2019 Jack Kaelin NKY Freshman Invitational Tourney

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CovCath defeated Ryle 50 - 37 in the championship game last night. Game was tighter than the final score shows but the future looks pretty solid for both of those programs. Congrats to CovCath

Good news for Ryle but I would be rather shocked if CovCath wasn't solid. Aren't they always supposed to solid? Shouldn't it be the norm for CovCath? Sounds like it was a great tourney.

Do they name all-tournament teams for Fresh and JV tournament this year?

If so who were some of the players who received the honor?

Freshman All-Tournament Team:

Beechwood - Brady Moore

Boone County - Jiyanni Mhlanga

Conner - Jaiden Elliott

Cooper - Montana Phillips

Cov Cath - Luke Lenhof, Leython Read, David Sullivan, Nick Boydston

Dixie Heights - Logan Landers

Highlands - Isaac Surrey

Holmes - Derris Boyd

Holy Cross - Dylan Arlinghaus

Lloyd - Ryan Davis

Ludlow - Ryan Gaiser

Newport Central Catholic - Luke Wiles, Preston Baggett

Newport - Robert Sanders

Ryle - Connor Bishop, Brayden Smith, Dominick Amorello

St. Henry - Owen Setters, Camden Fedders

Scott - Riley Huff

Simon Kenton - Hayden Carson

Walton Verona - Brant Smithers

Three in a row for CovCath, and I think about 7 out of last 8 maybe? Anyone? Lone loss to Holy Cross in 2016.

That streak will come to an end a year from now -- I would expect St. Henry and Beechwood to play for the FROSH title next year, if the bracket allows it. The one caveat is what FROSH don't play at that level next year. That is the advantage that CovCath often has, most other programs have their best 9th graders on JV or Varsity, CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level.

That streak will come to an end a year from now -- I would expect St. Henry and Beechwood to play for the FROSH title next year, if the bracket allows it. The one caveat is what FROSH don't play at that level next year. That is the advantage that CovCath often has, most other programs have their best 9th graders on JV or Varsity, CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level.

Covcath’ Frosh Stud, McHale didn’t play one freshman game this year.

You may be right, but CCH is getting a couple of kids who are not in their “feeder schools” again, which could change the narrative. St. Henry grade school is not a world-beater 8th Grade class (I’d argue the class before it was way better), but CCH feeder schools without question are down, and that allowed them to win every game, except one loss to St. Pius. The following year will be one of the better classes at CCH so the beat will go on.

Is Dylan Arlinghaus the son of Teddy?

No Teddy’s oldest is a fifth grader. This is Teddy’s cousin’s kid. Two of his nephews are on the team. Incidentally five Arlinghaus cousins/second cousins are on HC’s freshman team.

I know there are a minimum of 3 non feeder(Ohio) kids that will be going to Cov Cath next year. All 3 of these kids will start immediately and ultimately could have significant impact for Cov Cath in the upcoming years. I wouldn't be surprised if two of them see JV minutes. Cov Cath just keep reloading!

Covcath’ Frosh Stud, McHale didn’t play one freshman game this year.

I know. That is why I said CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level. Next year Starks won't play one second of FROSH basketball, but at a lot of programs, as I'm sure you know, that happens with a lot more regularity.

You may be right, but CCH is getting a couple of kids who are not in their “feeder schools” again, which could change the narrative. St. Henry grade school is not a world-beater 8th Grade class (I’d argue the class before it was way better), but CCH feeder schools without question are down, and that allowed them to win every game, except one loss to St. Pius. The following year will be one of the better classes at CCH so the beat will go on.

St. Henry didn't even win the CovCath league, St. Paul did (regular season) after beating St. Henry by 20 something a couple of weeks ago. They meet again at some point for the Tournament Championship. Paul beat Pius 2x by 20+ both times, Pius and Henry split in the regular season, and then Henry beat Pius in the semi's of the tourney last weekend.