wooden is. I don't think the death of a previous coach or even a hall of fame coach even registers to today's players. I don't see it as any extra motivation.

I am sure the Michigan players knew who Bo was, as would the UCLA players know who John Wooden is. I don't think the death of a previous coach or even a hall of fame coach even registers to today's players. I don't see it as any extra motivation.

Braylon Edwards was just on NFL Network talking about his relationship with Bo, and how he was always around. He still lived in Ann Arbor, and right up to this morning, was an every day part of life for everyone in Blue. This isn't a normal case study...

I don't offer this as an effort to be a wet blanket, only for the sake of accuracy. Michigan was regularly ranked in the top 10 under coaches Fritz Crisler and Bennie Oosterbaan, so there was a deep football tradition already in place.

It had fallen on hard times, however, before Bo got there. From 1957-61, there were no appearances in the AP top 20. From 1962-67, there was only one top 10 appearance (the AP only did a top 10 during those years). They were ranked #12 in 1968, the year before he got there.

While I agree that Bo embodied Michigan football, to say it had no tradition until he got there would be completely inaccurate. It would be more accurate to say he revived a sagging program and brought it back to the prominence it once enjoyed.

I will say this: I am indifferent about both OSU and UM. But I will have to cheer for UM tomorrow. I have too much respect for Bo and his contributions to college FB not to.

I see what you are saying Shue but imo Bo brought more attention to Michigan football than anyone or anything else. Maybe it was when he was there was more of a media spotlight on college football, I don't know. I do know that no one can think of Michigan w/o thinking of Bo. I am a big Ohio State football fan but as most fans, I respected Mr. Schembechler greatly. His "10 year war" with Woody was what college football is all about. I may be overlooking some but to me the only other rivalries that could begin to compare would be the Bama/Auburn, Oklahoma/Texas and maybe Fla./Fla. State. I will be pulling for my Buckeyes today vs. the bitter rival "school up north" but also will be remembering a great coach and person in Bo Schembechler.